TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

For those with Ludicrous mode, how often are you in it?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Rider, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Rider

Rider Member

I'm trying to decide between a P100D and a 100D.

Are people keeping their P100Ds in ludicrous mode or is it just a "special" thing for launches where you are showing off the car.

Or are you enjoying the extra performance like "all the time"?

2. WattMobile

WattMobile Member

I don´t own a Model S with ludicrous anymore. But when I did, some days I left it in ludi mode but mostly sport because it was already plenty fast and don´t get to punch it that often because of the speed limits. So I would say go for 100D, even tho the ludicrous is pretty nice to have but only if money is not an issue as the price difference is noticeable.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

100% Ludicrous, 100% of the time :cool:

• Like x 11
    • Funny x 1
  4. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE!!

• Like x 8
  5. Vegas

Vegas Member

I have P90DL and drive in Lude all the time. I love it. It never gets old for me. However, as WattMobile quite rightly points out you pay a premium for it. Probably depends on your personality and how much of a kick you get from launching. For me it's worth it - not so my wife who drives in Chill.

• Like x 6
  6. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

There's another mode besides Ludicrous? lol jk Use it all the time and try to stay out of trouble

• Like x 6
  7. Plug it in

Plug it in Member

ALWAYS!

• Like x 5
  8. Ande

Ande Member

Always, except during winter (driving on snow/ice) then sport.

9. anicolao

anicolao Member

My wife would only let me buy her insane, not ludicrous. She couldn't see the point of being able to launch faster.

She drives her Model X in insane mode 100% of the time, and she didn't even want the feature :-(

I use chill to tame down autopilot on long road trips, but otherwise drive on the fastest acceleration mode in both X's. It just is more fun, and gives you more options.

It is not clear if this is correlated with the ridiculous rate at which my wife's car eats tires.

• Like x 1
  10. MrAustraliaTax

(P85DL)
    Ludicrous all the time.
    Much better for passing at highway speeds.

• Like x 3
  11. Tiger

Tiger Member

Whenever I get the chance to drive a P, I use ludicrous all the time. That's what it's there for, and that's what I'm paying for. It does not matter what the weather is, traction control and responsible driving takes care of that. Also, it makes sure you don't get left without options in various situations where a quick speed up helps by adding more safety margin (merges, passing, etc.).

• Like x 2
  12. SDRick

SDRick Member

Doesn’t make sense to pay for it and not use it.

• Like x 4
  13. The Duke

The Duke Member

If you are not in Ludicrous Mode you will not have it when you really need it.

• Like x 2
  14. Pretty Fast

Pretty Fast New Member

Always ludi, when there is no snow.
    When in sport It would be nice to be able to kick through to ludi if needed; like “full military power”. Most issues are avoided by braking, but fast acceleration is a great tool in some circumstances.

15. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Ludicrous 100% of the time in our 2015 P85D+ No sense to turn it off since I paid for the Ludicrous upgrade while it was still available... and LOVE the difference in the "passing speed" (30 - 80 mph)

• Like x 1
  16. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

Owner of a P100D here and this is the first time I hearing there is a mode other than Ludicrous. I hope I didn't have to pay extra for these slower modes :).

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Lud all the time. I you can control it with your right foot. I don’t need a nanny :)

• Like x 1
  18. sundoc

sundoc Member

Was in Insane mode from when I picked up all the way until Luda upgrade... now always in Luda mode :)

• Like x 2
  19. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

Always in ludicrous mode. Gentle acceleration is no easier in Sport or Chill, so I see no reason not to be in ludicrous unless a valet has the car.

The original question might also ask how often we actually use ludicrous acceleration. I do a fair bit, but almost never from a standing start. With practice you can quickly roll on power from low speed, have the accelerator briefly floored and then roll it off smoothly and hit a target speed to within an MPH or two without overshooting. Lots of fun.

• Like x 3