Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fremont Temp Lot Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been checking Gabe's Fremont flyovers paying particular attention to the Temp Lot count, hoping not to see an MSM disappear prior to delivery of my car. Now that I'm picking up my car on Saturday (and it's confirmed at the service center,) today's video gave me final reassurance with respect to my car. So looking beyond my immediate self interest, it makes me wonder what lies ahead for the cars in the temp lot.

In light of reports of the soy lining on electrical wires attracting rodents (that I've seen happen to my neighbor's Ford) seems like the Temp lot cars may not be intended for sale?

I thought someone estimated 450 cars in that lot? Does that mean a $450M write off this quarter?

Really sad to see those cars wasting away in the sun..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210715-165520_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210715-165520_YouTube.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 147
I would still speculate that they could be fleet / marketing vehicles. Once they are fixed with whatever the checklist sheet that was found last week.

What is going to hurt is that if they start moving them around August, people who are taking delivery in August are going to be sweating it. The key here is to ask for the build date of your VIN and make sure the beginning three of the last six digits is higher than 435 or even 436 if you want to really separate yourself.

Why is a car that has been parked outside for a few months undesirable? Most cars spend more than that amount of time in the back lot of a traditional dealership waiting to be sold.
Agree. The entire premise of this thread is high-level pearl clutching, even by Tesla reservation holder standards.

Watching drone flyovers to count certain colored cars to make sure you don’t get a car that’s been (gasp) parked in a private parking lot for a while?

The horror /shudder

Also how did we arrive at the conclusion they’re gonna just scrap these cars? Seriously? 😆

Agree. The entire premise of this thread is high-level pearl clutching, even by Tesla reservation holder standards.

Watching drone flyovers to count certain colored cars to make sure you don’t get a car that’s been (gasp) parked in a private parking lot for a while?

The horror /shudder

Also how did we arrive at the conclusion they’re gonna just scrap these cars? Seriously? 😆

Well there must be something wrong with these cars if they're intended for sale. Why else have they just been sitting for so long?

Well there must be something wrong with these cars if they're intended for sale. Why else have they just been sitting for so long?
I imagine for the same reason literally every manufacturer on earth is piling cars up anywhere they can right now… because they’re missing one or more key components due to supply chain disruption.

Pre-answering the next question “well why are they still sitting if there are new cars rolling off the assembly line right now?”:

I suspect because Tesla wants as many cars out the door as possible at the moment and it’s quicker to install the previously missing component on the assembly line vs. sending out an army of minions to retrofit these cars manually.

Reactions: croman and bmah
I imagine for the same reason literally every manufacturer on earth is piling cars up anywhere they can right now… because they’re missing one or more key components due to supply chain disruption.

Pre-answering the next question “well why are they still sitting if there are new cars rolling off the assembly line right now?”:

I suspect because Tesla wants as many cars out the door as possible at the moment and it’s quicker to install the previously missing component on the assembly line vs. sending out an army of minions to retrofit these cars manually.
Well then why are they delivering newer cars first and letting these ones get older? I wouldn't want one of these.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
$45 Million dollars worth is still significant, no?

If they were totaled but it doesn't look like it.

Well then why are they delivering newer cars first and letting these ones get older? I wouldn't want one of these.

That particular part (ex. white rear seats) hasn't come in yet?
In the early days, when Tesla came out with the Next Generation seats, they didn't have enough rear seats so they delivered them with the old style seats and told customers they would swap them when the parts were in stock.
Instead of creating more work for Service Centers, the Factory is going to wait for the parts before delivering the car?

Cars can sit on dealer lots for months before they are sold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pancake
on a side note: the "visibile from space" label is way overdone these days. Especially when you factor in that spy satellites can literally pick up license plates from space. So almost everything now..is visible. From space. LOL

If they were totaled but it doesn't look like it.

That particular part (ex. white rear seats) hasn't come in yet?
In the early days, when Tesla came out with the Next Generation seats, they didn't have enough rear seats so they delivered them with the old style seats and told customers they would swap them when the parts were in stock.
Instead of creating more work for Service Centers, the Factory is going to wait for the parts before delivering the car?

Cars can sit on dealer lots for months before they are sold.

Pretty much all configs other than 19" wheels have been delivered at this point. Seems like they're delivering newer cars then these ones. I'd just make sure I got a newly built car rather than one of these that's been sitting here for who knows what reason.

I answered this question before you even asked it.

I mean, cool on you for not wanting a car that has had the unimaginably neglectful experience of… sitting outside for some number of weeks.

Were I Tesla, and I attempted to deliver you one of these cars and you rejected it, I’d happily give it to someone else and put you at the very back of the line.

I mean, cool on you for not wanting a car that has had the unimaginably neglectful experience of… sitting outside for some number of weeks.

Were I Tesla, and I attempted to deliver you one of these cars and you rejected it, I’d happily give it to someone else and put you at the very back of the line.

Not hard to install some trim pieces that just snap in. I suspect these cars were potentially produced with hardware before they figured out whatever "battery safety" issue caused the delay.

Teslas soft paint + bird poop + sitting in the sun for months, I wouldn’t mind going to the back of the line.

Reactions: BPeter