Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

former BMW owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to get opinions on people who have had BMWs and made the transition to a tesla. I would like to know if you all have any regrets or do you think you made the right decision. I have had BMWs and I have a long-range model y on order.

I've had a 330cic, two Mini Coopers, and most recently an X3. I have absolutely no regrets and I like the way the Model Y drives better than any BMW I've had. The Y has great acceleration, steering and handling is firm and responsive and the car has the solid feel I always loved with BMWs. Luckily, unlike BMW, maintenance shouldn't end up being a long term crippling problem. I live in the Tampa, FL area and every Tesla tech I've encountered is a former BMW tech and they have all told me how much better these Teslas are compared the the BMWs they've worked on over the years (production QC aside).

I've had a 330cic, two Mini Coopers, and most recently an X3. I have absolutely no regrets and I like the way the Model Y drives better than any BMW I've had. The Y has great acceleration, steering and handling is firm and responsive and the car has the solid feel I always loved with BMWs. Luckily, unlike BMW, maintenance shouldn't end up being a long term crippling problem. I live in the Tampa, FL area and every Tesla tech I've encountered is a former BMW tech and they have all told me how much better these Teslas are compared the the BMWs they've worked on over the years (production QC aside).

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I noticed you have the white with black interior. How is that down in Tampa? I was agonizing over white vs black interior and went with white because I'm down in Texas and it's insanely hot for parts of the year.

7 x Beemer owner here and now have MYP with no regrets. The pro's significantly outweigh any cons in my book. I've written about it in other threads but the biggest adjustment is the aesthetics. I am fairly sure you'll be very happy with the driving dynamics and although the MY suspension can be a little harsh it won't be much of an adjustment from most BMWs.
Regarding the aesthetics, you'll hear a lot of people complain about the quality of the interior of the Model 3 and Y versus BMW - I disagree. I feel that the quality of the materials rivals the 3 series and even 5 series (based on my 2018 X5. I have also owned a 2016 650ix which was Nappa leather everywhere). I feel those people confuse the aesthetics with the quality; the scarcity of the interior doesn't 'feel' as luxurious, but this is personal opinion, there is nothing wrong with the quality of the plastics etc compared again to BMW. Once you adjust then getting back into a traditional 'luxury' car feels fussy and honestly a bit silly.
Driving dynamics are excellent (on my MYP at least) and the speed, acceleration (effortless) and yes handling all easily surpass driving enjoyment of my 2011 BMW M3 Competition (last of the V8s).
Get ready for some fit and finish issues but they'll fix them if need be.

I've owned a 7, an X5, and traded in a 335i hardtop convertible with the sports package for my MY LR with accel boost. The Y is better in every way, acceleration, speed, handling, comfort, comfortable suspension (I made sure I got the 19" Gemini wheels, went through 4 low profile tires and one wheel in the BMW due to potholes and my back after surgery wanted a less harsh ride), and maintenance cost. The last two years I had the 335 it averaged over $350 per month for repairs and maintenance at a BMW master mechanic who was half the price of the dealer.

We still have the X5, it's my wife's. She loves it.

I would like to get opinions on people who have had BMWs and made the transition to a tesla. I would like to know if you all have any regrets or do you think you made the right decision. I have had BMWs and I have a long-range model y on order.

This thread is a bit old in the tooth now, and on model 3 vs Y, but model 3 and Y are like 90% the same car. Here is more feedback than you likely want, but should answer your question

I've had two 5-series, three 7-Series BMWs, 3 Audis (A5, A6 and A8). I don't miss having any of them! I friggin' love my MY LR! Both the 5 and & 7 series BMWs were riddled with electrical gremlins and costly maintenance overhead. I have none of the headache with the Y. I do have a P-car parked right next to the Y too but my hand always reaches for the proverbial key aka. my phone. LOL!

Coming from 2017 A4 and 2018 BMW X3, no regret. Of course, the experience might vary based on others who might have owned RS or M series. However, Model Y LR was way more engaging and enjoyable for my driving taste. To go further in fun gauge, I am adding M3 to my garage in few months.

If there is one and only thing that I miss? Definitiely service center and its ease of getting loaner.

I've owned several BMWs, and they are great cars, but I think going from BMW to Tesla may be one of the easier transitions....

a) You're already going to be used to a sportier car (compared to a Lexus for example) so you will likely find the car comfortable to drive

b) The cost of owning a Tesla should feel like a bargain compared to the cost of ownership we get used to with BMW (or any European car). For example, in my experience, it's pretty risky keeping a BMW beyond its warranty (unless you know a good independent mechanic or are ready to spend generously to keep the car on the road). After 6 - 7 years, it is very possible you will be spending an average of 2 - 3k a year on maintenance/repairs, even with mild - moderate usage.

c) You will not be disappointed with the performance/driving dynamics of the Tesla

I currently have a 2020 LR Y, a 2010 BMW 335d and a 2018 BMW 430i. Reliability of BMW cars can vary a lot. The 335d is unreliable but the 430i is very reliable.

Here are few things that I miss when I drive the Tesla:
auto wipers that works properly
a compliant suspension
low road noise (I dumped the run-flat tires in both BMW)
CarPlay with phone and Waze integration
a navigation system that is takes into account the current traffic conditions
head-up display

Reactions: frankvb and Riguy
I currently have a 2020 LR Y, a 2010 BMW 335d and a 2018 BMW 430i. Reliability of BMW cars can vary a lot. The 335d is unreliable but the 430i is very reliable.

Here are few things that I miss when I drive the Tesla:
auto wipers that works properly
a compliant suspension
low road noise (I dumped the run-flat tires in both BMW)
CarPlay with phone and Waze integration
a navigation system that is takes into account the current traffic conditions
head-up display
IMO Overly compliant suspension and nav was so so, though I did like the hud and the window shades.

I still own my 328i. The BMW handles better, the body roll isn’t as harsh as the Tesla. I enjoy the sound system, a lot better than my Model 3 SR+(Even though my SR MY has the premium audio). I still drive my 3 series a few times a week. BMW’s will always have a special place in my heart. Even though the company has lost their soul with previous generation, I’m hearing great things about the generation coming out now. The M4 Competition is something special.

E83 X3
F07 Gran Turismo
I03 i3 REx
F26 X4 M40i

The refinement and build quality of my BMWs was great, but really the MYP blows them out of the water overall. Getting back into my X4M40i after driving wife’s MYP drove me crazy, so I traded it and got my own.

The only BMW features I miss are the thigh support extensions in the seats, the extremely tight steering (the MYP in sport mode isn’t bad) and the soft close doors (which you can purchase and install from a vendor).

Reactions: gavine