Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First winter. Wh/mi ouch.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to admit, though, that ICE loss of range is far less of a problem than EV because ICEs heat the cabin on what is essentially waste heat anyway, whereas EVs have to divert their limited drivetrain energy to convert it to heat.

Indeed. Long time since I've owned an ICE, so things may have improved, but the "set off cost", in Winter, of warming the battery and cabin (both using "fuel") I reckon is similar (unless things have improved in ICE world) to the ICE having to get up to temperature, and pollution controls kicking in to prevent unburnt stuff coming out the exhaust.

Although some ICEs do warm up remarkably quickly

Do he posh ones have pre-condition? Is that an electric heater, or does the ICE start?

Indeed. Long time since I've owned an ICE, so things may have improved, but the "set off cost", in Winter, of warming the battery and cabin (both using "fuel") I reckon is similar (unless things have improved in ICE world) to the ICE having to get up to temperature, and pollution controls kicking in to prevent unburnt stuff coming out the exhaust.

Do he posh ones have pre-condition? Is that an electric heater, or does the ICE start?
I would imagine the ICE starts, but not having driven one in years (and having no interest in going back) I wouldn't be able to tell for sure.
I do hate the very cold mornings in the neighbourhood when multiple cars are running and spewing fumes (which are especially stinky because cold engines run on a richer mixture) while people wait for their windscreens to thaw.... Sooner that goes away the better.

To illustrate and for the data nerds out there

My MY efficiency over the last month :
1701687502785.jpeg

What it was back in July:

1701687527921.jpeg

Essentially, in November, I used 150kWh to do 343 miles. So yeah, twice the battery capacity to cover the 'rated' WLTP mileage.
That's roughly 180 miles max range on a full charge for my MYLR. City driving, very little motorway.

Reactions: Mistake Not

Can confirm every recent ICE I've driven that has pre-condition via mobile app starts the engine (being either AC in summer or heating in winter).

To illustrate and for the data nerds out there

My MY efficiency over the last month :
View attachment 996229

What it was back in July:

View attachment 996230

Essentially, in November, I used 150kWh to do 343 miles. So yeah, twice the battery capacity to cover the 'rated' WLTP mileage.
That's roughly 180 miles max range on a full charge for my MYLR. City driving, very little motorway.

Does your Y have a heat pump? If so, I thought the heat pump is suppose to reduce the variation a bit. Though my old Nissan Leaf that had a heat pump was still S***T in winter, it really was a true city only car when temperatures hit below 10 degrees.

[/QUOTE]

Just done a 460 round trip over 3 days North to Midlands and back, well loaded - 2 adults, 2 dogs (50kg together), 18C AC plus loads of kit and presented etc. Day Temp never above 2C, nights -4-5C Tesla Y LR outside every night. Averaged 303 Wh/mile cruising mostly at 70mph motorway. Summer same journey 253 Wh/mile. Approx 17% drop in Wh/mile. Cost of journey -home charge then SCs £44, approx 10p/mile. So range drop but still very cost effective, not to mention the comfort. The odd extra stop for 15-20mins SC (plus toilet break etc) very worth while I think.

Reactions: Mistake Not
And I thought EVs were supposed to save the planet!
Up to when I got a EV, used to idle the ice car for such things but now I no longer have to, whilst not risking it being stollen at my expense. Hopeless if it was a diesel as it took a very, very long time.

My house heating is also on 24/7 based on tempeature being set to 20 celsius except from 23:00 to 06:00 which ill let it drop to 15 celsius.

Some of us have come to realise that you only live once and the more comfort the better hence in my case at least an EV helped the situation plus saves the environment a bit.