Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First long trip. Which is the ideal charge situation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took a 250 mile round trip in my new long range MY. I avoided charging to 100% and instead charged to 90% the night before. When getting home, I was left with 6%. There was some traffic.

I have heard it’s not great to charge to 100% too often but also not good to run close to empty. In my situation would it have been better for battery to charge to 100% then end with 15%? I guess the question is - what is worse for battery preservation - charging to full or running close to empty?

Reactions: Msicario
Neither. I would charge to 100% and schedule it to hit 100% at your expected leave time in the morning. Coming home with <10% is no big deal. I have a 4-year old Model 3, and have taken numerous trips, all starting out at 100%. Gotten as low a 3% -- cold day and head wind -- before I pulled into the supercharger. Have only experienced the normal ~6% battery degradation (in 4 years).

Last edited:
Reactions: Msicario
I just took a 250 mile round trip in my new long range MY. I avoided charging to 100% and instead charged to 90% the night before. When getting home, I was left with 6%. There was some traffic.

I have heard it’s not great to charge to 100% too often but also not good to run close to empty. In my situation would it have been better for battery to charge to 100% then end with 15%? I guess the question is - what is worse for battery preservation - charging to full or running close to empty?
I regularly travel 150+ miles in one day. I charge to 100% the night before. Not a big deal. Just don't leave it at 100% for 12-24 hours, etc. Use the schedule on the app.

Neither. I'd look for a quick top up charging opportunity somewhere in the middle ore return trip. May be grab a coffee or bathroom break while using a SuperCharger. This way you will not need to charge past 90% nor below 20%.

This is what I try to do if a Supercharger is available. If not, charge to 95 or 100% just before you drive off and don't sweat it. Basically, do whatever you have to do. Personally, I like to have a spare margin if something unexpected happens and I need to make a detour or something unexpected happens. I try to get home with 20% just for that reason. I like having some spare juice in the car. That's just me.

I don't trust the scheduler. I set the car to charge to 90 or 95%, then when I first wakeup in the morning I use my phone to slide it up to 100% while I get ready.

I prefer to charge to 100% than risk running out, or making unnecessary stops. The battery has the additional capacity - use it.

Reactions: Rocky_H

There are a few caveats with charging to 100%
1-don't let it sit there for ages at 100%, try to set off close to when you finish charging.
2-regenerative braking is non-existent with a 100% charged battery

I've only ever needed a 100% charge a couple of times and have done several long road trips. Most of the time you will get a much faster charging rate if you arrive at a supercharger with a lower state of charge. So leaving with 80% and arriving at the supercharger with 10% will get you on your way faster than leaving with 100% and arriving at the supercharger with 30%.

Try planning your trip with abetterrouteplanner.com which will give you a really good idea of charging needs

Have fun with the trip!

In a good way bc it charges faster or a bad way bc that is somehow not good for battery?

Imagine you had to fill the trunk with suitcases, boxes and other paraphernalia. The first few would go in easily, just pick 'em up and chuck 'em in there. Then there'd be this one case where you had to push something over to the side before you could get it in, then the next one would have to go on top of something and before you know it you're spending more time rummaging around and reorganising than you are putting things in there

It's like that when you put the electrons back into your battery

Another 25 to 30 miles.
That is useful when you need it. However I wouldn't bother unless you can get to your destination without charging.
After a few long drives you find you usually stop at the superchargers closer to your home and you start becoming familiar with them, after that you rarely bother with the extra effort of timing charging and you find that carrying the extra miles heading into the supercharger just slows your charge time down.
It really depends where your first supercharger stop is.
Now I'm familiar with most of my routes out and their charging options, I can leave with 60% charge and easily make the first leg of the journey.
So now I don't bother doing anything special - but still check with abetterrouteplanner.com first :D

Most of the time you will get a much faster charging rate if you arrive at a supercharger with a lower state of charge. So leaving with 80% and arriving at the supercharger with 10% will get you on your way faster than leaving with 100% and arriving at the supercharger with 30%.
This is one of those interesting examples of someone getting a word problem wrong in math because they aren't able to think through the big picture.

You have one part of it right, but then come a wrong conclusion. If you arrive at 10%, your charging speed will be faster in those first initial moments. Correct.

But you need to look at the bigger picture. What is the end goal? The end of your charging session will be at some level that you need for the next leg of your trip.

So think it through. Let's say your target for leaving is 70%. You say that charging from 10% to 70% will be FASTER than charging from 30% to 70%. I assure you, it won't. Coming in at a lower level will show a faster instantaneous speed at first, but is literally adding extra time to the charging session.

... but that's only if you're heading south at 60mph but meanwhile a train leaves the station heading west at 50mph - also there's a ladder leaning up against a wall and a canon shell flying overhead

;)

and not unlike which freezes first, ice cold water, or slightly warm water 🥸

Good point though

Reactions: RSpanner

I’ll jump on my five year old Prius for that trip; Use about 6 gallons for about $20. No stopping, paying at the Supercharger or worries 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣😂

I second this - not having regen brakes after using it for so long, is a very scary feeling! That's why I top out at 90% always, just for that reason alone.

What does 100% get you that 90% cannot, anyways?
When I'm taking a trip in which I charge to 100%, I only have 3 light signals between my house and the freeway, so using the brakes 3x is not a big deal. Once on the freeway, Regen is restored in minutes (at 60+ mph).

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H