Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire - how does Tesla Roadside Assistance deal with it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I am currently have a tire leak, a mile before I got to my work parking lot it's throwing me a message "low tire pressure - check for flat tire". And I can hear the peak from the left back tire... But I made it to work so I will probably deal with it in a few hours.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but how does Tesla Roadside Assistance deal with this? Would there be additional charges for doing this? Thanks all.

They can swap the tire with a loaner. After that you can deal with the flat yourself our let them take your tire to a Tesla service center to patch or replace. I took the service center option so I’m not sure how they handle returning the loaner if you do the fix at another tire shop.

• Informative
Reactions: superblast
OW2I2kI.jpg

We had this look for the weekend, then Monday the service centre quoted and sold/fitted the replacement and we got our wheel back. In our area they only keep a 19" as a loaner since it's universal across S/X/3 they told me.

It all went pretty smoothly.

Hey all,

I am currently have a tire leak, a mile before I got to my work parking lot it's throwing me a message "low tire pressure - check for flat tire". And I can hear the peak from the left back tire... But I made it to work so I will probably deal with it in a few hours.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but how does Tesla Roadside Assistance deal with this? Would there be additional charges for doing this? Thanks all.

There is no charge for tesla roadside assistance if you re under warranty... they will send a driver with (hopefully) a spare wheel like @strykeroz mentioned (more red paint on the ones I have had to get than he had on his). If none of the drivers they contract with have a spare wheel they would tow you to a service center. I havent had to do that yet because they have spare wheels (19s as mentioned).

You can take your flat with you, or they can take it with them. you sign a document stating you will deal with the spare wheel within (I think) 3 days?). If you have room in the trunk, better to take your wheel with you, so you can get it fixed wherever you want to if thats something you are into.

In my case, each time it included rim damage, so I went to tesla service center, and they sold me rim / tire and put it on, then took their spare back.

Right now, This situation is something I want to avoid the most. I'm thinking of just buying another Tesla Rim/Tire that i've seen on like offer up and keep it as a spare. Get the little Jack adapter and change the tire myself. There is no way in hell, that i would ever want to call for a flat for them to not have a wheel and be towed somewhere. Let lone if i'm on a long drive where typically there wouldn't be a station anywhere. Seems like a smarter safer bet to do. I've seen people sell them for about $200.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mrbrock
OW2I2kI.jpg

We had this look for the weekend, then Monday the service centre quoted and sold/fitted the replacement and we got our wheel back. In our area they only keep a 19" as a loaner since it's universal across S/X/3 they told me.

It all went pretty smoothly.
Another case of the SC not knowing what they are talking about. The S/X have a different bolt pattern from the 3. They are not interchangeable.

I feel like an 18 and 19 on the same axle would just be a really really bad idea... even at low speed...
Tesla sent to me, in writing when I asked, that it was fine. I know it doesnt sound right, which is why I asked for them to send it to me in writing, because I got the same "our engineers have determined that 19s are fine for all our model 3s".

Note, I have 20s, but same deal right? 20s and 19s on the same axle.

Right now, This situation is something I want to avoid the most. I'm thinking of just buying another Tesla Rim/Tire that i've seen on like offer up and keep it as a spare. Get the little Jack adapter and change the tire myself. There is no way in hell, that i would ever want to call for a flat for them to not have a wheel and be towed somewhere. Let lone if i'm on a long drive where typically there wouldn't be a station anywhere. Seems like a smarter safer bet to do. I've seen people sell them for about $200.
I carry a can of tyre moose, the jack adapters, 12V air pump and tyre repair kit, have still to get around to sorting out a small jack. That all fits nicely below the floor in the rear along with other emergency gear, first aid kit, and charge cables without impacting the boot.

In contrast I'd not think a full sized spare a very compact/light alternative but I'd be keen to see what you come up with, and how you find it travels.

Reactions: X-pilot
Tesla sent to me, in writing when I asked, that it was fine. I know it doesnt sound right, which is why I asked for them to send it to me in writing, because I got the same "our engineers have determined that 19s are fine for all our model 3s".

Note, I have 20s, but same deal right? 20s and 19s on the same axle.
For the M3, all three stock wheel/tire combos are the same diameter! They vary the amount of sidewall to account for the difference in wheel diameter. It is true, tho, that no X or S wheel will bolt up to a 3.

I don't often bring back old posts, but I just got my SECOND flat tire today, almost 2 months since I posted this. Talk about year 2020 luck.

This time, I was going back home and had a warning for extreme low tire pressure on the interstate, since the tire pressure was losing rapidly, I had no choice but to pull over to the nearest shoulder.

Tesla Roadside Assistance offered me a loaner wheel this time around, but I didn't have the option to also keep my original wheel and placed to the service center, since the rep said people often forget to return their loaners. I am not sure if this was true, but it was at night and I was rather a bit desperate, I went with what works at the moment.

The guy that placed my loaners said it's not repairable, since the damage is over an inch side, probably got pierced by some sort of metal sheet or blade. How much am I looking at for replacing 18" OEM MXM4s? $300?

Interesting, I thought they painted the loaner wheels a garish color to embarrass the borrower to return them quickly. As for price, dunno, but with mounting and balancing, probably just under $300.