Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely. I know a few people who made similar choices. But to be clear, I’m talking about the majority - they will always go with the cheaper option.

Just like the majority of people did not buy a Performance Model 3. I bet you the majority would prefer it. Yes, there are those out there that specifically do not want the 3P. The majority definitely do. But money is always going to be the determining factor for most.

The only problem with your logic is that there are many who bought a Performance with the 20 inch wheels ( or a non-Performance Model 3 with 19 inch Sport wheels) and have purchased 18 inch wheels after the fact.

Everything is the same. There is a parameter somewhere that says P or not and the UI adapts.

It’s in the bios like a PC. It’s either On or Off and the config file can be sent to the car via OTA.

I think it has settings like:

AP = 0
EAP = 1
FSD = 0
Supercharger (Free) = 1
Performance = 0

1 = yes
0 = no

There’s probably more settings like max battery so they can make a SR+ to SR. All of these are outside of firmware. It’s in the root.

It’s in the bios like a PC. It’s either On or Off and the config file can be sent to the car via OTA.

I think it has settings like:

AP = 0
EAP = 1
FSD = 0
Supercharger (Free) = 1
Performance = 0

1 = yes
0 = no

There’s probably more settings like max battery so they can make a SR+ to SR. All of these are outside of firmware. It’s in the root.

This is where @AlanSubie4Life chimes in and shares the difference in the model number of the rear motors between the LR AWD and P3D- variants.

"But there's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza..."

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This is where @AlanSubie4Life chimes in and shares the difference in the model number of the rear motors between the LR AWD and P3D- variants.

Up till a couple months ago there's no such difference, every model 3 ever made through end of 2018 got the same rear 980 DU, regardless of configuration of the vehicle.

In the last few months in the US (and apparently since roughly January in europe) AWD non-Ps have instead gotten a different DU with the -990 part number.

Nobody (yet) appears to know what the actual difference is though.

Up till a couple months ago there's no such difference, every model 3 ever made through end of 2018 got the same rear 980 DU, regardless of configuration of the vehicle.

In the last few months in the US (and apparently since roughly January in europe) AWD non-Ps have instead gotten a different DU with the -990 part number.

Yup.

"....so fix it dear Liza, dear Liza...."

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Exactly.

My April 2019 build, LR AWD has the newer -990 motor. I'm going to assume the key difference is that the lubricant is made with unicorn tears.

That's as accurate an answer as anything else speculated here.

Many ASSumptions have been made, but correlation != causation.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson

My experience was from October 2018 so I think all rear motors were the same between AWD and AWD P.

May be different now, but I have personally seen 2 cars that was AWD without the red underline and no sports in the UI that now has Sports and red underline.

I called Tesla today asking about the P3D- I recently purchased, if it had been an AWD upgraded to a Performance model. His response was that the P3D- are AWDs that have undergone "performance tuning".

I didn't ask if that "tuning" involved more than flipping a bit or a software upgrade.

There are at least three different and conflicting versions from various Tesla sources about this subject.

1) Binning theory (cited earlier in this thread from a factory tour) - that only a subset of motors qualify for a Performance M3.
2) Accidental build theory (cited here and elsewhere, provided by many Tesla OAs) — that Tesla accidentally built a batch of these a couple of times. I don’t believe this, but it’s a convenient way of dodging why you can’t custom order a P3D-.
3) “There is no difference“ theory (provided by several DS’s when firmware was pushed to uncork performance on an otherwise LR AWD).

Then there is the broad consensus on TMC, which is some mix thereof— that there was no initial difference, but now there may be (since April 2019, when part numbers changed on the rear motors).

Each of these theories is problematic.

1) if Tesla is binning motors, they presumably started differentiating part numbers starting Q2 2019. But not before. Why the change?

2) if this is an accidental batch, why has it happened twice? Why is there more inventory on the US East Coast?

3) if there is no difference, why is there limited stock of P3D- cars?

• Informative
Reactions: Gouldness
They are indeed quandaries that nobody here actually knows the answer to. We can go down a rabbit hole of guessing all day long but since nobody has dissected the current motors or inverters of both cars and Tesla isn't saying anything, it's just assumptions on top of assumptions keeping this thread going.

1) Binning motors isn't necessarily the reason there are different motor part numbers now. Different part numbers could be for any number of reasons. Tesla hasn't publicized why they are different so anything otherwise is just conjecture.

2) The accidental batch happened twice? If you're referring to the original P3D-'s of last year, that was a completely different situation in which PUP was an optional upgrade option and was officially listed on the site as such. These latest one's were never listed on the site in an orderable format and could only be purchased off menu. The only hint given on the site was the 18" wheels stated you had to call to order, and then it was discovered it was a P3D- configuration.

3) We simply don't know why (*if* this is even actually the case). Stock of something has to do with sellable configurations that is irrespective of being no pertinent differences. It would seem to me if they're a limited stock that it was either an accident in production or it's some kind of pilot trial for demand of this configuration and that they may eventually open it up as an official configuration from the website at a later point in time or they may open up upgrades for AWD to P (or maybe something lesser). Several possibilities here.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
3) We simply don't know why (*if* this is even actually the case). Stock of something has to do with sellable configurations that is irrespective of being no pertinent differences. It would seem to me if they're a limited stock that it was either an accident in production or it's some kind of pilot trial for demand of this configuration and that they may eventually open it up as an official configuration from the website at a later point in time or they may open up upgrades for AWD to P (or maybe something lesser). Several possibilities here.

I'm voting on the premise that they are exactly the same simply with a software change. If you add up a couple thousand cars made this way times a few thousand extra dollars each. Tesla just banked millions of extra dollars for doing essentially nothing. Of course the question is; how many of these people would have bought a p3d+ if the p3d- wasn't an option.

I have personally seen 2 cars that was AWD without the red underline
Does the lack of a red underline mean that my M3P is not real. For that matter I do not even have a Dual Motor badge and Tesla never put it there in the first place. It's just a badge. Mistakes can easily happen for a variety of reasons. The reason Tesla gave me was that they were out of the badging but decided to ship the vehicle anyway. For my M3P there is a Due Bill on this matter and another for the Carbon Fiber Spoiler which they were out of as well. After living without these items for 11 months I have concluded I'll leave them off until some circumstance changes my mind but I know I'm still driving a M3P and that's what matters.

I'm voting on the premise that they are exactly the same simply with a software change. If you add up a couple thousand cars made this way times a few thousand extra dollars each. Tesla just banked millions of extra dollars for doing essentially nothing. Of course the question is; how many of these people would have bought a p3d+ if the p3d- wasn't an option.

I don't disagree. Why is there limited stock now?

In my case, the car was shipped from the east coast all the way BACK to CA (at Tesla's expense, BTW!) Why do that if there is no difference and a ton of LR AWD's sitting at the very same showroom where I took delivery? That just ate the $2k "extra dollars" I gladly gave Tesla for the Performance upgrade.

The whole thing defies logic.