Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For current owners, what's your thoughts on...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They already killed RWD S.

As to driving dynamics, I've only driven the RWD car, when I get my AWD in a couple of week I'll have a better impression of which one drives better from a cornering perspective. I certainly haven't seen any reviews of the AWD P in which the person lamented that the car is awesome but would be better if it dropped the front motor.

Yes, but unlike the 3, the dual motor S gets better range than the RWD S.

Yes, but unlike the 3, the dual motor S gets better range than the RWD S.

That's true.

Also true, like the S, the range of the 3 is probably going to go up over time as they introduced successively larger lighter batteries, make motors that are slightly higher in efficiency, etc.

I think you hit it on the head though, it's going to come down to demand. If they make a lot more $$ on the AWD and those are constrained by how many the factory can pump out, they have every reason to eliminate the RWD version from the lineup even if it costs them a few sales.

Reactions: TT97
I have thought about this. I'm in a Model S currently which isn't "camry common." Switching to a P3D-, which presumably the model 3 is on it's way to being commonplace everywhere in addition to CA.

I'm going to have my calipers painted red because it's something I've come to like for myself on my current car.

I'm also considering doing xpel stealth just to make it a little different, although that is bordering on too flashy for me.

Only in California does this happen. No, really.

Honestly I think base model 3 with zero options is going to be a very scarce Unicorn. Tesla will build a relatively small # of them to satisfy the very long term waiters who want the lowest price car possible, and then Tesla is going to kill it.

They also could potentially kill RWD cars completely in 1-2 years depending on demand.
Unless they are selling a model 1/2 whatever by that point I don't know why they would. The entire point of the 3 was initially to be a quality but affordable EV.

Unless they are selling a model 1/2 whatever by that point I don't know why they would. The entire point of the 3 was initially to be a quality but affordable EV.

Tesla has to make enough margin on the car that they are not selling it at a loss. Keep in mind that in addition to cost of manufacturing the car they also have to warranty it for multiple years, cost to them, fix any safety related recalls forever, cost to them, etc.

If a $35,000 car has a profit margin, before those long term expenses of $1,000 there's no way they are going to do it long term. If it's 20% profitable maybe they will.

The only people that would recognize the difference, or even care of the difference, are people that are well informed of Tesla.

The average joe doesn't know the difference between a 3 series and a 5 series, and there is a drastic price difference with those cars too.

Reactions: Nocturnal
That's funny, I will soon be taking delivery of my 3P (no+)... will not be tracking, don't want a spoiler, red calipers, or pothole magnets (er, low profile tire/wheel combo). If there's a "P" badge, then I will immediately remove it. I'm very happy to have a wolf in sheep's clothing. I don't need to impress anyone... but if I ever need to pass anybody....... ADIOS!!!

I mean, the "$35k version" won't include the $9k PUP option, since that's the base price. The OP said you wouldn't be able to distinguish between a loaded and $35k Model 3. The $35k Model 3 will NOT (per Tesla, which could change) have an all-glass roof.

9K option is not PUP it is long range battery.

LR = $9K and PUP = $5K of the $14,000 difference between a bare bones $35,000 SR and the current minimum $49,000 config LR.

I wish they had something similar to the M package for the P. I won't be putting on the badge, but some rocker panels and a front spoiler would match the performance. Even something like carbon fiber mirror covers. Aftermarket companies who get good products out will clean up in this market. The could have at least offered a different wheel, in space gray.

I doubt there will be many 35K SR cars made before they are cancelled. I do however think that there will be 35K + PUP cars available for a longer term. That is still 40K and at that price the M3 still won't be as common as you may be fearing.