Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former muscle car owner - thoughts and opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you tell me why when you drove a Challenger you didn't spare a thought about the execs pollution spouting out of the tailpipe? no guilty feeling at all?

Careful with the self righteousness as it gives ammunition to the bad guys. The OP was expressing an honest and open opinion that was coming around to your perspective from a place where the vast majority of Americans were raised - embrace and amplify it.

Great post! Can you tell me why when you drove a Challenger you didn't spare a thought about the execs pollution spouting out of the tailpipe? no guilty feeling at all?

I hear people all the time making the argument that the sound of a fossil car somehow is more important than the clean air. do you understand this type of thinking?
Here, let me put this soap box under your feet...

Great post! Can you tell me why when you drove a Challenger you didn't spare a thought about the execs pollution spouting out of the tailpipe? no guilty feeling at all?

I hear people all the time making the argument that the sound of a fossil car somehow is more important than the clean air. do you understand this type of thinking?

@Mj66

I'll take your question at face value and answer for myself:

Every single car I've owned in my life, with 2 exceptions, has been a performance car. Either a big rumbly V8 or a high revving I6. I would put this down to where and when I was born and grew up and those I grew up around more than anything else. Much like most people are products of their environment to a certain extent, I am a product of mine. Have you ever stood along a 1/4 mile drag strip and FELT the cars as they staged? Smelled the 110 octane fuel after they raced by? It's very exhilarating. Same for driving (whether on a track or a street) for me, though to a lesser extent on the street. I wouldn't say the sound of an ICE car is more important that clean air, but it definitely makes my hair stand up. If ICE cars end up outlawed in the future, I will be a bit sad. But, like leaded gas and oil based car enamel, I will understand that some things need to be banned for the collective good.

In the meantime, much like many of the others in this thread, I find myself wanting the quiet performance and 21st century experience of a Tesla more than the not-as-exhilarating-as-it-used-to-be experience of my current V8. I don't really think too much about the environment when it comes to cars to be honest. My pet peeve is seeing only half of my neighbors use their recycle bins every week. ;-)

I'm old. I grew up with loud cars, cheap gas, and no environmental awareness. This whole "Climate Change" mentality is new to a lot of us. It's going to take some time to get us all converted over to a "let's not poop where we eat", "save the planet" mind set.

It is happening, this change of mindset. But taking the "I'm gonna shove it down your throat" type of attitude with a post like @Mj66 's is going to do more harm than good. If he honestly thinks that type of SJW BS is going to change minds instead of inciting rage, he's just flat out wrong.

In terms of the maintenance. I think people are referring to any vehicle that would be comparable to the performance of the model three. I came from a cabrio 335i which was fun but very expensive to own and maintain. And loud, and smelly. I won’t go on!

Sure, it won’t always be $600 services two or three times per year; but as the ICE vehicle ages. The Tesla begins to pull away with the larger maintenance requirements not needed.

Tesla could add a feature to pump that “visceral” noise of an ICE car into the sound system and to the external speaker. Options of sound sources and levels! They could even program in “gear shifting” lurches in acceleration and sound. Include backfiring when single pedal braking. Or we could all just get used to the quieter EV experience...

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Before purchasing my M3, I was on this forum quite often. Thought I would give back and share my thoughts and opinion for any other folks considering an M3. I have a Red M3 LR AWD with white interior and 19's.

The background
I've always been a car guy. Some of my previous cars are WRX, BMW 335i, and my last car - 2015 Challenger SRT 392. The Challenger was a manual transmission and daily driver. I live in Canada and yes, I drove the Challenger in the winter.

My thoughts and opinions

Fuel savings
- Just did the calculation and the amount of fuel saved was way more than I originally planned. This is mainly due to the fact that we are using the M3 on the weekends as opposed to my wife's car. Of course for me, this is a huge savings coming from the Challenger but it makes a significant impact on the financials of this purchase

Driving experience - The M3 does not have the noise, interaction and thrill of the Challenger. The M3 is fast and handles well but it does not substitute the visceral feeling of driving the Challenger. Having said that, most of the time I drove the Challenger was on a straight line on a highway plus I'm getting old. In other words, although the noise was glorious at times, when it's 7 am and I'm heading off to work, it was a bit annoying.

Also on the driving experience, initially I found it quite boring. There really isn't anything to look at since there is only one screen. The car drives so effortlessly and with no drama. I have since become more used to this and I look around the surrounding more (since you can use autopilot) and also focus more on the podcasts/music.

The buying experience
- I've had read many posts about the challenges of customer service with this really fast growing company. If you want to buy anything from this company, be prepared to have the possibility of misinformation, delays and not being able to get a hold of a real person. They are trying but when the company is growing so quickly, items you take for granted when interacting with a traditional auto dealer may not hold true with Tesla. I purchased an inventory car at the beginning of December and long story short, I picked up my car on December 31st. There was no sense in complaining because quite frankly, if I didn't like it, they would have easily sold my car to someone else.

Winter range - I am currently experiencing about a 40% loss in range during the winter. It's not as bad as I thought. I do NOT hyper mile, I have the heater going, stereo playing and a drive the car "normally". I also have 19's wheels with winter tires but I also do a lot of highway driving.

One pedal driving - This is probably my most favourite feature of the car. Prior to purchasing the car, saw many videos of people raving about this but didn't really understand why. I still don't understand why I love this feature so much. Every time I have to use the brakes, it feels like SO much work. I had no idea I am so lazy.

Feeling good about the environment - This was NOT a reason at all of why I purchased the car however now that I have it, I have become more environmentally aware. Small things like watching the energy consumption at home and becoming more educated on climate change is a result of buying this car. I'm not going to march in any protests any time soon but I do feel like I'm making a contribution.

I hope this information will help someone in their purchase decision.

Before purchasing my M3, I was on this forum quite often. Thought I would give back and share my thoughts and opinion for any other folks considering an M3. I have a Red M3 LR AWD with white interior and 19's.

The background
I've always been a car guy. Some of my previous cars are WRX, BMW 335i, and my last car - 2015 Challenger SRT 392. The Challenger was a manual transmission and daily driver. I live in Canada and yes, I drove the Challenger in the winter.

My thoughts and opinions

Fuel savings
- Just did the calculation and the amount of fuel saved was way more than I originally planned. This is mainly due to the fact that we are using the M3 on the weekends as opposed to my wife's car. Of course for me, this is a huge savings coming from the Challenger but it makes a significant impact on the financials of this purchase

Driving experience - The M3 does not have the noise, interaction and thrill of the Challenger. The M3 is fast and handles well but it does not substitute the visceral feeling of driving the Challenger. Having said that, most of the time I drove the Challenger was on a straight line on a highway plus I'm getting old. In other words, although the noise was glorious at times, when it's 7 am and I'm heading off to work, it was a bit annoying.

Also on the driving experience, initially I found it quite boring. There really isn't anything to look at since there is only one screen. The car drives so effortlessly and with no drama. I have since become more used to this and I look around the surrounding more (since you can use autopilot) and also focus more on the podcasts/music.

The buying experience
- I've had read many posts about the challenges of customer service with this really fast growing company. If you want to buy anything from this company, be prepared to have the possibility of misinformation, delays and not being able to get a hold of a real person. They are trying but when the company is growing so quickly, items you take for granted when interacting with a traditional auto dealer may not hold true with Tesla. I purchased an inventory car at the beginning of December and long story short, I picked up my car on December 31st. There was no sense in complaining because quite frankly, if I didn't like it, they would have easily sold my car to someone else.

Winter range - I am currently experiencing about a 40% loss in range during the winter. It's not as bad as I thought. I do NOT hyper mile, I have the heater going, stereo playing and a drive the car "normally". I also have 19's wheels with winter tires but I also do a lot of highway driving.

One pedal driving - This is probably my most favourite feature of the car. Prior to purchasing the car, saw many videos of people raving about this but didn't really understand why. I still don't understand why I love this feature so much. Every time I have to use the brakes, it feels like SO much work. I had no idea I am so lazy.

Feeling good about the environment - This was NOT a reason at all of why I purchased the car however now that I have it, I have become more environmentally aware. Small things like watching the energy consumption at home and becoming more educated on climate change is a result of buying this car. I'm not going to march in any protests any time soon but I do feel like I'm making a contribution.

I hope this information will help someone in their purchase decision.

Current 2016 SRT 392 owner going to have to trade it in for a Model 3 (still waiting on a vin). My SRT392 is also a manual, I installed the barton short throw shifter, it has a hell cat air intake, billet catch can, in excellent condition, garage kept, hand washed by me, the car never seen the rain. It is a TON of fun to drive and if I had to money I would definitely keep it. Increasingly I am the only one driving this car, the family cannot fit in this car anymore. But honestly I don't feel bad trading this in because I am tired of all the shenanigans at the dodge dealership. Every oil change they tack on some extra work, and scare you into doing it, I walk out dropping $500 bucks. I have replaced a lot of tires already and tires are not cheap. I always park it far far away from "people" and I wife hates me for it when we have to walk across the parking lot in 100+ heat. Wife says I am treating the car like a new born, and is getting tired of all these quirks and refuses to drive in the challenger now. I love the SRT392, love the drive, love the sound, love it when people stop and look at it and tell me that is a beautiful car. The only cure for me is to let go of this car.

I decided on the Model3 after driving a friends car. I care a lot about the environment, but that is not what influenced my buy decision. Tesla is really the way forward when it comes to buying a car, it would be financially wise as well. Tesla is really an AI company and just happens to be in the car business, and as a platform for delivering FSD Tesla is far far ahead. Also I still get to do a bit of flag-waving "made in the USA" in front of my friends in tight jeans who are Porsche fan boys.

I'm old. I grew up with loud cars, cheap gas, and no environmental awareness. This whole "Climate Change" mentality is new to a lot of us. It's going to take some time to get us all converted over to a "let's not poop where we eat", "save the planet" mind set.

It is happening, this change of mindset. But taking the "I'm gonna shove it down your throat" type of attitude with a post like @Mj66 's is going to do more harm than good. If he honestly thinks that type of SJW BS is going to change minds instead of inciting rage, he's just flat out wrong.

I have to, sadly, identify with the first paragraph. I have to, gratefully, also identify with the opening sentence of the second paragraph. As a small rebuke to judgement, I concur with the rest of it also.

Researching EV's, and Hybrids, over the last couple of years has been instrumental in getting me to my present point of environmental awareness and advocacy. For example, at the beginning of this process I was of the opinion that Hybrids were the sweet spot of the moment for making the transition to electrification. However, as I became converted to accepting that electrical capacity is sufficient to carry full scale electrification I began to see hybrids as a no-win compromise - unnecessarily complicated and wasteful of resources. The recent decision to purchase my Tesla M3 has confirmed me in my new direction. It was much more than buying an exciting new car. It was crossing the street into a new paradigm. Good for all of you that have been occupying this high ground for awhile. Now it would be good for you to graciously welcome those of us who join you.

@MMMM Fun I'm in the same situation as you. I was raised on '65, '66, '67 Mustangs and have always had a muscle car of some kind.

After 9 years, I'm selling my Cadillac CTS-V Wagon (still has collector value which will pay for a huge chunk of my PM3). I say I will miss the whine of the supercharger, and the ability to break the rear tires loose at any speed <40MPH (or alternatively, not miss its inability to hook up *at all*, if it's even slightly damp out). It's a car that satisfies all my caveman urges. OTOH here are a few things I won't miss:

1) 1/2019 gasoline bill: $604 (it gets 9-12 MPG and is a daily driver). Monthly avg. is $400-$600
2) $2,500 in new control arms in Nov.
3) $850 for transmission shaft seal in Dec., of which $790 was labor
4) It'll possibly need a new rear differential in the next 7-8,000 miles, although mine is in great shape compared to many others

I took baby steps, securing a lease return BMW i3 for pennies, and putting 9kW of solar on my roof. I find myself driving the i3 as often as I can - it's surprisingly fun - except my wife always takes it, leaving her SUV in the driveway.

The final decision point is kind of ironic: there was a thread on this forum about noise complaints / tire & wheel choices / wind issues at highway speeds, and how the M3 was ~62-64 dB in cruise and it sucked. My CTS-V, with all the advanced engineering of the Cadillac brand (ha) averages about 73 dB at 70MPH. Like the Challenger poster earlier in the thread noted, this can be fun on a Saturday but is a real drag at 7AM on a Monday, on the way to the office.

Can't wait to take delivery of my PM3!!!

/TCP

Tesla could add a feature to pump that “visceral” noise of an ICE car into the sound system and to the external speaker. Options of sound sources and levels! They could even program in “gear shifting” lurches in acceleration and sound. Include backfiring when single pedal braking. Or we could all just get used to the quieter EV experience...

Ack. No! But, maybe some Starship Enterprise effects. Or Millenial Falcon/Tie Fighter. :)

I was considering a Model 3, but got a Mercedes C300 Coupe. I like the sound of the engine in Sport Mode. However, I'm pretty sure my next car will be an EV. (I'll probably get a Mercedes if they have a good one.
I was considering a Model 3, but got a Mercedes C300 Coupe. I like the sound of the engine in Sport Mode. However, I'm pretty sure my next car will be an EV. (I'll probably get a Mercedes if they have a good one.
Coming from 2 German gas gussler car, moving to EV is quiet an experienced....(MBE350 and BMW328i) I did comparisson on money savings on gas criteria, comfort and accelerations and fortunately of having Solar City PV also took my move 100% to EV and will not be looking back soon.

I have a clip of my old LS7 barking to life,
and have been hoping there's be a way
to upload and play when D selected!!!

I can see myself making all my own noises: Lumpity-lumpity-lumpity... Vroom! Vrooooom! Pop pop pop snap snap... :)

Current 2016 SRT 392 owner going to have to trade it in for a Model 3 (still waiting on a vin)....I love the SRT392, love the drive, love the sound, love it when people stop and look at it and tell me that is a beautiful car. The only cure for me is to let go of this car...

I certainly understand the attraction of the SRTs - every time I see a Challenger I think - "Man - what a great-looking car!". The original Challenger was one of my favorite designs, and the current version does a great job of evoking those design cues.

Recently, I had a chance to grab a Challenger R/T Hemi as a rental - no, not a 392, but still not a "slow" car. I was really looking forward to driving it over a weekend just for grins. Within 30 minutes, I'd had enough and couldn't wait to get out of it. Between the poor overall visibility, the exhaust drone that NEVER went away and the lack of actual performance (compared to my Model 3 Performance), 30 minutes was enough "nostalgia" for me. I'll continue to appreciate looking at them from afar, but have no desire to ever own one. Maybe an original someday, as a weekend toy, though! :)

Congratulations on the switch!

I hope that you'll appreciate what the TM3P brings to the table and won't miss the 392 too much!