TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Friday shutdown? Speculation

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sandpiper, Mar 29, 2018.

1. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I'm really wondering about this Friday shutdown on the S/X line. They're making the point that they're ahead of target. And that may well be possible. But, that's exactly what would happen if they were undertaking a minor re-tooling.

Combine that with the few new bits and bobs that have popped out - new visor, new MCU - and I wonder if we're seeing the long anticipated interior upgrade.

The bit about transferring a few workers to the 3 line might be a bit of a smoke screen.

I hope so.. The day that it's announced, my order goes in.

2. MasterT

MasterT Member

From what I read, it's Model 3 related - they moved workers to Model 3 assembly

3. Red5StandingBy

Teslarati posted an update on their original story stating that a Tesla representative told them that the shutdown was for Friday only and not related to Model 3. So who knows??

4. Brettski

Brettski Supporting Member

#4 Brettski, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Much as I'd appreciate an interior refresh (because I have a Model S order for May production!) I have come to think Tesla would be foolish to focus on anything that takes away from meeting Model 3 production. Their stock performance and failure to meet production targets is currently headline news.Also, considering the two days of shut down come right before the end of the quarter, it sound like a final squeeze. I'm not a finance guy, but I know enough to know that this is a critical time for Tesla.

• Like x 1
  5. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Seems an obvious ploy to crank out as many 3’s as possible on the last day of the quarter so they can say in their earnings call “look we achieved a rate equivalent 2500 cars a week!*”

*for one day, with a bunch of extra people on hand doing stuff manually

• Funny x 1
  6. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

I seriously doubt model 3 production would benefit from having model S/X workers on the line for 1 day. The stand down is really related to the new Mr Fusion option I’ve been reading about.

• Funny x 4
  7. cpa

cpa Active Member

It is Good Friday, after all. And the markets are closed too.

8. David.85D

David.85D Active Member

That would get me to upgrade!

9. Lukez

Lukez Member

How dare they take a day off for a holiday!