Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First NZ Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg

So it looks like the total available pack capacity is just on 76kWh - worth knowing when planning with ev trip planner!
It's quite difficult to predict, because the amount of energy you can extract from the pack depends on so many variables. The easiest to predict and control (usually) is the power draw. The higher the draw the more gets lost (colloquially known as internal resistance). Other losses you can't control are parasitic like battery heating in cold weather.

Steve, you arrived with 2 km of range left? Is that right?

That would make me nervous!
I've had quite a bit of experience driving EVs. The "typical range" estimate on the Model S is pretty close, and it's not hard to compare it against Google's distance measure. My Model S Nav system doesn't work here - it is probably pretty good too.

Steve

It's quite difficult to predict, because the amount of energy you can extract from the pack depends on so many variables. The easiest to predict and control (usually) is the power draw. The higher the draw the more gets lost (colloquially known as internal resistance). Other losses you can't control are parasitic like battery heating in cold weather.

Do you know what your average speed was for that trip?

Steve, you arrived with 2 km of range left? Is that right?

That would make me nervous!

It can be extremely nerve racking. We arrived in Picton with 15km at the ferry line up. Luckly we were able to charge at 10A onboard and rolled off in Wellington with over 40Km range.

Cold, wet weather and upward terrain have quite an effect on range. That also works both ways. On our Taupo to Wellington leg, dropping over 1000m to sea level, we gained range. I.e our residual range in Wellington plus the distance travelled totalled more than the range we left Taupo with.

It's a whole different way of driving when going for maximum distance than the way you drive an ICE. Constantly trimming cruise control, judging stopping to use regen and no brakes, etc. Best fun I've had in ages. :)

Last edited:
At the Christchurch airport on 23 December, the security chap examining my carry-on looked at the t-shirt I was wearing - a stylized Model S - and asked "Is that a Tesla?"
"It sure is. Have you ever seen one?"
"No, but I hope to. You know the Chinese just bought the company. And the battery technology, too."
"Are you sure? If so, it must have been in the past two hours. I was just looking at the newsfeed before I flew in from Queenstown."

He decided that maybe he hadn't understood correctly an article he'd read/heard one or two weeks earlier....Regardless, am always happy to learn of obviously positive recognition of the auto.