Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frame Failure called "Normal Wear and Tear" by Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen you post about this in a number of threads, all of which, including this thread, are for a different failure. (Even if it is still part of the sub-frame.)
Agreed. Is this a problem? (Honest question. Not being sarcastic). I just wanted to make sure others know whats up. I think any sub-frame failure is worth knowing about across the board. So far seems like I am the only one that has had the toe arm mount break.

My rear subframe developed cracks, 2013 P90 150,000 miles

1.jpg

Last edited:
Wait how did you fix it without dropping the subframe? Please do explain.
I cut an inspection hole in the trunk, purchased a Tig welder and welded it from there without dropping the subframe. Tack welded the plate that was cutout and used automotive seam sealer to waterproof the cutout area.
20231008_142505.jpg

Last edited:
@Gixx1300R Hey do you have a blown up photo of the cut-out area that you can post for us to see it more specifically
I placed 2 aluminun plates between the airline/ wiring harness and the sub trunk body before I did any cutting to protect them

20231008_104234.jpg

20231008_113238.jpg

I made these gussets out of 6061 billet aluminum but could onlu use 2 if them

10.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Attachments

• 20231008_132529.jpg
    20231008_132529.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Huachipato
Total time for my repair was about 2 1/2 hours, That was jacking up the car, removing the bottom panel covers, installing the aluminum plates to protect the airline and wiring harness, cutting the inspection plate inside the sub trunk, tig welding the motor mounts, tacking back the inspection plate, applying the seam sealer and replacing the carpet.

Total time for my repair was about 2 1/2 hours, That was jacking up the car, removing the bottom panel covers, installing the aluminum plates to protect the airline and wiring harness, cutting the inspection plate inside the sub trunk, tig welding the motor mounts, tacking back the inspection plate, applying the seam sealer and replacing the carpet.

holy smokes this is amazing, good job. its fascinating to me that I would not have even considered this as a potential option. it shows how comfortable I am with cars haha.

@Gixx1300R On another note, may I ask if you have had any issues with your HV battery pack? The reason I ask is I also have a 2013 build Model S which was a 60 kWh pack until last August when it went haywire, literally, out of the blue throwing codes out like no tomorrow ultimate dieing in my driveway, awaiting an appointment for weeks to be towed to the Princeton SC to be told it needs a new HV pack. All in all, a month out of the 8 year warranty, that’s right one month.

Out the shop about 6 weeks or so later $12K for a 90 kWh C version pack software locked to 75 kWh.