Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First experiences with our Model S (Dadaleus' story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poor dadaleus. Takes delivery of his amazing Model S only to be cornered by 13,000 torch bearing and pitchfork wielding reservation holders . . . :)

Ha! I love it. But I took my son and friends to Disneyland today (in the S!) so sorry for no input today. I'll try to answer some.

I owe measurement for the Skene bracket. I'll try to do that tomorrow or maybe someone will do at the meet up tomorrow?

I did not get a physical key. I will have to check the manual tomorrow, but I'm too exhausted to go get it right now.

I'm not sure on bookmarks for nav. You can with radio and songs so I'd expect so. Again, I'll try to figure this out in the morning. It does have quick access to past destinations which is what I've been using and is pretty easy.

Ha! I love it. But I took my son and friends to Disneyland today (in the S!) so sorry for no input today. I'll try to answer some.
I think you're spoiling them, dadaleus.

DadaleusJr: What'd you do this weekend?
Johnnie: Not much. Watched some football. How 'bout you?
DadaleusJr: Sounds fun. (smiling)
Johnnie: Ok, spill it.
DadaleusJr: I went riding in my dad's new Tesla Model S.
Johnnie: No way.
DadaleusJr: Yah, it's pretty sweet.
Johnnie: Where'd you go...
DadaleusJr: Um, well, ...
Johnnie: Where?!
DadaleusJr: Disneyland.
Johnnie: You suck.

efusco:

I was surprised that the tint seems fairly dark to me. I'm trying to decide if i want to tint it more, but i'm pretty sure its darker from the factory than other cars I've owned have been.

The only advice I got re car washes was that the paint is thin (which seems odd--so maybe I misunderstood and that was actually soft, not thin) and therefore I shouldn't let someone buff it too much.

One more thought on the Skene: I'm worried about the 1" lower clearance. I think this would have to attach to the bottom, and I suspect that will end up hitting the ground sometimes--which could be a real mess. But again, I'll try to be more specific tomorrow.

--
So had a lot of Tesla time today. I had no less than seven Disney emplyees, including a manager, getting a full tour of the car. And meanwhile I'm pretty sure there were several guests waiting for their cars. (Sorry to those people, but the valets had something more important to do at that particular moment!) I was surprised--a valet figured out how to unlock the car, unplug the charge cable, and start it going with no instruction. I had said he'd need me to go down with him and was sure he didn't have a chance. Suggests its more intuitive that I thought.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you're spoiling them, dadaleus.

DadaleusJr: What'd you do this weekend?
Johnnie: Not much. Watched some football. How 'bout you?
DadaleusJr: Sounds fun. (smiling)
Johnnie: Ok, spill it.
DadaleusJr: I went riding in my dad's new Tesla Model S.
Johnnie: No way.
DadaleusJr: Yah, it's pretty sweet.
Johnnie: Where'd you go...
DadaleusJr: Um, well, ...
Johnnie: Where?!
DadaleusJr: Disneyland.
Johnnie: You suck.

LOL and LOL...!

I just woke up my wife to read this to her!

efusco:

The only advice I got re car washes was that the paint is thin (which seems odd--so maybe I misunderstood and that was actually soft, not thin) and therefore I shouldn't let someone buff it too much.
!

They definitely need to provide a better answer than that - knowingly putting every car out there with thin paint (since every car is getting the same info on car washes) would mean major warranty claims. Soft would not be acceptable either.

They definitely need to provide a better answer than that - knowingly putting every car out there with thin paint (since every car is getting the same info on car washes) would mean major warranty claims. Soft would not be acceptable either.

Lexus has the "softest" paint of any car I've here seen. I mean wind with (fine)dust in it would scratch the paint. If Lexus can do it so can any other car company. I was hoping Tesla would go with the self healing paint (that means you can never wax or buff it)

I've definitely decided to go with Optimum's Opti-Coat 2.0 to be applied to the car. couple of extra microns of super hard clear to protect the original clear and paint. Not only keeps the original clear free of swirls and light scratches, but also makes washing the car easier.

According to the PlugShare app I have on my iPhone, there are outlets on the outer walls near the stairs in the Mickey & Friends parking structure. However, 2 of the 3 reviews mention that talking with the parking attendants about using the plugs is a less than happy experience. One review says to just find a plug and plug in without talking with the attendants.

There is also a ChargePoint station at the Anaheim Convention Center that is listed as free.
800 W. Katella Ave, Anaheim. "Enter Carport #1, Stations are on Level 2 Section 12G"

Really liking the PlugShare app. Here's the link.

Well, here are the 'manuals.' Really no manual--just a 'quick guide' of 30 pages. A fair amount seems firmware specific.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347813351.674773.jpg

I'm feeling slightly uncomfortable taking pictures of the pages and posting online--feels like a copyright violation. I'm hoping Tesla will post PDFs.

Regarding bookmarking locations, it isn't mentioned and I can't find a way to do it. But the history list works as well for me and is quick access. Maybe a future firmware release.

Regarding paint, the quick guide only says that if you go to a car wash, you should use a touch less one.

Re Disneyland, the hotel valets are generally accommodating in finding a 110 outlet to plug in. If you eat at a hotel restaurant, get a validation. I don't think this is official and they are just the random plugs around. Tip well for this favor if you use it because I'll be unhappy with you if you turn the valets against this practice!

efusco:

I was surprised that the tint seems fairly dark to me. I'm trying to decide if i want to tint it more, but i'm pretty sure its darker from the factory than other cars I've owned have been.
That's good to hear. Wouldn't mind saving the money on tinting considering the other costs.

Don't like the sound of that. Sounds like I'll need to look into this Optimum product or at least put a good polish on the car right away. I'd love to think I could just wash by hand, but this is going to be an every day car for me (as it will for most people) and since it's going to be black keeping it looking decent will be a challenge...meaning car washes. We have a few brushless washes around, perhaps I'll need to seek those out.

One more thought on the Skene: I'm worried about the 1" lower clearance. I think this would have to attach to the bottom, and I suspect that will end up hitting the ground sometimes--which could be a real mess. But again, I'll try to be more specific tomorrow.
Usually the front bumper isn't as low as the bottom of the vehicle, but you're right if it is that low or close too it an extra inch could mean the plate gets ripped off when you pull up to a curb...and that would not be good at all. I'll probably keep the front plate displayed since that's the law in Missouri, but I'd rather have it mounted with holes out of site than right through the front.

Okay, took some measurements:
It doesn't have to go on the bottom. It should work on the bottom of the black plastic bubble-ish part on the front of the car, in the top of the upper "grill" area in this picture:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347820521.372088.jpg

The upper grill is about 1-1/4th or 1-13rd inches high, so it looks like there is just enough clearance. It's about 2-1/4 inches deep.

All of these parts are rounded, hence the "about" disclaimers. That has me a little concerned about my measurements. but it sure seems like it should work.

I'm trying to decide if to get the Skene or wait for a fix it ticket or a more custom holder. But I'm in no hurry so someone else will probably have to test this before me.

I found out the factory bracket only drills through plastic and the plastic nose cone can be replaced. Not ideal but I may go this route since my car is shipping tomorow. Thanks for the measurements though. That will be very helpful for people ordering that.

Thanks again to Dadaleus.
I just got back from seeing his Model S in person. It was great to see a real world Model S. Dirt and all! :biggrin:
He's been really great about letting us all share in the excitement around the arrival of his Model S.

Two things I noticed which I hope are helpful to people
1) You can definitely see the 'line' of the paint protection on the Signature Red. But I did not find it distracting at all. It's just that it catches wax, dust, and dirt which makes it slightly visible.
2) There is of course dirt and brake dust that collects on the wheels and the gray wheels definitely make a difference in that department. It wasn't until I looked closely that I realized how dirty they were.

In all a beautiful and amazing car. I can't wait until mine comes!