Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

French speeding ticket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without naming names someone has had the misfortune to receive a 90 euro French speeding fine for being a tiny bit over a 50kph limit. If not paid it escalates to a crazy 350 euros or so. Has anyone had a similar experience when they get back to the UK. It would be nuts to expect that they would take any enforcement action in the UK but if it is ignored presumably you get into difficulties the next time you travel to France? thanks.

Without naming names someone has had the misfortune to receive a 90 euro French speeding fine for being a tiny bit over a 50kph limit. If not paid it escalates to a crazy 350 euros or so. Has anyone had a similar experience when they get back to the UK. It would be nuts to expect that they would take any enforcement action in the UK but if it is ignored presumably you get into difficulties the next time you travel to France? thanks.
My advice would be to pay up. I was caught doing a 126 kph in a 120 (Which, given the tolerance on a French speed camera is + or - 5 Kph means I was technically done for doing 121!) I paid up. With is still being in the transition period there's nothing to stop the French prosecuting under EU law. Unless you wait until jan and hope Brexit helps you out?

Better to pay. Thinking at no points.. After all you overspending.
On May I was caught on 120kmh zone with 219kmh... paid after 10km.
In Germany caught on 100kmh zone with 121kmh... arrived at home (in Uk) and paid 108euro.
Until Tesla... no speed ticket. Now seem I'm the Colector
For everything else Visa was the Best option

There is a pan European computer system that allows police in one durasdiction to get the details of cars and drivers from other countries for exactly this reason. What they are able to do with the data once they get it I have no idea but they can definitely get it.

• Helpful
Reactions: rEV gadget
Speaking from experience of getting nabbed on the rush back to Calais a few years ago, I can confirm that they didn't chase me up in the UK, but did stop me when I drove off the ferry next time I went over, and I ended up paying a whacking great penalty for not having paid the original fine. The fact that I didn't even know about the original fine (it was a typically French sneaky, hidden, radar trap on the A26) didn't matter, they weren't going to let me back into France until I'd coughed up.

Reactions: ringi
I got caught last year on the way home from a golf weekend at Le Touquet. Nasty surprise in the post a couple of weeks after the event. Still from recollection the fine was 'only' 40 Euro's. Result I thought, no points and not much to pay. Downloaded the App for payment and done and paid in minutes.

I've kept the App on my phone. Well, you never know...;)

• Funny
Reactions: Daverh and Js1977
I got one this summer. Only €46 - 139 in a 130. I did pay but I verified it first by finding the camera on Google street view and then popped onto my TeslaMate install and checked to see if the speed I was going matched what the radar said said at that point. (It did!). Frustratingly I must have been passing some slower traffic as I was going speed limit until about 10 seconds before and back to speed limit 15 seconds after. Oh well!!

I was fined in Verona, Italy, for some traffic contravention in the city (not speeding) in 2015. I didn’t pay, and I still get penalty notices every six months or so. Hate to think what will happen next time I visit Italy . . . .

Because I was in a hire car I had to produce my Passport as proof of ID, and my Passport number was quoted on the ticket. I’ve just got a new Passport, so perhaps that’s a way of escape? Or do they hound you to you your grave?

If correct driver, pay up and be thankful no points. We had to go through a process as I the owner was not the driver at the time. The driver then got the letter within a month. Watch out for new speed cameras around outskirts of Chamonix-Mont-Blanc!