Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s speculation. Truth is no one knows. We were all hoping October as that was when it changed the last few years. Since that hasn’t happened yet, and we don’t know why, the latest it’ll change is Jan 1.
My EDD will be NOV-DEC range, I am so afraid I will be the last person to get the 2021 model in the very end of 2021. Luck never likes me.

Does anyone know who actually assigns the VIN? The local Tesla store or the Tesla factory?
It's definitely a factory assignment. ViNs cannot (except 8n very unusual circumstances) he assigned or changed after the car leaves the factory, in fact to do so is quite illegal. Yes it happens all the time - by criminals to launder the title of ownership. This issue is rather fundamental throughout the industry.

The VIN numbers are traditionally stamped or etched in a few places on the car, some very obvious and some more hidden. Since the advent of computerized control modules, the VIN is also encoded into the firmware.

You'll note that people who discuss VINs online almost always use XXX for the trailing numbers, to avoid publicizing complete actual VIN numbers.

It's definitely a factory assignment. ViNs cannot (except 8n very unusual circumstances) he assigned or changed after the car leaves the factory, in fact to do so is quite illegal. Yes it happens all the time - by criminals to launder the title of ownership. This issue is rather fundamental throughout the industry.

The VIN numbers are traditionally stamped or etched in a few places on the car, some very obvious and some more hidden. Since the advent of computerized control modules, the VIN is also encoded into the firmware.

You'll note that people who discuss VINs online almost always use XXX for the trailing numbers, to avoid publicizing complete actual VIN numbers.
AHH, sorry, I mean assign to customers.

Does the factory assign the vin to customers, or the local store get bunch of vins, and salesman does the match?

thanks

Reactions: impastu
Okay now I understand your question. I cannot answer with authority because I don't work for Tesla. But as far as I understand it, the SA team matches VINs to customer orders according to a rather loose priority formula. Some people seem to think that cars come configured from the factory almost at random and then the matching is done at the point of delivery. However this doesn't make sense to me based on logistics nor on anecdotal evidence. Sometimes people call or chat with their SA and are told that their car is being built or has just been built but not yet shipped.

So I conclude that the factory knows the backlog of ordered configurations and populates a company database of the current and/or upcoming builds. The actual matching of an individual customer order to a VIN can then be done. It seems to be not exactly a build-to-individual-order situation, but a build to aggregated current demand. That's sensible because some things like paint color especially, but also motor configuration, upholstery etc. are more efficient if built in aggregated batches.

As a result, we see some variability of wait times. Some people, even in my area, who ordered my exact configuration after I did (after I re-activated my order) already have their cars. And back in June I was actually matched unexpectedly early to my original May order, a match I had to defer due to travel issues. I think your wait can be shorter if you have a diligent, proactive SA and/or if they happen to be sitting down to do VIN matching at an opportune time for your particular order. Or if someone refuses a delivery and they happen to see your order as a suitable match when they start looking. If you're less lucky, someone else might get matched to a VIN that could have belonged to you. Overall it kind of works out because there is some kind of wait-time factor the prioritizes the matching, so that people's deliveries don't just wait forever because of an inattentive SA or planning team. But it isn't a completely organized and fair first-come-first-served process, and there are reports of extremely short as well as extremely long waits.

Again I have to say that you should take my explanation as a reasonable guess, based on the evidence of many user experiences. If there's a really clear inside story of how this is done, I haven't seen it.

Okay now I understand your question. I cannot answer with authority because I don't work for Tesla. But as far as I understand it, the SA team matches VINs to customer orders according to a rather loose priority formula. Some people seem to think that cars come configured from the factory almost at random and then the matching is done at the point of delivery. However this doesn't make sense to me based on logistics nor on anecdotal evidence. Sometimes people call or chat with their SA and are told that their car is being built or has just been built but not yet shipped.

So I conclude that the factory knows the backlog of ordered configurations and populates a company database of the current and/or upcoming builds. The actual matching of an individual customer order to a VIN can then be done. It seems to be not exactly a build-to-individual-order situation, but a build to aggregated current demand. That's sensible because some things like paint color especially, but also motor configuration, upholstery etc. are more efficient if built in aggregated batches.

As a result, we see some variability of wait times. Some people, even in my area, who ordered my exact configuration after I did (after I re-activated my order) already have their cars. And back in June I was actually matched unexpectedly early to my original May order, a match I had to defer due to travel issues. I think your wait can be shorter if you have a diligent, proactive SA and/or if they happen to be sitting down to do VIN matching at an opportune time for your particular order. Or if someone refuses a delivery and they happen to see your order as a suitable match when they start looking. If you're less lucky, someone else might get matched to a VIN that could have belonged to you. Overall it kind of works out because there is some kind of wait-time factor the prioritizes the matching, so that people's deliveries don't just wait forever because of an inattentive SA or planning team. But it isn't a completely organized and fair first-come-first-served process, and there are reports of extremely short as well as extremely long waits.

Again I have to say that you should take my explanation as a reasonable guess, based on the evidence of many user experiences. If there's a really clear inside story of how this is done, I haven't seen it.
Thank you very much for this detailed explanation.

Just got my model 3 performance Vin - it's 2021. I also have resale concerns as i normally switch cars every two years. If I reject delivery, does anyone know if Tesla has to provide a 2022 Vin comes jan 1st.
No, they do not “have to”. Although, it is typical that they would sell everything (or nearly evertying) that they produce.

So while it is likely that if you wait till January 1, you are going to get a 2022. However, there is a chance you get matched with a car made in December and that is a 2021 if they do not cut over in November or December.

My Thought on 2022 VINs...

We will not see them until Tesla implements the front castings. It's a logical and smart step. There will be a lot of competition for the EV dollar come 2022, plus, throw in a probable tax incentive, extending Tesla's crash performance beyond their current leadership position. It's a differentiator.

4680s are an enigma today. From my understanding, they are required for Semi and Cybertruck. Technically, optional for everything else. Musk said at the shareholder meeting that 4680s will come "soon", but full production will not be achieved until late 2022.

I doubt that Tesla will permit you to delay a 2021 for a 2022. There is no upside for Tesla permitting you to do that. Once the 2022s are ready for production, it's either take delivery, or get to the back of the line, and pay the new price.

They have a 8-10 month backlog. We are not special.

Last edited: