Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you are saying the AWD at 350kW has about the same power as a Performance at 358kW? How is that possible and what is your source?
The document, filled by Tesla, needed for the registration of the car. But, normally this field just displays the maximum actual power not something hypothetical...

DSC09528.jpg

This recent Tesla.com forum thread might be interesting for some...

Tesla Now Sells an AWD Model with P Unlocked! | Tesla

Hate to say it but that forum and thread is a trainwreck. The thread title is totally mis-leading because the poster is making assumptions based on a lack of information and the rest of the posters are following it up with die hard opinions based on just bits and pieces of information each has heard as well. As most people here know by now - nobody has yet to get a LR AWD vin converted to P- and keep the same vin. They are two different models as far as how they are actually selling them. If people have made last minute changes, it's before they have a vin and they find an inventory car with a P- vin that matches their order and "converts" it. Or they get a different vin that matches P-.

Yes. The registration in (some of) Europe lists the max possible power and it’s the same as the Performance. So upgrading it won’t be an issue (in regards to registration, insurance and so on). :)

The document, filled by Tesla, needed for the registration of the car. But, normally this field just displays the maximum actual power not something hypothetical...

View attachment 438455

If accurate, this would theoretically mean the 990 motors have the same kW output potential as the 980s…

How about the OP here tweets at Elon (with survey) and we coordinate a "like" response to that tweet to boost the visibility? can't hurt.

Good idea. Question: How do the signed petitions get to Tesla?

I have tweeted at Elon multiple times referencing the number of people who have signed. It will take a concerted Twitter effort / Tweet storm type of thing to have a shot at getting any attention. That said, I am not sure what it will do. I would guess Elon's clearly aware of the demand for this.

Hate to say it but that forum and thread is a trainwreck. The thread title is totally mis-leading because the poster is making assumptions based on a lack of information and the rest of the posters are following it up with die hard opinions based on just bits and pieces of information each has heard as well. As most people here know by now - nobody has yet to get a LR AWD vin converted to P- and keep the same vin. They are two different models as far as how they are actually selling them. If people have made last minute changes, it's before they have a vin and they find an inventory car with a P- vin that matches their order and "converts" it. Or they get a different vin that matches P-.

Agree 100% on that thread. I want the 4 minutes of my life back I spent scrolling through all that garbage.

On the VINs I do not believe this is correct. When I added my AWD to my insurance policy, I put in my VIN and had to select either AWD or Performance from a dropdown. This would suggest there is not a unique P VIN.

As I said, "...thread might be interesting for some..." I rarely go to that forum for similar reasons - train wreck. Some might find that thread "humorous"... :)

As I said, "...thread might be interesting for some..." I rarely go to that forum for similar reasons - train wreck. Some might find that thread "humorous"... :)

It seems that individual wanted AWD, but end up with Performance AWD with 18 inch wheels which we seen here can be had under $50k When available. We might not see this for a while because Tesla has not started to sell in all markets yet, they might mess up sales if they offer (if possible) upgrading AWD to PAWD. Maybe only if they offer Ludicrous speed on performance to drop it to high 2 second 0-60, we might get upgrade to drop our 0-60 from low 4 to mid 3.

Back in the delivery crush of Fall 2018, when Tesla was scrambling to get the right configurations to the right place, I recall one or two examples where someone who purchased a P3D- found a crumpled up Monroney sticker or some such similar evidence showing that the car had been a LR AWD but was converted to a P3D- without changing the VIN number. Of course, maybe it was just a printing error rather than a car conversion. But I think Tesla has done this on occasion with a few keystrokes and a software push. I think those were one off decisions they made while doing anything and everything possible to have a profitable Q3 2018. I would not be surprised if there were examples of them changing a P3D- to a LR AWD if that was what was on hand versus what was needed to fulfill an order in a particular location during a crunch period. Come to think of it, haven't there been examples where someone buys a LR AWD and upon delivery it has P software enabled, only to be removed via software update a week later?

I am truly happy for people able to get a P3D- now for such a great price. I really wish I had not purchased my LR AWD last fall though. That is not to say I think Tesla owes me anything (though I wish they'd offer a P software upgrade for purchase). It's just so much better of a deal now. I wanted a P. But when I ordered, all that was offered was P3D+ for I think $10-12k more than a LR AWD. That was too much of a jump for me. But if I had been given the option of a P3D- for a couple grand more than a LR AWD it would have been a no brainer. Oh well, at least I got silver metallic, which isn't available anymore. Cheers all.

Last edited:
Back in the delivery crush of Fall 2018, when Tesla was scrambling to get the right configurations to the right place, I recall one or two examples where someone who purchased a P3D- found a crumpled up Monroney sticker or some such similar evidence showing that the car had been a LR AWD but was converted to a P3D- without changing the VIN number. Of course, maybe it was just a printing error rather than a car conversion. But I think Tesla has done this on occasion with a few keystrokes and a software push. I think those were one off decisions they made while doing anything and everything possible to have a profitable Q3 2018. I would not be surprised if there were examples of them changing a P3D- to a LR AWD if that was what was on hand versus what was needed to fulfill an order in a particular location during a crunch period.

I am truly happy for people able to get a P3D- now for such a great price. I really wish I had not purchased by LR AWD last fall though. That is not to say I think Tesla owes me anything (though I wish they'd offer a P software upgrade for purchase). It's just so much better of a deal now. I wanted a P. But when I ordered, all that was offered was P3D+ for I think $10-12k more than a LR AWD. That was too much of a jump for me. But if I had been given the option of a P3D- for a couple grand more than a LR AWD it would have been a no brainer. Oh well, at least I got silver metallic, which isn't available anymore. Cheers all.

Same. :)

I am truly happy for people able to get a P3D- now for such a great price. I really wish I had not purchased my LR AWD last fall though. That is not to say I think Tesla owes me anything (though I wish they'd offer a P software upgrade for purchase). It's just so much better of a deal now. I wanted a P. But when I ordered, all that was offered was P3D+ for I think $10-12k more than a LR AWD. That was too much of a jump for me. But if I had been given the option of a P3D- for a couple grand more than a LR AWD it would have been a no brainer. Oh well, at least I got silver metallic, which isn't available anymore. Cheers all.

When I ordered last June for a September delivery, it was $16K ($11K for the P3D- and another $5K for the +)!

As most people here know by now - nobody has yet to get a LR AWD vin converted to P- and keep the same vin.

I'm pretty sure you cannot tell from the VIN if it's an AWD or Performance.
And I have already posted that we had a confirmed LR AWD that got a 20% performance software update after delivery a few months back (which is pretty close to Performance).

If accurate, this would theoretically mean the 990 motors have the same kW output potential as the 980s…

I should be accurate. My offical papers are almost identical (just in a different language). It lists my 990-00-F AWD as having a maximum power of 340KW (455HP).
I have looked up around 10 Performance models and 10 LR AWD just to check their offical Danish vehicle registration papers. Performance models are registered at 360KW (482HP) and AWD's all at 340KW (455HP). I was unable to find examples of LR RWD.

So there is a difference between max power in the registrations for AWD and P, but not much. And the 340KW is very close to 20% more than standard AWD, so maybe there is a 20% performance increase around the corner for AWD's? :)

I'm pretty sure you cannot tell from the VIN if it's an AWD or Performance.
And I have already posted that we had a confirmed LR AWD that got a 20% performance software update after delivery a few months back (which is pretty close to Performance).

I would think Tesla track's inventory by VIN. I'm not sure why they wouldn't use this system to track cars but also I don't work for Tesla so I can't say for sure this isn't the most efficient way. If someone knows how they actually track them I'd love to hear it. That isn't to say that they couldn't somehow modify a VINs spec it in their system either, but I'd imagine that would take a special approval to allow doing so and again this goes back to the over-arching debate of if that's even allowable for all LR AWD's due to debated motor differences / part numbers.

I'm not sure what this LR AWD that got P software performance update means as I haven't heard of it but seems like some fluke. Were there time slips of the supposed performance they gained? Mistakes happen and would be the exception to the rule as far as their processes go so I can't say I'd be too surprised if it did but that's just one correlation that doesn't prove anything.

There have been multiple reports here earlier this year those that paid for performance and when they got their car it was regular AWD. Service center flashed it and upgraded to performance. But in that case those were likely already hardware ready but had wrong settings.

As far as VIN, likely it’s just a flip in their database from AWD to Peefomance. Should not be hard from IT side, but the rest...

I would think Tesla track's inventory by VIN

Sure, internally they probably do, but by looking at the VIN you would not be able to tell if it's a P or AWD without access to Tesla's own records.

I'm not sure what this LR AWD that got P software performance update means as I haven't heard of it but seems like some fluke.

The one I'm talking about is an 980-AWD getting a 20% performance increase update over the air (not the same as "Performance" software, but close). It was one of the early deliveries in Europe (february/march 2019). Tesla delivered an AWD instead of a Performance by mistake and "compensated" by issuing a software update to the car with a 20% performance boost. When the owner installed it he got an "update" warning: "20% performance increase, driver caution needed". He is however now having issues updating to the latest software as he is getting a "Incompatible drive unit"-error when updating to 2019.28.x.
The car does not show in the menus as a "Performance", but is measured faster than a normal AWD.

Just posted this as an update to the petition and posting here as well:

Hi all,

I was in the service center this morning for a rattle and ended up taking a test drive with a technician who has been with Tesla for 5 years. Of course I asked him about upgrading AWD to P software and told him about this petition with 1,500 supporters.

He suggested I submit a feature request to Tesla support and indicated that if enough people request things then he's seen them be implemented.

Well a few minutes later, he shows up again to tell me he looked through the database of these support tickets and couldn't find a single request for this upgrade.

So let's change that at scale…

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Go to Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support
  2. Choose 'Car Features / Charging' from the drop-down
  3. Paste in this request: "Hello, I am a Model 3 AWD owner and would like a paid upgrade to Performance software for my car. Now that it's possible in the US to purchase a Performance Model 3 without the Performance Upgrade Package, please make a paid upgrade available to all AWD owners. Over 1,500 of us are ready and willing to pay to upgrade. Thank you. Sign the Petition"
  4. Click 'Done'
  5. Click 'Yes' when asked if you still need more help
  6. Enter your name and email address
  7. Click 'Email Us'
Thanks, all!

Last edited:
Just posted this as an updated to the petition and posting here as well:

Hi all,

I was in the service center this morning for a rattle and ended up taking a test drive with a technician who has been with Tesla for 5 years. Of course I asked him about upgrading AWD to P software and told him about this petition with 1,500 supporters.

He suggested I submit a feature request to Tesla support and indicated that if enough people request things then he's seen them be implemented.

Well a few minutes later, he shows up again to tell me he looked through the database of these support tickets and couldn't find a single request for this upgrade.

So let's change that at scale…

I did submit a service request a few weeks a while back. I was told by service tech that tesla did not currently offer this service. It sounded like he thought he could do it if company policy permitted him to.

I guess service requests don't count as support tickets? In any case, I just submitted language you suggested on the support website.

Fingers crossed that it has an impact.

Last edited: