Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ugh. Season 1. Oh, the pain! Make it stop! :)

Back on topic, in order from most fogging to least fogging:

(Most fogging)
1. Recirculate with A/C compressor off.
2. Outside air with A/C compressor off.
3. Recirculate with A/C compressor on.
4. Outside air with A/C compressor on.
(Least fogging)

If your windows are fogging up, check that A/C is on, even if you're heating. If that still doesn't work, make sure recirculate isn't on.

The headlights are just fubared. They should never fog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally did a testdrive here in Oslo today. Temp was -7C and i noticed halfway that the rear window fogged up completely and then followed by the front window. It went away within seconds by using the defroster, but I have to admit i find it strange that it happened at all. Did not notice if the AC was on since I was so focused on enjoying the way to short ride..

As a comparison I drove to the tesla store and back in my 2012 VW Tiguan and had no fogging whatsoever in the exact same conditions.

Ugh. Season 1. Oh, the pain! Make it stop! :)

Back on topic, in order from most fogging to least fogging:

(Most fogging)
1. Recirculate with A/C compressor off.
2. Outside air with A/C compressor off.
3. Recirculate with A/C compressor on.
4. Outside air with A/C compressor on.
(Least fogging)

If your windows are fogging up, check that A/C is on, even if you're heating. If that still doesn't work, make sure recirculate isn't on.

The headlights are just fubared. They should never fog.

1 and 2
or
3 and 4
could be swapped if it is raining, or otherwise very humid outside. My GTI seems to suck in water/humidity when it is raining.

frunk cargo net is standard for sigs, optional for GP's.

Really? I've seen no listing for that as an option or its price.

The last car I bought (a hatchback) showed a cargo area carpeted mat as "standard equipment" in the brochure, but my car was delivered without one. I argued with the dealer for quite a bit and was told that the brochure was "out of date" and that the mat was now an extra-cost option. Never did get the mat. I guess changes like this are kind of "the norm".

My Volt seems to fog up easier than other cars as well. The defroster works well, but uses a lot of energy.

Cracking the windows 1/2" helps.

When not running the defrost or A/C, directing air flow to your feet, instead of the windshield, when turning the car on will keep humid air from the ducts from hitting the cold windshield.

GSP

This was my headlight last night...

4a5u2upy.jpg

I have a trick to deal with fogging: I put a couple of 500 g bags of silica gel desiccant in both my cars. It doesn't completely remove fogging, but it helps prevent ice on the inside of the windows, and it also absorbs some of the moisture from the floor etc. They absorb a couple of hundred grams of water each before they have to be regenerated.

The downside is that I have to remember to bake the bags in a microwave oven every week or so. I still find that to be less of a hassle than wiping moisture off the windows or scraping away the ice. Might be worth a try.

The downside is that I have to remember to bake the bags in a microwave oven every week or so. I still find that to be less of a hassle than wiping moisture off the windows or scraping away the ice. Might be worth a try.

It's still very beneficial to wipe off the layer of "gunk" that accumulates on the inside surface of the windows as all the new materials in the car give off their manufacturing gases. You'll find it fogs up far less often when you do this.

I use the well in the rear for that. Closing the frunk is a pain :p
Especially with a beer in your hand :cool:
I put my cover in the rear well in a 'large' fashion last week and haven't dealt with it yet. Maybe I'll wash my car and put it on it again.

Fogging - my headlamps had a tiny fog in them after they had been on for a while then parked for a while
interior windows are difficult. I put rain-x anti fog on the inside and I can see where I missed it. Seems to work ok. At least it is a little better