Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For the unlucky ones with a fixed spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new here and waiting for my X90D midnight silver, 22" carbon, black leather 7 seat premium, auto-pilot, air suspension, dark ash wood in late June. I test drove XP90DL at Newport Beach, CA. The active spoiler was making crazy squeaking noises throughout the whole test drive as it adjusted to the speed. The co-pilot said he would call Tesla HQ to relay the concern about the active spoiler. I think getting the fixed spoiler will be a blessing in disguise for many. Knowing Tesla has to deal with small nagging issues with their cars, this will be one of those issues for some.

Reactions: goneskiian
I'm new here and waiting for my X90D midnight silver, 22" carbon, black leather 7 seat premium, auto-pilot, air suspension, dark ash wood in late June. I test drove XP90DL at Newport Beach, CA. The active spoiler was making crazy squeaking noises throughout the whole test drive as it adjusted to the speed. The co-pilot said he would call Tesla HQ to relay the concern about the active spoiler. I think getting the fixed spoiler will be a blessing in disguise for many. Knowing Tesla has to deal with small nagging issues with their cars, this will be one of those issues for some.

For anyone who hasn't seen the difference, here are some pics of a car with adaptive and fixed spoiler. Red= adaptive. Grey is fixed.

I was upset at first I didn't get the adaptive, but honestly, who cares. The adaptive has 2 advantages:

1: it closes when the car is off. Do you honestly care if it's up or down when you're NOT driving?

2: it adapts at highway speeds to supposedly increase range. Again, who cares? Car has plenty of range and I'd assume the extra weight of the mechanical parts of the adaptive spoiler offset the benefit. If you want 1.6% more range drive 1-2 mph slower. Lol.

The only possible thing I think id like about the adaptive spoiler is just turning it 100% off, but that would block your rear view.

Thanks for sharing these helpful comparison pics. Although I wished I would get an active one, too, your logic makes perfect sense.

I have a fixed spoiler. I think is great for the following reasons:
1. We all have a spoiler. For a lot of us who ordered early, we didn't think it came with one on 90D and 70D. So, it's great that we have it.
2. A lot of people say when you lock the car the active ones flats. So what! The car looks better with a spoiler. I loved it.
3. When you go high speed, active spoiler changes angle and it's more effenct. Yes, I get that. But with a 6000lbs SUV, how much of a different will it make? I don't think it is much.
4. Fixed = less parts to fix down the road.
5. I am very happy with my fixed or none active spoiler.

I have a fixed spoiler. I think is great for the following reasons:
1. We all have a spoiler. For a lot of us who ordered early, we didn't think it came with one on 90D and 70D. So, it's great that we have it.
2. A lot of people say when you lock the car the active ones flats. So what! The car looks better with a spoiler. I loved it.
3. When you go high speed, active spoiler changes angle and it's more effenct. Yes, I get that. But with a 6000lbs SUV, how much of a different will it make? I don't think it is much.
4. Fixed = less parts to fix down the road.
5. I am very happy with my fixed or none active spoiler.

Thanks for posting, makes me feel better about getting a fixed one

Reactions: chloedog
The only time you'll wish you had the active spoiler is the day you run out of juice 500 feet from a Supercharger.

"I could have used that extra range."

Says the guy that got the active spoiler :)

I would have been fine with a fixed spoiler, if I didn't have any build issues. I guess having an active spoiler is a gift for accepting a lower build quality???

Reactions: goneskiian
Says the guy that got the active spoiler :)
My point was really that my scenario isn't going to happen. So the active spoiler is most likely a wash.

The one thing I didn't mention was that there's an active spoiler setting where it extracts itself all the way over the windshield and shades the front seat occupants. Really cool feature. It's a great way to be shaded from the sun. Anyway, gimmick.

My point was really that my scenario isn't going to happen. So the active spoiler is most likely a wash.

The one thing I didn't mention was that there's an active spoiler setting where it extracts itself all the way over the windshield and shades the front seat occupants. Really cool feature. It's a great way to be shaded from the sun. Anyway, gimmick.

I am coming over to exchange spoilers...tomorrow morning yours will be fixed

Too late. Already been applied successfully by more progressive automakers.;)

36711dac9ed7fd806d69c0daabacc93c.jpg

As a guy looking to get a x90d, is there resolution now about which vehicles have active vs fixed spoilers? Are all model x currently delivering with active?
The switchover happened in early May. All Model X with a build date of April or earlier should have the active spoiler, while from May on the standard models have a fixed spoiler and the Performance models have an active spoiler. By now most of the 90Ds with active spoilers have already been delivered, and it's far too late to order one with the hopes of getting it.