Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you need a solar PV system that can go off-grid and keep your EVs running then...

Is anybody selling them? I see everybody trying to sell grid-tied systems that are useless when the grid fails, and more specialized places selling totally off-grid systems, but nothing in between.

What I'd love to have is a system that's normally grid-tied (benefiting from feed-in tariffs and unlimited "grid storage"), but with a small amount of battery capacity and the ability to throw a switch and run isolated in an emergency. In that mode it would be necessary to carefully manage usage, but that would be a huge win against sitting there with the sun shining but no juice.

I've never seen such a system offered, but maybe I've not looked in the right places?

Is anybody selling them? I see everybody trying to sell grid-tied systems that are useless when the grid fails, and more specialized places selling totally off-grid systems, but nothing in between.

What I'd love to have is a system that's normally grid-tied (benefiting from feed-in tariffs and unlimited "grid storage"), but with a small amount of battery capacity and the ability to throw a switch and run isolated in an emergency.

Backup Systems

Solar - Schneider Electric

If you have a solar system and the power is out will be power meter still runnin reverse? I am having solar installed in the next month or 2 myself. I would definitely think of a way to bridge the system during times of power outages directly off grid. That doesn't seem like it would be very hard.

from my Samsung galaxy s3

If you have a solar system and the power is out will be power meter still runnin reverse? I am having solar installed in the next month or 2 myself. I would definitely think of a way to bridge the system during times of power outages directly off grid. That doesn't seem like it would be very hard.

Most standard solar PV systems are required to have an "anti-islanding" feature which shuts them down on loss of the 50/60Hz supply from the grid. This is to prevent electrocution of utility workers who may think that the user side is isolated.

If you want to have service during a power outage, you must install automatic transfer switches and a back-up system like those I linked above. These isolate the supply and create a "fake" 50/60Hz signal that re-engages the PV inverter to supply your home and/or charge batteries for use at night.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/n...tages-disrupting-recovery-from-hurricane.html

Storm-1-articleLarge.jpg

The scene was being replayed across the state as drivers waited in lines that ran hundreds of vehicles deep, requiring state troopers and local police to protect against exploding tempers.
“I’ve been pumping gas for 36 hours, I pumped 17,000 gallons,” said Abhishek Soni, the owner of an Exxon in Montclair, where disputes on the line Wednesday night had become so heated that Mr. Soni called the police and turned off the pumps for 45 minutes to restore calm. “My nose, my mouth is bleeding from the fumes. The fighting just makes it worse.”

Yep -- one of my FB friends, in NJ just posted this:

I've been sitting in a gas line for about an hour and it was really starting to move and I'm thinking "finally yay!!" I get up to the front of the line and Nobody is here to pump has! People are lined up at a closed station!!! I've been waiting in line at a closed station for an hour! Do I stay and wait for someone to come now that I'm at the front of the line or do I leave?!?

Turns out the station was out of gas and the attendant left.

I wonder if this will have a positive impact on EV sales. Granted if there is no power at all the in area, an EV with a 70 mile range might not be much better but a Model S with a 85 kWh pack might be able to last long enough until the power is back on.