TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First Transcontinental Superchargers-only Road Trip: it's happening NOW!

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by stevezzzz, Jan 24, 2014.

1. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

+1! This was great, looking forward to making the trip in the future

2. Larry

Larry Member

Sure hope they make up for it when John hits Fremont but Jill won't be there. They could have made this a great pr piece, really missed a fantastic opportunity for positive pr in my opinion-father/daughter cross country trip for free...
    Someone in the pr dept is asleep at the wheel and there is no nav to drive for them. Fubar

3. The Fury

The Fury Member

Is the story missing now on tesla motors forum? The link doesn't work and I can't find it? Why would the long distance story be pulled?

4. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Are there no photos of this anywhere?

The Fury ... looks like TM is down for everything, not just this story.

5. hileyms

hileyms Member

Could it be that Elon on his trip will have to do it in an X otherwise it will not be newsworthy?

6. The Fury

The Fury Member

I see. The whole forum is down. I just clicked through and nothing was there.

7. callmesam

callmesam Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Took ok these right when john and Jill arrived.

8. Cestevenson

Cestevenson Member

Omar Sultan posted on the Tesla Motors Facebook page under Recent Posts by Others. There is a photo of Jill, John and other Tesla owners who met them at Hawhorne. Only 3 likes so far.

I posted a comment:
    "Congratulations Jill and John! It was thrilling reading your story as you made this historic journey. Thanks for sharing it."

It was a wonderful, positive story that brightened the week. Glad to have a Tesla for many reasons and people like these, the pioneers and the ones encouraging them and meeting them along the way make it really a special community.

- - - Updated - - -

Link to Omar's Facebook post is at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201842414036733

9. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D

Elon retweeted PlugShare's tweet about John/Jill's accomplishment, and he also tweeted this: "Two teams from Tesla aiming to set a cross-country EV speed record this week. Departing Fri from LA, arriving Sun in NY."

And this: "Will be doing the LA-NY family road trip over Spring Break. Made everyone watch National Lampoon's Vacation as prep."

- - - Updated - - -

[grumpy grumble photographer nerd grumble...]

These are all nice-to-have pics documenting the pair's arrival at Hawthorne; but didn't anyone bring a real camera?

10. Brett

Brett Member

Agreed. Sigh. Grumble.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Do they even sell "real cameras" anymore--other than the $40K+ professional ones? :)

12. callmesam

callmesam Member

@TAM had a pretty nice non SLR camera. The press will likely have some photos up and posted.

13. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D

#54 stevezzzz, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

15. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

OMG, I had no idea digital photography has gotten this far. Is there room for film any more?

16. napabill

napabill Active Member

Short answer...no.

17. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

I'm a huge fan of TechCrunch, but that article is crap. It's not even correct information. I replied with the statements that needed to be corrected in the comments but it was never updated.

Also Tesla gave J&J credit today on their Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152167092157801&set=a.398080447800.166146.18790602800&type=1&theater

18. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

It looks like they have now fixed at least two of the screwups about roadsters using superchargers and the total number of stations:

"This achievement now makes it possible to drive a Tesla Model S from LA to NYC, recharging the vehicles exclusively through Superchargers."
    "Tesla’s website now brags there are 85 such charging stations across the lower 48 and part of Europe."

But I agree it's still not a stellar article. I completely don't understand the last line of the article: "Tesla, shut up and ship it."