Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about the rest of you but the way they are trying to push out and deliver quantity of Y's and 3's by years end....I'm just saying the build quality has some issues when they aren't rushing like this. Can you imagine the defects these vehicles are going to have? Not me. I would rather wait until the first quarter of '21 than take a new vehicle that was produced in a rush to get it out the door (and you KNOW they do this...I had a few issues with my end of 3rd quarter Y and rejected it).

Not sure about the rest of you but the way they are trying to push out and deliver quantity of Y's and 3's by years end....I'm just saying the build quality has some issues when they aren't rushing like this. Can you imagine the defects these vehicles are going to have? Not me. I would rather wait until the first quarter of '21 than take a new vehicle that was produced in a rush to get it out the door (and you KNOW they do this...I had a few issues with my end of 3rd quarter Y and rejected it).
Honestly, I haven't had time to post on it yet but my Y I picked up on the 12th was perfect. I didn't find any issues with it on delivery day and have driven it 300 miles since and not found any issues. At least I don't think I have any. I do have a complaint that the driver side mirror doesn't adjust as far left and up as I normally like, but I'm not yet sure if that's a "problem" or just the limit of how far it goes. Don't know any other local Y owner to compare with yet. But otherwise totally flawless. Not even panel gaps. And they were insanely busy that day. My delivery rep was working with 4 deliveries at once. It was fine because it gave me plenty of time to inspect the car on my own without anyone hovering over me (and apparently one of her deliveries had TONS of questions so she was very happy to have me just inspect, sign, and drive off lol)

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and DanDi58
Honestly, I haven't had time to post on it yet but my Y I picked up on the 12th was perfect. I didn't find any issues with it on delivery day and have driven it 300 miles since and not found any issues. At least I don't think I have any. I do have a complaint that the driver side mirror doesn't adjust as far left and up as I normally like, but I'm not yet sure if that's a "problem" or just the limit of how far it goes. Don't know any other local Y owner to compare with yet. But otherwise totally flawless. Not even panel gaps. And they were insanely busy that day. My delivery rep was working with 4 deliveries at once. It was fine because it gave me plenty of time to inspect the car on my own without anyone hovering over me (and apparently one of her deliveries had TONS of questions so she was very happy to have me just inspect, sign, and drive off lol)

I really think it's pure luck what cars you get. Obviously the build quality has improved a lot but when we were picking up our model Y in september, we saw a few model Ys that must've been rejected because of the issues. I saw them while we were waiting for our car to come out. They actually end up taking more time to prep the car when the delivery advisor found out how picky I was. haha. So to me, it's a roulette and gotta get lucky with the build. As for free supercharging, unless you travel a lot or have to rely on supercharging for some reason, I don't really care for it. I have superchargers less than 5 mins from home and work and only used it 3 times because the free miles were expiring. Now that it doesn't expire until 2023, I won't use those unless I'm travelling..

I really think it's pure luck what cars you get. Obviously the build quality has improved a lot but when we were picking up our model Y in september, we saw a few model Ys that must've been rejected because of the issues. I saw them while we were waiting for our car to come out. They actually end up taking more time to prep the car when the delivery advisor found out how picky I was. haha. So to me, it's a roulette and gotta get lucky with the build. As for free supercharging, unless you travel a lot or have to rely on supercharging for some reason, I don't really care for it. I have superchargers less than 5 mins from home and work and only used it 3 times because the free miles were expiring. Now that it doesn't expire until 2023, I won't use those unless I'm travelling..
Vin number and manufacture date are the biggest factors I think. They are getting better all the time at building them. Not saying a bad one won't come off the line still. But will be less as time goes on. A good SC that checks the cars over and rectifies any minor issues before they hand it to you for delivery is also important of course.

The supercharging miles are nice to have and if they are offering them I want them, but I'm not gonna throw a tantrum and write negative posts or anything if they don't give them to me. I will charge in my apartment parking garage 99% of the time. It's only 6kw but that is just fine for overnight charging and better for the battery. Superchargers are only meant to be used for trips. But, I do plan on making several trips and if I can save $30-$40 on supercharging costs that will be nice. Location makes a big difference in value too. In planning a trip to Philadelphia I noticed that the rates for superchargers up there were WAY higher than the rates for the ones in middle TN. So that makes a difference in how much value you get from the year of free supercharging as well.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn
Now imagine if you live within 5 mins of a supercharger. This unlimited charging would be worth a few grand. Just charge it every few days for commute and get like 15k miles in a year easily.
Actually it would be more like $500, but depends a lot on your electricity cost. Let's say 300 Wh/mile, 15K miles is 4,500 kWh. For me that would be $600 (9c/kWh and $16 per month).

If you're paying 25c (which is likely the highest anywhere in the country except Hawaii) it would be $1125. But you'd better change your electricity plan in that case...

BTW: I had free Chademo charging for a while and actually did that - but it gets really boring as you have to hang around for 30 minutes just waiting for the car to charge every time.

Last edited:
Actually it would be more like $500, but depends a lot on your electricity cost. Let's say 300 Wh/mile, 15K miles is 4,500 kWh. For me that would be $600 (9c/kWh and $16 per month).

If you're paying 25c (which is likely the highest anywhere in the country except Hawaii) it would be $1125. But you'd better change your electricity plan in that case...

BTW: I had free Chademo charging for a while and actually did that - but it gets really boring as you have to hang around for 30 minutes just waiting for the car to charge every time.
With today's technology called cell phone, no one can be bored anywhere for 30 minutes ;p

Reactions: AmbienWalrus
What would that do to your battery though if you purely supercharged? I drive 50k/yr because of my commute
The whole supercharging is detrimental is mostly hype. I know people that exclusively supercharge and have read about taxi fleets that daily supercharge multiple times to 100 percent and then run down to single digits, put hundreds of thousands of miles on and still maintain very high levels of battery capacity. There are also plenty of owners that never supercharge but end up will degraded battery’s. I personally baby all of our Tesla battery’s and wind up trading our cars in with great battery’s with very low miles and have yet to have Tesla even look at the cars battery. Possibly the 3 and Y battery’s are not as good as the bigger S and X battery’s, they don’t warranty them as long, but I think it’s not a big deal to supercharge because of the advanced BMS.

I just took delivery on 12/9. I assume I’m out of luck? Has anyone tried to get it for a delivery a few days prior to 12/12? Thanks
Following... I took delivery on the 11th and have a ton of quality issues I have to get addressed, including more than 15 paint defects, cracked plastic trim, and misaligned steering wheel. Hopefully I can get them to add the supercharging for me as a good will gesture.

Who plans on traveling with COVID?
I'll admit it. Road trip!

Going to a trusted B&B that we've been going to the past five years. Since the Inkeeper is at very high risk for COVID, we know that she's scrupulous about following all precautions, as are we to keep her safe.

My only concern is that things will get so bad here in SoCal, we will have problems returning home because of travel restrictions. Unlikely, but if it looks like that's a possibility before we leave, we abort the mission.