Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my LR 2021 Y just about a year ago for $62k. Just signed a deal to sell it to a private party for $68k.

Ordered a Performance Y that shows and EDD of the last two weeks of December for $64k. Will pay for FSD subscription with the $4,000 difference between the sale price and purchase price before I get my Cybertruck. :) According to the Cybertruck tracker, it looks like I'm in the first 150 reservations, so hopefully that means I get one in 2022.

Thank you Tesla for allowing me to drive a Y for a year, make money on it and then buy a brand new one for less money.

Surprised also! Ordered White/White, 19” wheels, hitch on 09/23/2021.
Just received vin # 7SAYGDEE3NF……
& delivery date to Peabody, Ma from 11/16-11/20. Talked to Tesla rep. About this & my concerns about missing ev tax credits on the proposed delivery date. As you might expect, not much help or advice. However, could assign my vin to another & I would have until 12/22/2021 to have new vin assigned. Could be immediately or sometime in the future. Good news is you keep your current purchase price,.
My suspicion on the freeing up of this vin to me is that folks are declining taking delivery
because of when the ev tax credit start date.
Quandary, but a little time to think about it.
Also, should be interesting to see what my new trade value will be given the prior one has expired.
Everything I've read about the tax credit (both the senate and house versions) have the tax credit eligible retroactively to earlier in 2021 (May, if memory serves.) I could be mistaken, but worth looking into if the tax credit is a major concern.

Reactions: impastu
Took delivery of my LR 2021 Y just about a year ago for $62k. Just signed a deal to sell it to a private party for $68k.

Ordered a Performance Y that shows and EDD of the last two weeks of December for $64k. Will pay for FSD subscription with the $4,000 difference between the sale price and purchase price before I get my Cybertruck. :) According to the Cybertruck tracker, it looks like I'm in the first 150 reservations, so hopefully that means I get one in 2022.

Thank you Tesla for allowing me to drive a Y for a year, make money on it and then buy a brand new one for less money.
dang it normally vehicle is depreciated so no one talks about tax on gain, be careful buddy IRS x DMV work together, make sure to report.

dang it normally vehicle is depreciated so no one talks about tax on gain, be careful buddy IRS x DMV work together, make sure to report.
Legit lol'd on this one. The chances of them figuring that out, much less having formal a system to do so are more remote than the Tesla EDD algorithm being accurate on day of order! Cars have never appreciated, it's unprecedented. Some states have sophisticated valuation tools for private sales so they don't get hosed on sales tax but the IRS? Fat chance.

Surprised also! Ordered White/White, 19” wheels, hitch on 09/23/2021.
Just received vin # 7SAYGDEE3NF……
& delivery date to Peabody, Ma from 11/16-11/20. Talked to Tesla rep. About this & my concerns about missing ev tax credits on the proposed delivery date. As you might expect, not much help or advice. However, could assign my vin to another & I would have until 12/22/2021 to have new vin assigned. Could be immediately or sometime in the future. Good news is you keep your current purchase price,.
My suspicion on the freeing up of this vin to me is that folks are declining taking delivery
because of when the ev tax credit start date.
Quandary, but a little time to think about it.
Also, should be interesting to see what my new trade value will be given the prior one has expired.
Update. Dropped by Tesla store today. Car is built & should be on its way. Appt. To pickup 11/16/2021. Tesla lowballed my trade (cautionary tale)! Started on line with Vroom which increased trade value from Vroom over Tesla by $6,100…. But wait, visited local Car Max & their offer was 8,200 more than Tesla. My trade is an Audi, so visited that store & they matched CarMax offer. Even with the governors state sales tax ‘cause I did not trade in still 4,500 ahead. Woohoo!

That’s amazing! 😂

Update. Dropped by Tesla store today. Car is built & should be on its way. Appt. To pickup 11/16/2021. Tesla lowballed my trade (cautionary tale)! Started on line with Vroom which increased trade value from Vroom over Tesla by $6,100…. But wait, visited local Car Max & their offer was 8,200 more than Tesla. My trade is an Audi, so visited that store & they matched CarMax offer. Even with the governors state sales tax ‘cause I did not trade in still 4,500 ahead. Woohoo!
Which Audi is that?

Thx @Sam E . This is good info both on delivery and trade-in valuation. FWIW, I did a very fair trade-in to Tesla of an Audi A7 back in 2018 when they really needed to extend themselves in order to aggressively acquire new EV converts. Later, I traded-in a 2018 M3 for an MS and again later another M3 for a MYP. All pretty fair prices (esp on a tax-adjusted and hassle-adjusted basis). But the trade-in-anator algo spit out such an idiotic valuation for my sweet 2019 MS Raven Ludicrous Performance that I sold the car locally last month for a net $10,000 benefit to me and my buyer feels like he got an equally excellent deal for that car. So, it seems Tesla does not take trade-in valuations seriously any more. I’m fine with that for now in view of other ways to find very interested buyers. My 2 cents.

I think Tesla hates Audi :D I had a similar experience trading our A6, Carvana was over 20% better than what Tesla was willing to do, and with the TN sales tax on cars 7% is the break-even. I'd have probably still went with the trade-in if Carvana was only 10% better just for the convenience - we've been down a car for a week - but for over 20% I couldn't resist.

I think Tesla hates Audi :D I had a similar experience trading our A6, Carvana was over 20% better than what Tesla was willing to do, and with the TN sales tax on cars 7% is the break-even. I'd have probably still went with the trade-in if Carvana was only 10% better just for the convenience - we've been down a car for a week - but for over 20% I couldn't resist.
It’s not just Audi. it’s everything. Tesla is offering me $44k for a 2020 MY3P several dealers have offered $55k on. It’s especially sucky because if they would match, I could save that sales tax and frankly would be buying a MYP rather than an LR.

d
It’s not just Audi. it’s everything. Tesla is offering me $44k for a 2020 MY3P several dealers have offered $55k on. It’s especially sucky because if they would match, I could save that sales tax and frankly would be buying a MYP rather than an LR.
Guess we are lucky. In Missouri you can take credit for a vehicle sale towards tax as long as it’s within 180 days. But we pay our vehicle taxes separate from the dealer as part of our registration process. Leads to a lot of past due temp tags driving around though because people don’t plan for that bill and you can’t finance your taxes!

I ordered my 2021 Tesla Model Y LR in Knoxville, TN on Aug. 4 and was told it would be a December delivery. The Tesla account page kept bouncing the month-long delivery window from Oct to Dec to Jan to Nov. Yesterday I got my VIN# with delivery for the week of Nov 15-21 - and I have an "N" in the 10th position, WooHoo! My account page also now says my car is 2022 Tesla Model Y LR. My local Tesla SAs are kinda excited as it will be their first '22 MY delivered.

Everything I've read about the tax credit (both the senate and house versions) have the tax credit eligible retroactively to earlier in 2021 (May, if memory serves.) I could be mistaken, but worth looking into if the tax credit is a major concern.
This is definitely not true for the House version. It explicitly states the changes to the EV tax credit program apply to vehicles acquired after Dec 31, 2021. It will not be retroactive as currently written (and updated by the house as of yesterday).

The Senate version passed in August DID say the credit changes were retroactive to May, but that will have to be reconciled between the two chambers.

If this thing does get passed and signed into law before the end of the year as written we're going to have a weird situation where anyone who buys a GM or Tesla EV before 1/1/22 will be giving up $8k+.

I ordered my 2021 Tesla Model Y LR in Knoxville, TN on Aug. 4 and was told it would be a December delivery. The Tesla account page kept bouncing the month-long delivery window from Oct to Dec to Jan to Nov. Yesterday I got my VIN# with delivery for the week of Nov 15-21 - and I have an "N" in the 10th position, WooHoo! My account page also now says my car is 2022 Tesla Model Y LR. My local Tesla SAs are kinda excited as it will be their first '22 MY delivered.
Huge congratulations!

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
This is definitely not true for the House version. It explicitly states the changes to the EV tax credit program apply to vehicles acquired after Dec 31, 2021. It will not be retroactive as currently written (and updated by the house as of yesterday).

The Senate version passed in August DID say the credit changes were retroactive to May, but that will have to be reconciled between the two chambers.

If this thing does get passed and signed into law before the end of the year as written we're going to have a weird situation where anyone who buys a GM or Tesla EV before 1/1/22 will be giving up $8k+.
Yep…. Getting harder and harder to justify a 2021 delivery with that much cash on the table. Want to do my part for the environment as soon as possible but….

On the trade in stuff…. My trade offer for a `13 Toyota Highlander is very competitive with Vroom and Carmax. With the tax implications it’s basically a wash and I drive my old car into the Tesla lot and drive my new one home. A few hundred bucks is convenience charge IMHO. If I were the Audi guys above I’d sell outright and pay the tax