Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix-it Ticket : No Front Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in CA as well, and when we picked up our MS it had a front plate bracket when I had specifically asked for no bracket. (My ID image was taken in Fremont when we picked up the car.) They said it was required. That bracket was on there to stay! The screws were proprietary and would not come off with any known tool. At the same time, the M3s were sold without the front bracket. I asked our city's police chief how much trouble I could get into for not having a front plate, and he said if I was stopped for some other infraction, I would probably get cited for no plate, otherwise it would likely not be an issue. I live where there are a LOT of Teslas, and I would guess at least 60% have no front plate. I love the suction cup idea. I will add those to the plate that resides in the frunk. I figure if I don't drive like an idiot, I'll be fine.

It took forever but Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets finally got the universal generic kit back in stock, I ordered one and put it on my Model 3 over the weekend.

It is a pretty good solution. It has a metal pad and bolt that uses heavy duty automotive adhesive to stick to the car. The plate/bracket then screws on with a thumb screw and washer. Looks pretty clean and most importantly for me, if someone runs into the car it won't seriously damage the bumper cover... it can also be removed quickly if I'm detailing the car.

To permanently remove it would need to heat it up with a heat gun or hairdryer and twist it off but should clean up pretty good. I put the pad where you would never see any residual adhesive anyway and it's glued to a clear bra not paint so not worried about it at all.

As to the "running without a front plate". I have done it in the past and I have been stopped for it in the past. It's just one more reason for the cops to stop you. You might be going 10 over the speed limit and they would normally let it slide but you have no front plate so that's one more infraction they can cite you for, one more thing that makes them pay more attention to your vehicle. Not worth it for me.

I live in CA as well, and when we picked up our MS it had a front plate bracket when I had specifically asked for no bracket. (My ID image was taken in Fremont when we picked up the car.) They said it was required. That bracket was on there to stay! The screws were proprietary and would not come off with any known tool.
Unless Tesla very recently changed something, it's not difficult to remove the front plate holder on a post-refresh Model S. You can remove the proprietary screws with angled needle-nose pliers. After taking off the holder, you'll see a plastic mounting plate which is glued to the car with automotive adhesive (just like the Model 3 holder) and can be removed relatively easily using a heat gun. I helped a friend do this last year and it works well. However, he has since received several fix-it tickets while parked in downtown San Jose, so I'd not necessarily recommend it. ;)

Here's a helpful video:

You receive a letter from the DMV (just prior to getting the wrap) that you are a participant in the license plate pilot program and are authorized to use the license plate wrap.

Installed mine two weeks ago, about as low on the front face as I could, so as not to interfere with the front radar. The instructions state to apply from the top to botton of the wrap, but I did it starting from the bottom in order to get the edge even with top edge of the air inlet. It's a high quality item and seems to be as reflective as the standard metal plate.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
You receive a letter from the DMV (just prior to getting the wrap) that you are a participant in the license plate pilot program and are authorized to use the license plate wrap.

Installed mine two weeks ago, about as low on the front face as I could, so as not to interfere with the front radar. The instructions state to apply from the top to botton of the wrap, but I did it starting from the bottom in order to get the edge even with top edge of the air inlet. It's a high quality item and seems to be as reflective as the standard metal plate.

do you park in metered areas where citations are written for 'no front plate?'

conversations with 4 of my local officers today (they pulled out vehicle code)
indicated that they'd write the citation because there is no reference to this
pilot program for stickers, and if your not with your parked vehicle, the officer
has no reference to dmv paperwork?

city clerk indicated owner would still be responsible for fees after violation
had been corrected by visit to police station, which is exactly what I'm
hoping to avoid, as of now I have the OEM plate/bracket w/amazon
suction cups for parking in metered areas, if I remember to suction
in place!

I don't like the hassle. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190730_075817_705.jpg
    IMG_20190730_075817_705.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: elf9
I don't like the hassle. :)

That looks high enough that it would interfere with the radar. Any issues?

I wish I had installed mine that high. It seemed that if I did it that high it would have been higher than the stock plate bracket. And I was afraid of radar interference. Mine looks a little ridiculous with the bottom edge wrapping into the top edge of the inlet.

Sad to hear that allegedly they will ticket for no front plate anyway. That would be some bull crap right there. I doubt whether it is true, but if so, what a bunch of lazy dummies. Perhaps that is too harsh? How hard would it be for them to look it up on the Internets? Or add the program to their little code sheet sheets or whatever they use.

None at all. That's the lowest i could get. I was on a bracket before, which was way higher.

Definitely should have mounted mine higher it seems!

Confused though, because I am fairly sure the bottom of the plate is slightly intruding into the top edge of the inlet when using the stock mounting bracket. I tried to make the top edge of mine approximately the same height as it would have been with that stock bracket. Which makes it look mildly ridiculous since it slightly wraps into the inlet. All the letters/numbers are above the inlet top edge at least...

I have a delivery for my Model 3 is in 3 weeks and I live in Hawaii where we are required to have front plates so I've been curious about this issue. Its easy to spot a Tesla from far out on the road here because they never have front plates. After talking to cops at the local plate lunch spot I was told that (at least on my island Maui) they will never pull you over for a lack of front plates. If you get pulled over for something else though there is no guarantee you wont get a ticket for the plate. They just told me not to speed and dont drive without brake lights XD

This kind of reminds me of when I was still in Cali. I had a CBR 600 and I took the stock front turn signals out for a pair of LEDS that were flush against the body which is illegal in Cali, but a cop told me they wont pull you over specifically for that issue. A lot of cops go riding on their time off and their bikes are illegal as sh!t, the same as everyone elses haha.

That looks high enough that it would interfere with the radar. Any issues?

I wish I had installed mine that high. It seemed that if I did it that high it would have been higher than the stock plate bracket. And I was afraid of radar interference. Mine looks a little ridiculous with the bottom edge wrapping into the top edge of the inlet.

Sad to hear that allegedly they will ticket for no front plate anyway. That would be some bull crap right there. I doubt whether it is true, but if so, what a bunch of lazy dummies. Perhaps that is too harsh? How hard would it be for them to look it up on the Internets? Or add the program to their little code sheet sheets or whatever they use.

my coffee with local officers brought out the vehicle code book,
they looked thought the licenseplatewrap web site, and equally
scoured the vehicle code book, and could find no reference or
explanation of the pilot program, and as a friendly guidance offered
that sticker alone abscent owner’s presence to present pilot program
documentation would likely result in citation for improperly displayed
front plate, as in no plate.

just reflecting on officer’s point of view, as I too don’t want the hassle!

conversations with 4 of my local officers today (they pulled out vehicle code)
indicated that they'd write the citation because there is no reference to this
pilot program for stickers, and if your not with your parked vehicle, the officer
has no reference to dmv paperwork?

had been corrected by visit to police station, which is exactly what I'm
hoping to avoid, as of now I have the OEM plate/bracket w/amazon
suction cups for parking in metered areas, if I remember to suction
in place!
I try to avoid parking in metered areas, LOL.

It doesn't surprise me that the rank and file officers are oblivious to CA state legislation bills that have passed (Assembly Bill AB-1614 Vehicles: license plate pilot program, An act to amend Section 4853 of the Vehicle Code, relating to vehicles) this year, and previous years --- typical government (both state and federal) mis-communication.

In addition to pasting your sticker license plate to the front bumper, you're suppose to call the DMV to provide them with the date of installation. Hopefully, that'll become another official DMV record, in addtion to the signed letter (I have no idea who the signer is, LOL) from the CA DMV ... but, who knows. :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah, my stock mounting bracket did that too ... which is why I placed the lower edge of the sticker plate at the very top of the inlet.

if you have a pic, please post it!

in addition to educating my local officers,
I'll have to choose to mount license wrap
either on the lower vent line or slightly
above as did jge968...

I have never been citied for 'no front plate'
other than public parking either in city metered
areas (easy kill for officers) or airport parking,
again an easy kill!

I currently have OEM bracket w/amazon suction
cups to pop it on when parking, except I'm more
tired of the tacky looks I get when attaching &
removing then I would be of a flush solution!

and NO the license wrap doesn't look uglier
than the HOV stickers! given the minimal HOV
lanes in san diego county, I keep HOV stickers
on the clean-cling.com solution till I'm driving
freeways w/HOV lanes.

Got a "warning" for speeding and of course issued a fix-it since I refuse to put on the front plate on my model 3.

Should I just pay it in full or any recommendations for "looks permanent but actually removable" front plates? Do the cops actually buy those?

What happens if I get another one in the future?

In CA there is a company that sells vinyl stickers that can replace the front plate.

Tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento

Edit: Doh didn't realize this thread was old, and 7 pages long, someone probably already suggested this.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
That's based on people's unwillingness to spend time fighting it, which just means they are empowering a city clerk to overrule state law.

I'd personally take it in front of a judge and get the abusing authority to cover the costs. And I'd keep going, because once you get a real judge then you win. It just requires a time investment, but I'm stubborn like that. I'd also ask the court to enjoin the city clerk from enforcing any fees in such a situation. Nothing like delivering a court order to a clerk telling them they can take a hike and reminding them that the term "clerk" in their title is meaningful.