Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Fisker’s Battery Breakthrough Claim: 500 Miles Range, 1-Minute Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fisker, the company behind a luxury electric vehicle dubbed the EMotion, said today that it is pursuing patents for a battery technology breakthrough that will give cars a 500-plus mile range and one-minute recharging times.

The technology is based around solid-state batteries that offer a surface area greater than existing flat thin-film solid-state electrodes, and with better conductivity. The project is led by Dr. Fabio Albano, VP of battery systems at Fisker and the co-founder of Sakti3, a solid-state battery tech company acquired by Dyson.

GreenCarCongress, which spotted the patent, quoted Albano:

“This breakthrough marks the beginning of a new era in solid-state materials and manufacturing technologies. We are addressing all of the hurdles that solid-state batteries have encountered on the path to commercialization, such as performance in cold temperatures; the use of low cost and scalable manufacturing methods; and the ability to form bulk solid-state electrodes with significant thickness and high active material loadings. We are excited to build on this foundation and move the needle in energy storage.”

Fisker has made several eyebrow-raising claims. The company says the forthcoming $129,000 EMotion will pack a 400-mile electric range and a top speed of 161 mph. The company also claims that a nine-minute charge will take the car 100 miles. Production of the car is set to begin in 2019, but the company does not expect to bring its battery breakthrough to market until 2023.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Fisker's announcement sounds GREAT... until you hear the detail that they don't expect to mass produce the 500 mile/1-minute charge(!!) pack in volumes sufficient for cars until 'post-2023'. Whatever that means.

And they should've added, "We hope." :confused:

I mean, EV companies are famous for blowing deadlines. And Fisker would have to stay in business until 'post-2023' to bring this to the auto market. Last time out, they lasted 6 1/2 years before going defunct, so, it might be close. ;)

Also, regular Li-on batteries are a moving target. How much will they have improved by then? How much cheaper will they be by then?

Fisker's announcement is 'WOW!' on the face of it, underwhelming once you think it through.

To me, it sounds like pure investor-bait 'til proven otherwise. YMMV.

(now, where'd I put my 10-Gigawatt charging adapter for that 1-minute charging time?)

Reactions: APotatoGod
If you read the article, it says 100 miles in 7 minutes. That 1 minute/500 miles claim is click bait.

100 miles in 7 minutes is doable.
Actually it's 9 minutes, and that's for the "upcoming" E-Motion they plan to build in 2019.

However they also do say they are "pursuing" the 500mile/1minute batter technology.

In other news, I'm "pursuing" unicorns... [1]

[1] I really should check the flame ducts...

Hey wanna hear something REALLY funny? Back in 2010, I had $40k to invest. I wanted to invest in Tesla, but it wasn't public (yet). So then I figure Fiskar was a good way to go (at the time I thought both were going to succeed with Fiskar having an edge). They weren't public either, but I saw that the company that developed their motors was public. So I "invested" (somehow in retrospect that doesn't seem like the right word) into QTWW. QTWW used to be "Quantum World Wide" or something like that... looking it up now redirects to "QF Liquidation inc". I think I paid around $4 a share and I see now it trades at $0.0164. I sold at some point for a total divestiture of under $2k.

I don't invest any more, having discovered I'm really, really bad at it.
You're not bad at it from one loss. But if that was your entire portfolio well - um - no comment.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
You're not bad at it from one loss. But if that was your entire portfolio well - um - no comment.
Not my entire portfolio, no... but it also wasn't my worst transaction lol.

Let me put it another way: My entry into the stock market was in March of 2009. If you look at the charts, you'd think I was a genius because I pretty much timed the bottom exactly. From that point to the time I gave up - early 2015 - we saw unprecedented recovery and growth. People were easily making double digit returns, with many people making triple digit and higher. I averaged under 6%.

I think Bobo the Clown's Monkey, Jeff, did better with his dartboard method than I did.

Reactions: csalvato
Not my entire portfolio, no... but it also wasn't my worst transaction lol.

Let me put it another way: My entry into the stock market was in March of 2009. If you look at the charts, you'd think I was a genius because I pretty much timed the bottom exactly. From that point to the time I gave up - early 2015 - we saw unprecedented recovery and growth. People were easily making double digit returns, with many people making triple digit and higher. I averaged under 6%.

I think Bobo the Clown's Monkey, Jeff, did better with his dartboard method than I did.

Don't be so hard on yourself boss :) At least you're in the game. Most people are too scared to try.

Why would anyone believe this loser? Fisker went out of business once, was sued by Tesla for stealing ideas, and has already broken one promise about this new car's battery. The guy has no credibility. ZERO. He's not an engineer, he's a cushy designer who has no concept of FUNCTION. The old Karma was a POS. Expect the new one to be a bigger POS.