Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix-it Ticket : No Front Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got pulled over in Irvine for tint (35%) and no front plate. Don't have a front plate on any other car.
Anyone recommend a front plate mount?
I wonder if I can ignore the ticket (they have my info) but I didn't sign it and they wrote the model and plate number incorrect.

I got pulled over in Irvine for tint (35%) and no front plate. Don't have a front plate on any other car.
I wonder if I can ignore the ticket (they have my info) but I didn't sign it and they wrote the model and plate number incorrect.

Suction cups. Got them on Amazon. Sticks well and comes off easily.

Attachments

• 654E24E4-8952-47B2-BC13-E6FD3D1C815A.jpeg
    654E24E4-8952-47B2-BC13-E6FD3D1C815A.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 124
  • CB66A4CB-06CC-45A4-B0B9-AB26B137177A.jpeg
    CB66A4CB-06CC-45A4-B0B9-AB26B137177A.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: whatthe2
I put down PPF where the plate goes and then installed the factory mount. I don’t understand why people would pay money for an aftermarket one.
And they pay $$$ for one too, because well, Tesla.

35% is pretty light. What have you done to catch their attention?

And in Irvine no less where 1 out of 3 cars got tint and no front license plates. I actually have never heard of anyone got "pull over" for just tint and/or no front plate in SoCal. Maybe he pulled you over for something else but didn't tell you and let you go easy on just tint and no front plate? Like rolling a stop sign or something?

Irvine PD

And in Irvine no less where 1 out of 3 cars got tint and no front license plates. I actually have never heard of anyone got "pull over" for just tint and/or no front plate in SoCal. Maybe he pulled you over for something else but didn't tell you and let you go easy on just tint and no front plate? Like rolling a stop sign or something?

I actually saw him hiding (motor cycle cop) at a new stop sign so I did stop fully and did everything correctly.

46949877-8077-402B-A890-A5B1A360819E.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Absolutely! I have not had one for about the past 15 years. Average about a fix-it ticket every 2.5 years. Usually get a cop buddy to sign off on it. Totally worth it for me to have a clean looking front end. Plus, I see no point in a front plate if you've got one in the rear already. If it was that crucial, it would be law in every state.

Overall, I think its a good law even though some of us ignore it. Police are not the only ones that need to see plates- think of what happens if you get dinged in a parking lot and you've got Sentry mode enabled. Sometimes the only recourse you have is to go after the owner based on the plate information.

As for myself, I purchased the Bandit, but in the end, did not mount it. I was a little concerned about what might happen to the front grill if a car came at it at an angle while parking in front of me. I haven't heard any reports of grill damage, but it is something I remain curious about.

I already had the PPF from installing HOV stickers, the roll was $12 :p

If I need to remove it I’ll just warm it up, yank it off and remove the film
You can do the same with the adhesive on the front plate holder. ;) It's really not that hard to remove and doesn't leave any damage. I don't really see a reason to use PPF. It's a different story with the damn CA HOV stickers since they are designed to fall apart and leave behind pieces when you try to remove them. Since the white stickers expired, I see tons of Teslas with the remains of stickers that their owners tried to remove ...

You can do the same with the adhesive on the front plate holder. ;) It's really not that hard to remove and doesn't leave any damage. I don't really see a reason to use PPF.

I used PPF to protect from the plate mount itself in case it rubs on the paint.

It's a different story with the damn CA HOV stickers since they are designed to fall apart and leave behind pieces when you try to remove them. Since the white stickers expired, I see tons of Teslas with the remains of stickers that their owners tried to remove ...

Everything about those stickers is a debacle. The people involved with the planning, design, rollout, and manufacturing are all morons.

• Love
Reactions: Sherlo and Luudcrs
I honestly just didn't like the idea of having a front plate that wasn't secured by anything but sticky tape. I've had enough things using that stuff fall off randomly after some time.

The last thing I want is for my front license plate to be one of those things; especially as It would be unlikely I would find it later.

The Bandit that I have looks nice, is secured by a mechanism that tightens and doesn't require that I touch the paint job of my car at all. It was worth it for me. <shrugs>