Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offers to transfer lifetime free supercharging to new vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd appreciate if other rear drive S owners would share their driving impressions after test driving dual motor S's. I just test drove a 2023 long range and when I got back in our 2013, I enjoy the driving dynamics of our '13. Curious if I'm alone in this situation.
Have a 2013 P85 with 21s which I keep at a 2nd home and ordered a 23 stealth gray MSLR with 19s to transfer FUSC. Keeping the 2013 till it dies but still runs like a champ (100% indicated range is 236 miles, have taken good care of car) except for 3 slightly bent rims which cause a slight vibration at freeway speeds (not making that mistake again, getting 19s this time). Love the opening glass roof and storage space between front seats on 13 but in every other respect the 23 is leaps and bounds better. Other car is 22 Taycan 4S which is an absurd and amazing car but the 23 MSLR is a tremendous value, just a tad above half of what the Taycan cost. Had 23 MSLR as a loaner for 2 days and then took a test drove before I placed current order and the 23 really handles much better than the 13 and accelerates out of corner much cleaner (credit to AWD). 13 is more of an untamed muscle car that can even fishtail when ground is wet but I think I will enjoy the 23s handling much more.

Reactions: hydro and greenbert
Have a 2013 P85 with 21s which I keep at a 2nd home and ordered a 23 stealth gray MSLR with 19s to transfer FUSC. Keeping the 2013 till it dies but still runs like a champ (100% indicated range is 236 miles, have taken good care of car) except for 3 slightly bent rims which cause a slight vibration at freeway speeds (not making that mistake again, getting 19s this time). Love the opening glass roof and storage space between front seats on 13 but in every other respect the 23 is leaps and bounds better. Other car is 22 Taycan 4S which is an absurd and amazing car but the 23 MSLR is a tremendous value, just a tad above half of what the Taycan cost. Had 23 MSLR as a loaner for 2 days and then took a test drove before I placed current order and the 23 really handles much better than the 13 and accelerates out of corner much cleaner (credit to AWD). 13 is more of an untamed muscle car that can even fishtail when ground is wet but I think I will enjoy the 23s handling much more.
Why not get 19s on eBay? They are dirt cheap like 850 shipped brand new

Why not get 19s on eBay? They are dirt cheap like 850 shipped brand new
Just bought a brand new set of 21 inch tires and it was only at pickup after install that the Ft Myers service center notified me that 3 of the rims had slight bends. Not surprising, car lived its first 10 years in West LA bouncing around potholes. It's fine, I can just deal with it until the tires wear out.

Hey there

I ordered a MS Plaid on October 6th, and the delivery window stated (and states) "October - December".
They told me I would be able to transfer SuC from my current Oldie (P85 with AP1) to the new one, which I absolutely want to have.

However, I am more and more unsure about delivery in time. I live and ordered in Switzerland, and they told me first that I would likely get the car at the beginning to mid December, but now think it could also be last week of December. I would make sure to pick it up at the very day I can do it, but it could also be postponed a week more, and then it's January...

However, I was glad to read this:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-14 um 11.29.52.png

So, all good then? No, because I find this text only on (some) english pages and the main link which I used all the time: https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharger-transfer

However, this paragraph is completely missing on many other language versions of the page (i.e. all 3 languages in Switzerland). What's even more a sign of "translation missing, don't worry" is that on the english Canadian page, the text is there (https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/support/supercharger-transfer) but not on the french Canadian one (https://www.tesla.com/fr_ca/support/supercharger-transfer).

I contacted my delivery guy and he told me, that they cannot guarantee a delivery in December, and I have - again - asked him about the SuC-transfer, if it would be late. Got no response so far, except for that I can take delivery immediately of a different configuration (which I don't want).

Any tips, ideas, inputs?

Thanks
Raphi

Just got a Tesla text this morning with a update to FUSC transfer from delivered to ordered by EoY.

"Hey ****** , Are you still interested in the model s to transfer you super charging . They just announced if you place an order on a car before end of the year they will honor it to be transferred."
just reading this thread now... if this holds true, my problems would be solved.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS OFFER !!!!! I opted to buy a new Model Y to replace my Model 3 with unlimited free supercharging. I filled out the supercharger transfer paperwork and was told it was filed. The delivery of the Model Y was delayed twice and during that time I transferred the Model 3 to my wife's son. In order for him to get insurance on the Model 3 I had to remove it from my Tesla account. BUT THAT CANCELLED THE FREE SUPERCHARGING on both the Model 3 and my new Model Y. This is a deliberate trap Tesla has set up to get rid of free supercharging. It is ripe for a class action lawsuit. I am extremely upset with Tesla and no one at Tesla wants to fix it. This is a trap. Who doesn't need to sell a car in order to buy a new one? It is a stab in the back of early adopters and early Tesla supporters. I am talking to lawyers.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS OFFER !!!!! I opted to buy a new Model Y to replace my Model 3 with unlimited free supercharging. I filled out the supercharger transfer paperwork and was told it was filed. The delivery of the Model Y was delayed twice and during that time I transferred the Model 3 to my wife's son. In order for him to get insurance on the Model 3 I had to remove it from my Tesla account. BUT THAT CANCELLED THE FREE SUPERCHARGING on both the Model 3 and my new Model Y. This is a deliberate trap Tesla has set up to get rid of free supercharging. It is ripe for a class action lawsuit. I am extremely upset with Tesla and no one at Tesla wants to fix it. This is a trap. Who doesn't need to sell a car in order to buy a new one? It is a stab in the back of early adopters and early Tesla supporters. I am talking to lawyers.
It’s unfortunate, but, knowing Tesla, you should never let go of the old car unless you’ve taken delivery of the new car and confirmed the transfer of the features from the old car to the new one.

The delivery of the Model Y was delayed twice and during that time I transferred the Model 3 to my wife's son. In order for him to get insurance on the Model 3 I had to remove it from my Tesla account. BUT THAT CANCELLED THE FREE SUPERCHARGING on both the Model 3 and my new Model Y. This is a deliberate trap Tesla has set up to get rid of free supercharging. It is ripe for a class action lawsuit. I am extremely upset with Tesla and no one at Tesla wants to fix it.
There is nothing to fix. The terms are very clear that the donor vehicle has to stay in your account until after you take delivery of the new vehicle and the transfer is completed. (Unless you are trading it in to Tesla, and then you just have to keep it in your account until you take delivery of the new vehicle.)

1700012912874.png

In order for him to get insurance on the Model 3 I had to remove it from my Tesla account.
I can't imagine most insurance companies would care about that, so I assume your wife's son was using Tesla insurance?

Reactions: dsm363 and msm859
That does not hold true for orders placed between now and 12/31. They ARE allowing transfer for delivery after 12/31 only if at the time you ordered you were given a delivery date prior to 12/31.
I did order on October 6th and have a delivery window of October - December, but in Switzerland (and most other countries except for the US, Canada and Puerto Rico), the clause that they will honor your transfer if the delivery is late because of Tesla is NOT there.

So I'll have to hope my delivery will be in time...

I'm sorry to hear that you are in this situation, but the terms of the PDF stipulated that on the day of taking delivery of the new Tesla that would received transferred FUSC you still had to be the owner of the old Tesla with FUSC. Were you not provided a copy of the terms when you filled out the paperwork?

I'm sorry to hear that you are in this situation, but the terms of the PDF stipulated that on the day of taking delivery of the new Tesla that would received transferred FUSC you still had to be the owner of the old Tesla with FUSC. Were you not provided a copy of the terms when you filled out the paperwork?

Sorry to hear this. Sounds like you lost FUSC on the old car because Tesla saw the removal of the Model 3 as basically a "sale" which generally would remove the FUSC anyway for anything but SCO1. Hopefully you can get a hold of someone at Tesla to help you out especially since your delivery was delayed a couple of times.

Last edited:
This stipulation makes sense as you can only hope to transfer that which you own...at the moment of transfer. Don't think Tesla wants to be the entity to sort out who owns what; it is fair that we owners carry that responsibility. Let's say your son was someone you sold your car to...with that as a feature as part of the price...and a few days later you manage to transfer it from the new owner's car to your new car; this stipulation prevents that from happening.

There is nothing to fix. The terms are very clear that the donor vehicle has to stay in your account until after you take delivery of the new vehicle and the transfer is completed. (Unless you are trading it in to Tesla, and then you just have to keep it in your account until you take delivery of the new vehicle.)

View attachment 990786

I can't imagine most insurance companies would care about that, so I assume your wife's son was using Tesla insurance?
Yes, he was using Tesla Insurance and they won't even quote until the vehicle is on your own Tesla app.

Sorry to hear this. Sounds like you lost FUSC on the old car because Tesla saw the removal of the Model 3 as basically a "sale" which generally would remove the FUSC anyway for anything but SCO1. Hopefully you can get a hold of someone at Tesla to help you out especially since your delivery was delayed a couple of times.
I had filled out the supercharger transfer paperwork and submitted it weeks before I transferred the car to my wife's son. I missed the stipulation that I still had to own the car with the supercharging until after delivery of the new car. I am recovering from surgery and just didn't see that requirement. I owned the car when I executed the purchase agreement for the new Model Y. That should be enough. And there were no warnings, only "we'll send you next steps" after I submitted the transfer paperwork. But no 'next steps' were ever sent. The obvious one would be "Don't sell your Model 3 before taking delivery of the Model Y". It is a trap set up for people who need the money from their current car to pay for the new one.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I get that it sucks, but it’s literally the first line item under eligibility requirements. As shady and anti consumer as this company can be, I don’t think it’s fair to call this a trap.

Agreed. There are Many things you can reasonably complain about regarding the ordering/purchase experience along with other representations that are made by Tesla. This is not one of them. The language is pretty simple - and logical - in regards to having ownership at time of delivery and transfer.

Reactions: hybridbear
I had filled out the supercharger transfer paperwork and submitted it weeks before I transferred the car to my wife's son. I missed the stipulation that I still had to own the car with the supercharging until after delivery of the new car. I am recovering from surgery and just didn't see that requirement. I owned the car when I executed the purchase agreement for the new Model Y. That should be enough. And there were no warnings, only "we'll send you next steps" after I submitted the transfer paperwork. But no 'next steps' were ever sent. The obvious one would be "Don't sell your Model 3 before taking delivery of the Model Y". It is a trap set up for people who need the money from their current car to pay for the new one.
I get that it sucks and I'd be upset too but it's really not a trap. It does require reading the document fully though that you signed.