Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time EV owner---> just found out moving to Midwest

What are your thoughts?

• I wish my wife worked

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Dentistry? why would you want to put your hands into someone's mouth?

• you go girl, chase that dream

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • Why are you bringing a Tesla to dental school in Missouri?

• do you cook too?

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I have this problem with my tooth. take a look.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going from 98 Camry to S 100D delivery of this Tuesday, then to get ceramic coat & clear bra.
Was just notified (shocked is a better word) that I have been accepted to dental school in Missouri.

Planning to drive myself from Portland with a few belongings of clothes inside model S as the dental program has mandatory start in a few weeks.

Is it best to pack light, ship the rest?

Any warnings or considerations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Algbc
...Any warnings or considerations?

Congratulations!

I am not familiar on how to get your route work with that link.

But otherwise, your plan looks great: Pack whatever you need for a start and send the rest later.

For a new EV driver, I would get familiar with how your dashboard battery gauge in RATED miles would compare to your GPS distance.

I thought my Model S 85 could go for 300 miles because I set it in ideal miles and I learned quickly.

Looks like you will be fine with Supercharger all the way to Kansas city.

After that, you will need to arrange charging routine at your destination.

Reactions: Pdxdesign
One consideration: Buy your next fancy car after paying off dental school.
Now, now, we know nothing about the young lady's financial situation to be giving advice such as that... perhaps she started & sold a startup, is wealthier than all of us combined, and she now desires to live out her dream as a dentist which she had to put on hold for the startup?

Going from 98 Camry to S 100D delivery of this Tuesday, then to get ceramic coat & clear bra.
Was just notified (shocked is a better word) that I have been accepted to dental school in Missouri.

Planning to drive myself from Portland with a few belongings of clothes inside model S as the dental program has mandatory start in a few weeks.

Is it best to pack light, ship the rest?

Here is the rout I am planning: goo.gl/NrQaRF

Any warnings or considerations?
I'm curious why it's worth coming all the way to Missouri for dental school. Missouri is my home state, but other than cost of living and some sweet BBQ, not a whole lot of reason to come here from so far away.

As you arrive at each supercharger, set up navigation to the next supercharger. The car will tell you how much juice you need(I prefer % to miles) to reach the next supercharger and what your buffer % will be when you get there. You'll probably be comfortable with 20%, but as you gain confidence and reach the flatlands 10% will be most time effective if you don't have a lead foot.

Put in flight plan, enjoy. Mother tes will tell you every charger, It even told me to slow below 75 or I would not make it to next charger.. now i charge extra 15 minute. Watch plenty of U Tube videos. My first drive was night from Atlanta to DC . Learned a lot that night.

Looks like you need to spend a day in Yellowstone and a day in Mt. Rushmore. Then there is this place, where I hear they have awesome rock concerts that 'people' come in from all over to see. Google Maps
I was excited about those opportunities, but I have changed my route and it seems it will be 3 days of driving, allowing me to get there on time. I'm posting my new route

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anyway to find more info about this charger? I looked up the type of charger, so I know it will charge very little over a long time.
I only know what I googled, so the same as you. The charging speed is in part dictated by the local power connection but you can *probably* expect at least 4 kW, have a fair chance of 6 kW, or be lucky and find close to 10 kW. Figure 3 - 4 miles or range per hour of charging from each kW rating.

If you have the setup and right to install your own EVSE where you will live that should be seriously considered. If you are renting, you might prefer a non Tesla J1772 EVSE like the Clipper Creek or ChargePoint that plugs into a 14-50 outlet. That way you can take the EVSE with you if you move and you only have to set up another 14-50 outlet at the new place.

• Informative
I'm curious why it's worth coming all the way to Missouri for dental school. Missouri is my home state, but other than cost of living and some sweet BBQ, not a whole lot of reason to come here from so far away.

Its a good question. Students travel nationally to gain training as a clinician. You release your dream career, apply to where statistically you have chance, and throw your application their way. I'm also on 2 other waitlists for different dental schools. I was very impressed with this particular school. Small class size of 42 is mostly unheard of. The usual is 80 -120 students. The new glass state of the art facilities are drenched in sunlight. The best school is the one that gives you an offer. You can not attend a school that did not give you an offer. It's very completive, a wholistic review of your adult life compared against thousands of other applicants. The training I will receive at this school will honestly be the best for my development as a competent clinician. The academic schedule is suited towards my learning style, exc.

Ha ha BBQ? Pretty sure the food scene in Portland can't be beat, but I love food.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I only know what I googled, so the same as you. The charging speed is in part dictated by the local power connection but you can *probably* expect at least 4 kW, have a fair chance of 6 kW, or be lucky and find close to 10 kW. Figure 3 - 4 miles or range per hour of charging from each kW rating.

If you have the setup and right to install your own EVSE where you will live that should be seriously considered. If you are renting, you might prefer a non Tesla J1772 EVSE like the Clipper Creek or ChargePoint that plugs into a 14-50 outlet. That way you can take the EVSE with you if you move and you only have to set up another 14-50 outlet at the new place.
Our estimates match.
Thanks that is a great suggestion. You saw how big the town is right? So I will drive like one mile to grocery... school is walkable. So maybe just weekend outings. After 4 years I will be a dentist with low miles on my Tesla S :p

Tesla says there is a 16 kW public destination charger in the town of La Plata at the Depot Inn Suites, 16 miles S of kirksville.
That might come in handy in a pinch, or maybe that is THE place to head to on Friday nights :)

By the way, congrats on your acceptance to dental school!

Last edited:
  • Funny