Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging transfer opportunity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the deal is cancelled or changed, I believe / fear it's also gone (from the original car).
I don't think that is true. The only way you lose it altogether is if you take delivery of the new vehicle and then rollback the purchase for any reason. (Lemon claim, etc.)

If you reject the car and cancel your order the FUSC transfer is cancelled as well. (If you reject and they assign a new VIN the FUSC transfer should be updated with the VIN of the vehicle you take delivery of.)

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors and vickh
I don't think that is true. The only way you lose it altogether is if you take delivery of the new vehicle and then rollback the purchase for any reason. (Lemon claim, etc.)

If you reject the car and/or cancel your order the FUSC transfer is cancelled as well.
I hope your view is the right one. The way I processed the term language leads me to believe '...for any reason'...hence a bit of a concern on my part.

I wasn't expecting it either...but was hoping it could be true someday. My 2018 75D MS seems to take longer to supercharge and its battery capacity holds around 200 miles (I think). Would love the new S or X that both charges faster and has longer range for my future (post early retirement) cross-country travels; the price discount leading to $12.5k tax rebate tipped the scale toward the X (less range than the S but much better than my S).

Model X is in Inventory. So if you want an X now which qualifies for the Federal Tax Incentive and FUSC transfer then that is an option. I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm waiting to see if the RWD Y really is Cobalt rather than LFP. If it is then I'll pick up a MYLR from local Inventory.

I hope your view is the right one. The way I processed the term language leads me to believe '...for any reason'...hence a bit of a concern on my part.
Just found the transfer form I completed and reviewed the language further; the pertinent portion was "forfeiture of FUSC...in the event...you cancel or reverse the purchase of your new vehicle after delivery". I think you're right.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Model X is in Inventory. So if you want an X now which qualifies for the Federal Tax Incentive and FUSC transfer then that is an option. I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm waiting to see if the RWD Y really is Cobalt rather than LFP. If it is then I'll pick up a MYLR from local Inventory.
Last I looked at available inventory within 200 miles I did not see one within $80k at standard price (can't be discounted or transfer will void).

Just found the transfer form I completed and reviewed the language further; the pertinent portion was "forfeiture of FUSC...in the event...you cancel or reverse the purchase of your new vehicle after delivery". I think you're right.
Yep, the two words "after delivery" are the important ones. You just have to hope that you don't get an actual lemon.

I have also been looking at the verbiage with care. According to the transfer agreement, I will forfeit "FUSC" on my existing vehicle and accept "free Supercharging" on the new vehicle. Does anyone know the difference between "FUSC" and "free Supercharging"? Dropping the word "unlimited" makes me feel uneasy. The delivery team claims that the 2 terms are the same, saying that "merely the name of the form is variation of the item to be transferred." Thoughts/insights?

I have also been looking at the verbiage with care. According to the transfer agreement, I will forfeit "FUSC" on my existing vehicle and accept "free Supercharging" on the new vehicle. Does anyone know the difference between "FUSC" and "free Supercharging"? Dropping the word "unlimited" makes me feel uneasy. The delivery team claims that the 2 terms are the same, saying that "merely the name of the form is variation of the item to be transferred." Thoughts/insights?
This is less of an insight and more of a thought. I think Tesla's careful wording (consistent use of unlimited when referring to the starting feature and its omission when referring to the resulting feature) is intentional due to SC01 and SC05. It is clear in the form however that the resulting feature is one that is SC05-specific...that free Supercharing will be active while we remain the owner of the new vehicle.

I think the big difference is that after you've accepted your car and the free supercharging transfer is complete you can't sell the car and then the new owner gets free supercharging.

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Wow, Tesla pushed this hard. I got notifications in the app, by email, text from my local service center, and on the touchscreen.

Was on the fence for awhile. I love my 2017 75D and had always assumed I'd drive it till it couldn't drive anymore. FUSC is one of my favorite features and never thought I'd get that on a new car.

Eventually decided to go for it. Ordered a new S, mainly for the longer range (with degradation, almost double) and new everything.

Haven't decided whether to trade in current car. Wife deciding if she wants it. And Tesla's offer seems absurdly low (but admittedly that could be because I love the car more than the market does).

Appreciate the conversation and tips here; y'all are super great.

Reactions: ChiefRollo
Wow, Tesla pushed this hard. I got notifications in the app, by email, text from my local service center, and on the touchscreen.

Was on the fence for awhile. I love my 2017 75D and had always assumed I'd drive it till it couldn't drive anymore. FUSC is one of my favorite features and never thought I'd get that on a new car.

Eventually decided to go for it. Ordered a new S, mainly for the longer range (with degradation, almost double) and new everything.

Haven't decided whether to trade in current car. Wife deciding if she wants it. And Tesla's offer seems absurdly low (but admittedly that could be because I love the car more than the market does).

Appreciate the conversation and tips here; y'all are super great.
Just a reminder that may be redundant, make sure to not sell your S (private party) or transfer it to another Tesla account (if the wife has a separate one) before the transfer has taken place...as you need to remain its owner up to the point of transfer.

Thanks for pointing this out. I read the transfer agreement also . . . “UNLIMITED” is used about 5x . . . “Forfeit the free, UNLIMITED SC; … Accept the Forfeiture of the free, UNLIMITED SC …. Tesla will remove the free, UNLIMITED SC … the forfeiture of free, UNLIMITED SC … cannot be reversed after you accept this agreement.

In turn you will receive free SC. No verbiage of unlimited. On term 13 - agree to abide by Tesla’s SC Fair Use Policy . . . Viewed at tesla.com/legal/terms#supercharging-fair-use-policy.

“Supercharger Fair Use Policy . . . . This Policy applies to all Superchargers worldwide and all Tesla vehicles with **free unlimited Supercharging or free Supercharging** for the lifetime of vehicle ownership, purchased, either new or used, whether from Tesla or a third party, after December 15, 2017.”

Which makes a distinction between the unlimited free and free.

Interesting. So what is the difference, I wonder?
Perhaps those of us with free (but not unlimited) supercharging can only use it as intended by Tesla, i.e. on trips?
Ridesharing. Those who have SC01 from before the date of the fair use policy are allowed to use superchargers for commercial use. Those who are governed by the current policy are not & risk having their free supercharging SC05 taken away by Tesla.

I see unlimited means it stays with the car even if you sell it to whomever that may be.

Free means it’s free until the car is transferred to a new owner.

The previous transfer offer was capped at 3 years. This one is not capped in years but it’s gone forever if you sell the car. (Unless Tesla offers another transfer option ;-)
I have “unlimited” on my 2017 tesla . . . if I sell - it does NOT stay w/ car.

Reactions: TFCooper3
I have “unlimited” on my 2017 tesla . . . if I sell - it does NOT stay w/ car.
I have the same on my 2018 S 100D, the SC05 supercharging that only stays with me while I own the car and does not transfer to future owners. For SC05 owners like ourselves, it makes a lot of sense to take this deal and transfer the SC05 to a new Tesla. I'm looking forward to faster free supercharges in the Model Y.