Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix your door that won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very timely... I have that exact issue right now. Fortunately I bought the Extended Warranty literally two days before it happened, so I should be covered. This makes 3 door handles now. Anyone have a guess how much a new handle would cost if we had to pay for it out of pocket?

I paid $895.74 parts and labor for a replacement last year out of warranty (door handle assembly was $734).
Problem identified was "LF door handle would not present due to a faulty pin switch assembly" (was not presenting) .

My right rear was replaced under warranty.

Now my left rear has failed (won't present with audible motor sound noted that stops after few seconds). I had the presence of mind to keep the old left front assembly so maybe I'll see if I can get it working before I attempt the teardown of the broken left rear. Are the handles interchangeable from front to back or left to right? I would like to possibly fix the spare I have and swap it in to minimize downtime troubleshooting the broken one if possible. If not possible, I could use the old one for parts (motor unit, stripped gears etc). Mine are the original style generation 1 with no "play" when the handle is pulled. The two that have been replaced have the newer design with some play.

• Helpful
Reactions: rpc364 and bareyb
IMG_8794.JPG
Ranger met me at a supercharger stop at the beginning of a big trip this morning. His plan was to replace the unit and charge a $200 deductible even though I’m out of warranty. The wrong handle got sent along so he rebuilt mine by replacing the broken paddle gear and the sensors which were showing signs of cracking. This was goodwilled again. Happy cAmper!

Can you look at the invoice and see if the part number for the paddle gear is listed? I believe this is what I will need to fix mine and would like to order in advance. I took a look at the old one I paid $895.74 to have replaced and found the obviously broken paddle gear. The wires to the micro switches all look to be fine. I'm disappointed that Tesla chose to replace the entire unit on my dime rather than offer to repair at a much lower cost. They called the failure a "faulty pin switch assembly" which doesn't sound accurate either. I understand the general trend in cars is to just replace the whole module rather than take the time to troubleshoot and repair when possible. I also think the Tesla service centers tend to default to this route since they do so many warranty repairs (doesn't cost the customer extra so just replace with the newer module).

Last edited:
Reactions: rpc364
I just got a reply from Tesla EU service that paddle gear part is 0 stock and nothing on the way = not possible to purchase.
I know some guys managed to buy them in US for $3 a pop.
Part no. 1042845-00-A

I have a friend that will CNC me a couple to have a spares.

I just got a reply from Tesla EU service that paddle gear part is 0 stock and nothing on the way = not possible to purchase.
I know some guys managed to buy them in US for $3 a pop.
Part no. 1042845-00-A

I have a friend that will CNC me a couple to have a spares.

Thanks, I see a discussion of them on this thread
Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

Someone from Croatia selling a higher quality version for 70 euros a pop plus shipping and Tesla possibly selling them for $3 at one time but now not at all. I really hate to resort to a class action lawsuit for bad design which causes / guarantees a failure mode as comanchepilot suggests upthread but shelling out $895 every year or so for a completely new handle is not good.

Did this fix last week. The videos are helpful, writings in this thread even better. Ended up buying the part from Tesla, they charged me $41. We'll see how the wires hold up with my routing.

Next time somebody does this who has maybe done it before, we could use a little better video on the removal of the handles from the door. I had to remove the moldings and it was still a very tight fit. When putting it back in, left it unplugged until it was mounted to prevent any misfires with the handle coming out inside the door.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread!!

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
"more pressure then worked" is a classic internal wire break symptom, flexing a little harder until the metal wires in the insulation finally ... just ... .touch... enough... to CONTACT!

BUT OTHER THINGS can cause this too. You bring up a good topic of SOMETHING ELSE...
Let's talk about that, if not a broken wire, what else could it be?

Correct positioning and mounting of the switch in the handle is vital for getting enough plunger pressure to actually throw the switch when pressed enough.

A switch with too big a gap between plunger and striking surface, or plunger that doesn't make good contact with the strike (thing that's supposed to be pushing it..) could exhibit same effect as an intermittent or broken wire!

When having "no pull" issue, go in and have a look to see first that the switches are
  • not wobbly / loose on their mount
  • when put through their motions (handle tug) making good contact with their strike, be quiet and listen for a click
  • not broken: check one switch with a leaf spring still has its spring attached (not fallen off) and it's not skewed or jammed
At least one of the switches has its plunger hit by an adjustable-height strike pad... you can "screw adjust" the pad to pick the point where the plunger closes contacts in the switch. IF the pad is "too low" no contact will be made... and that would appear like a broken wire.

When servicing handles I instinctively do all of the above when visually inspecting them... and forgot to mention all this here for those who don't have the same instincts.

Finally, micro switches themselves can go soft or get dirty inside and stop working... even if they make a clicking sound when plunging it. Use VOM meter and measure good contact is being made on the Normally Open pair of contacts when plunger is pushed. With the switches unplugged from their harness (disconnected from the controller) test for near-zero ohms on the N.O. contacts when switch is plunged.

Usually the dead give-away that it's a broken wire problem is that you'll see the wire dangling, or a semi-firm tug on the wire pulls it right off the switch... (was broken inside the insulation). So this is the obvious case, and you must deal with that first anyway.

If there is no dangling wire... pull out the VOM and test for electrical continuity of the N.O. contacts when closed, and check all the physical alignment issues mentioned above.

Then when reassembling everything, check alignment by putting the assembly through its motions in your hands ... watch for plungers being struck and listen for clicks... before sticking the assy back in the car.

ScottM - Last year I had one of my handles replaced by a ranger (under warranty) for this issue and all of my other doors have been fine. Recently, however, I was in the Tesla gallery store and I noticed that the door handles on that new car seemed to "trigger" the door pop more effortlessly than the handles on my 5 year old car. It isn't the pull 500 times and the door finally opens scenario, but more of a difference where, on the new car, I seemed to barely have to move the handle and the door gave a I nice pop and opened whereas on my car, I find the door doesn't pop until I am at full travel pull on the handle and thus I "feel" like I am "pulling" the door more.

Anyway, per what you have written above it sounds like the switches may be slightly loose or perhaps the arm is missing, has too shallow a bend or that stop you mentioned needs to be raised. Does that all sound correct? Is the stop you mentioned the silver flat surface "screw" visible around 6:56 in your video (with its own small torx bit)?

Beyond all that, why are there two micro switches? It seems both would have to be triggered to open the door so if there is a stop on only one side, does that buy anything to adjust it?

I sort of doubt Tesla will send a Ranger out to address this, but I'm more than willing to try to adjust this to get that more effortless pop I experienced on the new car (note: all this assumes Tesla hasn't changed something else).

Thanks - great write-up!

Yes, youve identified the right thing that is the stop that could be raised or lowered by screw adjustment.

I think there are 2 switches so that one confirms the motor has pushed out the handle and the other confirms you are pulling on the handle.

If software is well written it could detect operational faults and interesting situations using both switch values... such as motor over extending the handle, or false pulls when the handle wasn't mechanically extened but rather, pulled out by manual means like someone prying the handle out with a credit card... and stuff

You'd only adjust the stop screw if a door was automatically popping opening itself as the handle presents (the screw needs to "tightened" to create more air gap between it and the switch), or if tugging on the handle didn't open the door because of the switch failing to close contacts (you would "loosen" the screw - backing it out - to make less air gap between it and the switch).

Note that too much air gap gives the same symptom as a broken wire on that switch. Door won't open when pulled.

Last edited:
Thanks, I see a discussion of them on this thread
Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

Someone from Croatia selling a higher quality version for 70 euros a pop plus shipping and Tesla possibly selling them for $3 at one time but now not at all. I really hate to resort to a class action lawsuit for bad design which causes / guarantees a failure mode as comanchepilot suggests upthread but shelling out $895 every year or so for a completely new handle is not good.

My stainless steel version ist available for
65€ per parts.
Two or more for 60€ per parts.
16€ shipping to USA.
Regards
Chris

Hopefully this DYI is helpful when the rear door handle will not present. It is very common for the white wire on the microswitch to break.

My question is the tape you use to apply the cables onto the door handle. If it gets hot, would that tape start to come off? Could you just solder the cable on with glue? And if it "were" to break again, could you just peel off that soldered glue with your nail?

Does anyone know if it's possible to request Tesla to open all your door handles and solder it the way the video has it at 5:02?

Cause if so, I wonder if it's possible to do it during a SC visit or to request this before purchasing a vehicle from Tesla.

Though I've been told the newer models, 2017 and up don't have this door handle issue. Is this true?