Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 40kWH delivery notice or email - who will it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always suspected that Tesla never really wanted to do the 40 kWh Model S, but felt that they had to have an offering at a lower price point to get people in the door. That strategy sort of worked for me, I ran the numbers, determined that I could afford the 40, so I put down a reservation. As it became more obvious that the winter highway standard charge range of the 40 is likely going to be closer to 100 miles than 160, I eventually concluded that the 40 would not do the job for me, as I drive 90 miles round trip one day a week, and a car with 100 miles range would not leave much room for error or battery degradation. Tesla lost my reservation when my repeated number crunching determined that I could not afford the 60, particularly with the higher than anticipated service costs.

If the 40 ends up having longer legs than I calculated, and it is still available when my Volt lease is up in 2015, it still may find a way into my garage. I have a gut feeling that the 40 is going to be a 2013 model year only car, and that after the first batch has been delivered, the 40 will be dropped from production. The fact that it will never be available in Europe is a good indicator of this.

I was told today that the factory will have finished building my car almost exactly two months from now. Oddly specific, but I'm very happy an end is in sight.

Hey Rifleman, on your 90 mile days is there any way to plug in at your destination?

Last edited:
Ouch, hikerockies!!!

Say it ain't so... Or at least say this was your time horizon, not all 40kwh...

My interpretation was this was a general statement for 40 kWH. Today another Tesla person said my specific 40 kWH car should be delivered in second half of June. I had already been thinking about 60 kWH just to get supercharger capability and was getting tired of constantly moving delivery time for 40, so I just upgraded to 60. I dropped tech package since I had come to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth ~$4000. That made the price increase more tolerable.

Hey Rifleman, on your 90 mile days is there any way to plug in at your destination?

Sadly no. I have tried repeatedly to convince the company that owns the building I work in to install a charger in the lot, or at lease let me access a 120v outlet, but have been shot down every time. Even offering to pay for it out of my own pocket did not work. My my 90 mile day, I only spend 10 minutes at the second destination (just long enough to pick up my daughter from Grandma's house), and while I do have access to a 120v outlet at that location, 10 minutes of level 1 charging is not going to solve this problem

Today I heard good news regarding 40 kwh cars. I can't reveal the source but it's very reliable. 40kwh cars began coming off the line yesterday, 3/28. The cars are undergoing a careful review prior to TM sharing the news and notifying the customers. Battery pack weight of 40's and 60's is extremely close so crash testing won't be required prior to deliveries. If everything goes as planned, the first 40's could begin delivery in mid/late April. I understand some had anticipated this timing but now it's confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

Today I heard good news regarding 40 kwh cars. I can't reveal the source but it's very reliable. 40kwh cars began coming off the line yesterday, 3/28. The cars are undergoing a careful review prior to TM sharing the news and notifying the customers. Battery pack weight of 40's and 60's is extremely close so crash testing won't be required prior to deliveries. If everything goes as planned, the first 40's could begin delivery in mid/late April. I understand some had anticipated this timing but now it's confirmed.
I almost forgot: Air suspension 40's will be first, followed by standard suspensions, and red 40's are not in the queue yet.

- - - Updated - - -

I almost forgot: Air suspension 40's will be first, followed by standard suspensions, and red 40's are not in the queue yet.

I hope your source is right. It would be welcomed news for us 40's.

, and red 40's are not in the queue yet.
This is consistent with my communication with Tesla. I had been discussing switching my color to red, and was told the window for making any changes was about to close. Decided to leave everything alone and just get my car. Finally makings 40's may also have something to do with the Tues announcement.... that all three models are in production, meaning the company is now making the mid volume, mid priced car as promised in Elon's 2006 secret plan blog.

Last edited:
This is consistent with my communication with Tesla. I had been discussing switching my color to red, and was told the window for making any changes was about to close. Decided to leave everything alone and just get my car.

I switched to Red in December after the 2nd (3rd?) delay was announced. I've been waiting 18 months, I can wait another 2...

Only problem is, if they're rolling off the line now, why no EPA numbers?

Today I heard good news regarding 40 kwh cars. I can't reveal the source but it's very reliable. 40kwh cars began coming off the line yesterday, 3/28. The cars are undergoing a careful review prior to TM sharing the news and notifying the customers. Battery pack weight of 40's and 60's is extremely close so crash testing won't be required prior to deliveries...

Sounds like battery weight will be identical to the 60's :)

Dunno, how much does the limiting software weigh :wink:

Speaking of weight, I am wondering exactly how the limiting will work. If they simply limit the battery to 2/3 of its capacity, that doesn't take into account the extra weight that the 60 kWh pack has over the 40, and the range will be less than it would have been with a lighter 40 kWh pack. The weight difference between the packs may not be much, but any reduction in range is concerning. I hope their algorithm to do the limiting considers the increased weight of the car so we get the same range we would have with the lighter pack.

While we don't exactly how they will implement the limiting, I'm hoping they will err on side of more than less. Meaning, a full charge could be a full range charge that we would have had to do on 40kw, but without the ill effects. The pack may charge to 50+ kw (a standard charge on the 60kw) and the software simply stops the car once 40kw has been used.

Even with the weight, the fact that the car most likely won't have any range degradation is a huge plus. Sort of like wear-leveling on an SSD for you techies.

Couldn't they make a range charge a full standard charge (90% of the 60 kWh) and also leave more padding at the bottom? It wouldn't give you any more range after you ran to 'zero' but the car could sit idle for much longer before there were major issues with the pack.