Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix-it Ticket : No Front Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will sentry mode really help smash n grab in California? I am under the impression that due to it being a misdemeanor (unless you can PROVE that the car was locked- and a smashed window isn't considered proof), it's not worth pursuing by police or district attorney. Here's the stats:
Of the nearly 30,000 car break-ins in San Francisco last year, the police department made arrests in just 1.7 percent of cases, totalling 790 arrests, according to data provided by the police department and district attorney’s office. Of those taken into custody, most were never sentenced to jail time.
If that is the case, what would a video do to change the behavior? Will sentry mode contain the vehicle lock status as a video overlay to help prosecutors? Will Sentry mode only function if the car is locked? Lots of questions!

It's pretty hard for law enforcement to really do anything about smash and grabs unless you have a video of the incident. I'm hoping that Sentry mode will help with this.

chicken n egg rational doesn't really work with human behavior,
CA doesn't enforce it's laws, the result is rationalization of why
is offered to the victims? seems that if there was a bounty on
smash n grabs, the problem would be self solving!

it's mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
CA doesn't mind that theft via smash n grabs go unprosecuted?

I don't think any states can protect from 'smash & grabs'
butt they can sure dissuade by prosecuting them...

so we have government deciding which laws they
choose to obey, as in overlooking 'smash & grabs!'
Last I checked, the change of those crimes from felony to misdemeanor was passed on a ballot proposition by voters. So not "the government" unless you accept that the people are the government.

Maybe a lot of people have come to the realization that "put people in prison" hasn't really worked out as a one-size-fits-all approach.

No one wants to have their car broken into and something stolen, but that doesn't automatically lead one to conclude that a prison sentence is that appropriate response.

Last I checked, the change of those crimes from felony to misdemeanor was passed on a ballot proposition by voters. So not "the government" unless you accept that the people are the government.

Maybe a lot of people have come to the realization that "put people in prison" hasn't really worked out as a one-size-fits-all approach.

No one wants to have their car broken into and something stolen, but that doesn't automatically lead one to conclude that a prison sentence is that appropriate response.

I’m guessing your suggesting that not enforcing
or shrugging shoulders at what appears to be a
law still on the books being largely ignored is OK?

by suggesting that a prison sentence alone should
be levied at the criminals convicted of such acts is
justification for looking the other way?

how many broken windows in your home or garage
are you willing to tolerate?

how do you suggest as a society that theft, breaking
an entering be handled?

Got a "warning" for speeding and of course issued a fix-it since I refuse to put on the front plate on my model 3.

Should I just pay it in full or any recommendations for "looks permanent but actually removable" front plates? Do the cops actually buy those?

What happens if I get another one in the future?
Just put the front plate on, or find a state that doesn't require one and move. There's no reason to continue to be in violation of the law.

So you feel entitled to pick and choose which laws you will obey? Oh.
As a driver on California freeways, you know that the average speed of traffic is 10 to 15 mph over the posted speed limit, including semis. The CHP seems fine with that since they allow it to happen. So yes, people and the CHP are entitled to pick and choose which laws to obey. (not that I agree, but that's the way it is in every State)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: peebrayne
chicken n egg rational doesn't really work with human behavior,
CA doesn't enforce it's laws, the result is rationalization of why
is offered to the victims? seems that if there was a bounty on
smash n grabs, the problem would be self solving!

it's mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
CA doesn't mind that theft via smash n grabs go unprosecuted?
My comment is in no way a chicken and egg rational. I'm saying that unless you have video of the incident it's very hard for law enforcement to investigate even if they wanted to. It's like if someone keyed your car. You can go ahead and hire a private investigator to try to track down the perpetrator, but what are they going to use as a clue?

One mans definition of corruption is another mans definition of connections lol.

So when Tesla had a spoiler and badge install event, a dragnet could have nailed hundreds of cars for no front license plate or window tint at zero effort. The cars come to them.

Thankfully the nearest doughnut shop was 7 miles away and it would have been too much effort to deploy the task force.

I prefer to call it circumventing frivolous and idiotic laws. :)

BTW, tint is not the problem. Not being able to see in the car by LEO if a vehicle is pulled over is the problem ergo, the ticket should be for failing to roll down the tinted windows when approached by a LEO.

These types of laws are what happens when people who can't do, enter politics and make our laws. But it keeps them employed and off the streets... :) But I digress.....

I don't think any states can protect from 'smash & grabs'
butt they can sure dissuade by prosecuting them...

Too much common sense. Will be sending someone to deport you from California.

If that is the case, what would a video do to change the behavior? Will sentry mode contain the vehicle lock status as a video overlay to help prosecutors? Will Sentry mode only function if the car is locked? Lots of questions!

Any kind of images or videos will only increase the danger to those doing smash and grabs. Maybe someone will recognize them. Maybe a smash and grabber has a warrant out for higher crimes.

There are better responses than prison. Vandalism a problem in Singapore much?

how many broken windows in your home or garage
are you willing to tolerate?

Broken window in my home/garage and you on the wrong side of that window means you just broke your last window ever.

These types of laws are what happens when people who can't do, enter politics and make our laws. But it keeps them employed and off the streets... :) But I digress.....

Those who can't do, teach.
Those who can't earn, steal.
Those without purpose, invent one.
Those who can't defend, justify.

Real world is depressing.

Will sentry mode really help smash n grab in California? I am under the impression that due to it being a misdemeanor (unless you can PROVE that the car was locked- and a smashed window isn't considered proof), it's not worth pursuing by police or district attorney. Here's the stats:

It's not really about prosecution... but more about inconveniencing the perpetrator. If it is a common known fact that breaking a Tesla window will sound the alarm and trigger the camera system, they will be less likely to do it. They don't want to draw too much attention in the area when there are 20 other cars they could hit.