Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First NZ Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is seriously the coolest car on our roads. Through the ordering process, has Tesla given you any indication on whether they're planning on entering NZ anytime soon? Let the road tripping begin! If you're ever coming through Te Awamutu and happen to drive by someone who's tooting his horn, flashing his lights and waving his arms out of the window like a crazy person...
... That would be me. Congratulations, Steve. Have fun.

When you toot your horn in Te Awamutu does it have a truly sacred ring?

Does the car attract a lot of attention when you're driving it?
I see a lot of people snapping pics from the car behind me :)

- - - Updated - - -

This is seriously the coolest car on our roads. Through the ordering process, has Tesla given you any indication on whether they're planning on entering NZ anytime soon?
The latest word is, basically, don't hold your breath.
Let the road tripping begin! If you're ever coming through Te Awamutu and happen to drive by someone who's tooting his horn, flashing his lights and waving his arms out of the window like a crazy person...
... That would be me. Congratulations, Steve. Have fun.
I leave Auckland on Wednesday morning around 9am, drive to Taupo, charge there @ 22kW till I'm full then carry on to Wellington. I'm in Wellington all day Thursday, then on the overnight ferry to Picton, then driving straight to Christchurch Friday morning. I'm driving back to Wellington on Monday Dec 1, staying the night, then driving back to Auckland via Ohakune on Tuesday. I'm sure I could pop into Te Awamutu on the 2nd, but it would be around 7pm.

Congrats, Steve! This is really cool. NZ's one of my favorite countries and I still have fond memories of a visit almost exactly 5 years ago including the ferry crossing from Picton to Wellington.

If there's a country that can be a role model for going all EV at some point in the future, it's got to be NZ.

Please share the guaranteed-to-be-scenic pics of the car from throughout your trip.

I see a lot of people snapping pics from the car behind me :)

- - - Updated - - -

The latest word is, basically, don't hold your breath.

I leave Auckland on Wednesday morning around 9am, drive to Taupo, charge there @ 22kW till I'm full then carry on to Wellington. I'm in Wellington all day Thursday, then on the overnight ferry to Picton,
then driving straight to Christchurch Friday morning. I'm driving back to Wellington on Monday Dec 1, staying the night, then driving back to Auckland via Ohakune on Tuesday. I'm sure I could pop into Te Awamutu on the 2nd, but it would be around 7pm.
Aww, rats! We're JUST going to miss you! Heading down there to visit sister and bro-in-law on the 4th (he grew up in Chch); will be hanging around (only) South Island until the 23rd.

Today Johnwill installed New Zealand's first three-phase Type 2 EVSE on the outside of my industrial unit. 22kW = charging at 100km/h. I can't believe I'm giggling about a socket being installed :)

image.jpg

So, Tesla tells us there is a 3 phase EVSE device in development due for release early next year.
I really wonder why they need to reinvent the wheel? All they need to do is adapt the circuits from a unit like this to fit the wall connector housing, and make it hard wired rather than socketed, and "development" is done.

So, Tesla tells us there is a 3 phase EVSE device in development due for release early next year.
I really wonder why they need to reinvent the wheel? All they need to do is adapt the circuits from a unit like this to fit the wall connector housing, and make it hard wired rather than socketed, and "development" is done.

Yes, if only things were that simple. Just "borrow" the designs of a competitor, stuff it in a new housing and don't bother doing all the associated testing to ensure that it is a safe product.

Doing an experiment, ran the car to zero k's (and then some, maybe -5?)

Now to time a full charge.

That's not an experiment that I would recommend, especially with a brand new battery. It can be hard on the cells:

"Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses."

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University