Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fobo Tire Pressure monitor for smart phones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had no problems during the month or so I've had the Fobo sensors on my P85 with 19s set at 45psi cold. Might be a good question to raise with Fobo for a definitive answer.

BTW, I can now confirm, after several hours of testing, that there have been no instances of bluetooth skipping/stuttering using my iPhone 6 with IOS 8.3 & Tesla firmware 6.2 (2.4.153). Problem does seem fulling resolved.

Any issues with using in hard core winter?

Fobo now offers high-pressure monitors - "Fobo-Plus" - if you want them. I have standard Fobos - I hit the high pressure alarm on one long trip that started in cold temps and got pretty hot...but other than that i've been using them for months with no false alarms. When I got the "over 50" alarm, I just let a little out of the tires and all was fine from then on - they were over-inflated for the warm place anyway.

And I put a set on my wife's car - the app can check multiple cars - so it automatically checks hers also whenever I pull into the garage next to her car. Nice feature...

I put Wheel Bands on my wheels to protect the rims...and on a dark, rainy night I hit a curb pretty hard, it mangled a small part of the Wheel Band (easily replaced) and scratched the fobo monitor, but didn't hurt it. So maybe all you need is a little more clearance, and protecting the rims isn't a bad idea either - if you are worried about the Fobo, you ought to think of the rims too..

I put Wheel Bands on my wheels to protect the rims...and on a dark, rainy night I hit a curb pretty hard, it mangled a small part of the Wheel Band (easily replaced) and scratched the fobo monitor, but didn't hurt it. So maybe all you need is a little more clearance, and protecting the rims isn't a bad idea either - if you are worried about the Fobo, you ought to think of the rims too..

19" wheels, which haven't been a problem in 40+K miles, but it appears that the Fobo sticks out a bit past the wheel. Also I'm not a fan of putting things between the tire and the rim flange.

Another note for Fobo buyers worried about their valve stems:
they offer a "T-valve" which both protects the Fobo monitor by putting it off at a right angle, and provides a second straight valve for adjusting pressure without removing the fobo monitor. This does require tire shop install to replace standard valve with this one. I don't know how it might interface with TPMS - you would have to ask them. They pass these through from another vendor, $58 non-discountable for a set.
FOBO Tire - FOBO, scroll to bottom.

I just found out probably why Tesla doesn't provide pressure display from the TPMS (this is FOBO's comment, and the reason why they believe that there will always be a need for their product)-
Most in-tire sensors work on 433mhz, with high power consumption, and you need to replace them once the batteries are flat, and it's a costly affair.
To give readings mean owners expect to see and judge accuracy, time between readings, etc. Also battery life will be compromised with readings as users expect quick update as well.

I just found out probably why Tesla doesn't provide pressure display from the TPMS (this is FOBO's comment, and the reason why they believe that there will always be a need for their product)-
Most in-tire sensors work on 433mhz, with high power consumption, and you need to replace them once the batteries are flat, and it's a costly affair.
To give readings mean owners expect to see and judge accuracy, time between readings, etc. Also battery life will be compromised with readings as users expect quick update as well.
The TPMS sensors that Tesla uses are already there, so there is no reason to not provide a TPMS display. The TPMS receiver does not take any power from the sensors. The sensors are always transmitting. A better good product for Fobo to come up with is a 433/415Mhz receiver for the Tesla sensors that then broadcasts the pressure information via bluetooth to their existing app. This way no dongles need to be screwed onto the valve stems.

I would, however, encourage anyone who does not have the Fobo Tire sensors to buy some. I have the original and now the Fobo Tire Plus sensors. I don't have to go around checking my tire pressure before any long trip. I just bring up the Fobo app on my phone.

By the way, I just checked out Salutica, the company that makes fobo....for some reason, I had expected a little startup kind of place - but these guys are a really sophisticated, large, design and manufacturing company, who also makes lots of stuff that Sony, Canon, etc. sell under their brands! Check them out at Salutica Allied Solutions - One Stop Solution Manufacturing Partner. It gives me more confidence that the fobo tire monitors are well designed and manufactured, not just a clever idea.

This from fobo:
"I saw a comment from eventhusaist regarding the EULA. He misunderstood, just confirmed with our lawyers that the hardware is not included in the licensing. I read thru the terms again, and in the midst of legal jargons, it's quite clear that the licensing only applies to the software and appware. "

Beep each time I get in the car?

Apologies if this was discussed upthread, but I'm getting a beep every time I get in my car. I assume this is the control unit beeping to let me know it synced via BT with the app. Is that what it is and is there any way to silence it? Seems like it will get very tiresome...

-- David