Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forced Autopilot Disengagement problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is so frustrated with this Forced Autopilot Disengagement. I always have at least one hand on the wheel, but got got Forced Autopilot Disengagement 4 times in a week. How do I let the car know I am holding the wheel?

It is so frustrated with this Forced Autopilot Disengagement. I always have at least one hand on the wheel, but got got Forced Autopilot Disengagement 4 times in a week. How do I let the car know I am holding the wheel?

Just holding the wheel does not work. You need to gently tug the wheel to let the car know. You can also move the left scroll wheel a couple notches up or down to let the car know you are holding the wheel. That will also work.

Reactions: Ciaopec
You need to apply turning torque to the yoke. I typically hang on to one side. if you grip the yoke/wheel with both hands it usually cancels out any turning force, so I only hang on with one hand. The alert message even tells you to apply turning force

Which year/model do you have this issue in? Is there an in-cabin camera (above the rear view mirror)? Is this issue primarily happening at night time (i.e. - dark in the cabin)? Are you noticing any warning or given any time before “autopilot jail” (i.e. - can’t use autopilot again until next drive)?

And also what previous commenters said about applying slight rotation torque on the steering wheel like gently letting your hand hang on one side of the steering wheel.

I have a MYLR 2021, which has internal camera, but not sure whether it is turned on. Yes I received warning before the jail. But I was holding wheel. So I just twist the wheel a few times to get it go away.

Thanks for the advices. I normally hold on one side of the wheel, I guess I need also pull down a little too add torque. I will try the move the scroll wheel trick.

Reactions: TresLA
I have a MYLR 2021, which has internal camera, but not sure whether it is turned on. Yes I received warning before the jail. But I was holding wheel. So I just twist the wheel a few times to get it go away.

Thanks for the advices. I normally hold on one side of the wheel, I guess I need also pull down a little too add torque. I will try the move the scroll wheel trick.
Try those slight torque and scroll wheel methods, but if still have issues, make a service appointment to have Tesla investigate. Some have reported issues at night because their in cabin camera isn’t detecting eye gaze properly.

Reactions: Dewg
The algorithm has been made much more sensitive lately, and the level of force required to get FSDb to recognize driver attention has increased in magnitude and duration. The warnings also have increased in frequency, sometimes you will go from "Please keep hands on wheel" to "AP Jail" without any audible cues and with less than 5 flashes of the blue visual warning cue.

Also using the scroll wheels only sometimes counts as driver engagement, other times the car will ignore this input as driver engagement.

You actually have to actively remind the car that you are attentive, and the only reliable way to do this is twisting the wheel against autopilot.

I really hate this new level of engagement required, but someone was probably selling a knockoff scroll wheel that randomly scrolled up and down to give the driver a similar effect to the wheel weights some people were trying. I actually had enough (5) forced disengagement to remove FSDb but it was restored at the latest update. Every disengagement I was holding the wheel, but not hard enough or before I understood that some scroll wheel input is ignored.

Quickest way to see if it’s the cabin camera (which is more than likely the problem ) causing the issue is disable fsd beta and drive the car ..that’s what was going on with mine I was sitting at the light and got the red steering wheel and would get the pay attention sign every time I started fsd beta again .my cabin camera was not working at all and I drive fsd for about 40 miles and got 5 strikes over a 4 day period

I’ve been driving for months without a AP disengagement, yesterday I went to AP Jail twice. It did not give me the blue warnings either. I also noticed it happened around the same place on the highway. Has anyone else noticed issues recently? Also wondering how to report to Tesla.

Reactions: StuartBB
Ok, I'm searching for answers here because I had a similar experience. I was driving on the interstate, center lane on autopilot set to 77 mph. Daylight overcast conditions. I was resting my left hand on the steering wheel and me eyes were looking at the traffic ahead. My foot was off the pedals. All the sudden I get the red steering wheel warning to take over and was placed on autopilot jail. What's up with that? No warning or explanation why. This happen about 2 hours into the drive. This is ridiculous.

Reactions: StuartBB
I have never had it disengaged and i just updated to 10.69.3.1 Thursday morning before leaving to visit parents. Then while driving to visit parents for the weekend I had 1 forced disenagagement on way there, and 2 on way home now sitting at 3. it’s a 4 hour drive one way. I was paying attention but while on freeway sometimes you look at scenery or at screen or other things. And after the first time i felt ok maybe i was little more lenient then I should but after that i was sure to pay better attention to watch the nag and sometimes i give it the nag and it doesn’t seem to take, so then i press little harder and once went too far and had to reengage the autopilot. Then last time i had it on, and was driving on freeway and pushed stalk down to turn lanes and then all of a sudden gave the disengagement message for impropper use. It’s so frustrating. So now i feel like i cant even use it. It’s more work to try and use it then just drive.

How can you reset this? I know it reset after 1 update a few updates ago, am I literally screwed if I go to 5? I do hav 2 left but if i go to 4 and how easy it is to get it, it’s like i feel im cursed now. And this wasn’t at night it was afternoon before it got dark. I even had sunglasses on for the two that took place today.

I have never had it disengaged and i just updated to 10.69.3.1 Thursday morning before leaving to visit parents. Then while driving to visit parents for the weekend I had 1 forced disenagagement on way there, and 2 on way home now sitting at 3. it’s a 4 hour drive one way. I was paying attention but while on freeway sometimes you look at scenery or at screen or other things. And after the first time i felt ok maybe i was little more lenient then I should but after that i was sure to pay better attention to watch the nag and sometimes i give it the nag and it doesn’t seem to take, so then i press little harder and once went too far and had to reengage the autopilot. Then last time i had it on, and was driving on freeway and pushed stalk down to turn lanes and then all of a sudden gave the disengagement message for impropper use. It’s so frustrating. So now i feel like i cant even use it. It’s more work to try and use it then just drive.

How can you reset this? I know it reset after 1 update a few updates ago, am I literally screwed if I go to 5? I do hav 2 left but if i go to 4 and how easy it is to get it, it’s like i feel im cursed now. And this wasn’t at night it was afternoon before it got dark. I even had sunglasses on for the two that took place today.
I’ve looked all over this forum, and I can’t find the “Forced Autopilot Disengagement” COUNTER. Where can I find it? I don’t want to be kicked out of FSD Beta….closer to five strikes and I’ll be even more cautious!!! Thanks!

I too am having this problem. It is not every time but often no matter how much pressure I apply, evento the point of disengaging the AutoPilot bu turning it hard the warning will still disengage for the remainder of the drive. Driving a 2022 model Y. See attached

Attachments

• 17094167224881292922605340789298.jpg
    17094167224881292922605340789298.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Informative
Reactions: JB47394
I too am having this problem. It is not every time but often no matter how much pressure I apply, evento the point of disengaging the AutoPilot bu turning it hard the warning will still disengage for the remainder of the drive. Driving a 2022 model Y. See attached
That's a service call.

That said, I can get into that predicament if I have torque applied when I engage FSD. It won't recognize torque until I back off and reapply it. I assume Autopilot would exhibit the same behavior.

If the nag won’t go away while torquing, try reversing the direction. You may need to alternate directions frequently.