Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Panamera Twin Turbo to Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw your post, which made me want to call my DS instinctively. I asked about this exact config and was denied. I tried to replicate what you saw, but as soon as I uncheck the air suspension, the Plus package is removed as well. So I don't think there's been any change: + still requires the 21"s and air.

I happened to be at the factory when I saw this. We tried to replicated it online and couldn't. Unchecking air removes the plus entirely. Staff hadn't heard about any changes.

Also came from a Panamera and love my Model S.

My comments are about the one option you haven't put on your list - the choice between the S85 and P85+

My heads-up to anyone making the transition from a Panamera to a Model S is:
If you spend most of your time on freeways or relatively straight roads you'll never miss your Panamera.

However, and this is a big however, if a significant percentage of your driving (or the part that you enjoyed in the Panamera) is on twisty roads - you are going to regret not having the P85+.
There's no getting around that while the Tesla is better in most respects, the Panamera has a much better suspension than the standard S or P.

The Panamera is glued to the road on taking curves at high-speed. The P floats and recovers poorly.

I had a P85+ loaner for four days, ran it on the same curvy roads, and it's much, much closer to the Panamera in handling.
Knowing what I know now, if the P85+ had been available when I ordered my car (2012) I definitely would have ordered the + (even with all the downsides of the 21" tires.)

Agreed, I actually hope they offer the 'plus" without the need for the 'P'...the S85 with the plus suspension would be terrific, even without the 21st to get 80% of the 'plus'....

dratifk,

I just wanted to comment on the sub-zero package because it doesn't look like a lot of people did.

I think you should get it -- for a couple reasons:

1) the windshield washer jets could potentially freeze as they are sitting in the frunk (which doesn't have a big hot engine as ICE cars do to keep them warm)
2) the bottom of the windshield could get ice buildup and again without the big ICE engine to warm the windshield, it may be hard to get rid of (easy when it heats up in the SZ package)
3) you'll find yourself using the seat warmers + a lower cabin temp to conserve power in winter, so having rear seat warmers will be welcome to your rear passengers

Just my two cents. :)

- Rob
This is coming from a non-Northerner so take what I say w/ a grain of salt. The ability to pre-heat the car before driving even inside a closed garage is epic and IMO obviates the need for seat heaters. I still thikn you should get the cold weather package for the heated nozzles and wipers but once you're in the habit of pre-heating (or cooling in the summer) it will change your life :)

We love our pano roof, even though we hardly ever open it. It lets so much light in it makes the cabin feel very airy, open, and happy. Also our kids like to be able to look up at the sky from their car seats. If you do get the pano roof I would definitely not get the alcantara as there is very little of it w/ pano. If you're not getting the pano roof I would consider it as it will be a huge expanse of fabric and I think the alcantara looks nicer.

I would second lolachampcar's reco and not get the air suspension and put that towards fog lamps and your charging circuit install. I don't think the audio upgrade is worth it unless you really care about audio. And even then some would say you'll want an aftermarket system. I think the standard audio is just fine for most people.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Thank you everyone. I just updated my order to Pano Roof. Sub zero is only $750. What do you guys think about interior lightening at $1000 and fog lights at $500? Also I'm looking at a used 2013 P85 pretty well loaded for not much more than what my s85 order is coming to. But its used with 10K miles (purchase price was $115K I can have it for 90K)

What do you guys think about interior lightening at $1000 and fog lights at $500?

The fog lights are pretty useless (just like in every other car) because in most jurisdictions you also have to have the low beams on as well. The interior lighting really gives a "wow" factor at night and is convenient, but is something to skip if you're on a budget.

Thank you everyone. I just updated my order to Pano Roof. Sub zero is only $750. What do you guys think about interior lightening at $1000 and fog lights at $500? Also I'm looking at a used 2013 P85 pretty well loaded for not much more than what my s85 order is coming to. But its used with 10K miles (purchase price was $115K I can have it for 90K)
I think the interior lighting is not worth it but like the fog lights.

10K miles is nothing although it will probably need a set of tires (~$1,400 for Continentals) so factor that in. Also it probably won't have the parking sensors as I think those are new. If you like the color and options that's an attractive price.

I think the interior lighting is not worth it but like the fog lights.

10K miles is nothing although it will probably need a set of tires (~$1,400 for Continentals) so factor that in. Also it probably won't have the parking sensors as I think those are new. If you like the color and options that's an attractive price.

I have till Nov 15 to finalize my order so going to see the Used P85 on Sat. Whats hard is that for someone who says one option is great another states it isn't. I know I have to decide for myself but I don't have a local dealer here and without seeing what a certain option is or does its hard to decide. I appreciate the input though

Time for a trip to Florida..... I know where we can find a S and a P+ right away and, if you make it here by one tomorrow, there should be another four or five more cars with different options at our lunch get together.:)

Kidding aside, do you have any locals you can sit down and talk with?

Also I'm looking at a used 2013 P85 pretty well loaded for not much more than what my s85 order is coming to. But its used with 10K miles (purchase price was $115K I can have it for 90K)
My loose recollection is that the Panamera is a fairly new line, and as such I get the impression you don't tend to keep cars more than 5 years.

If you plan to keep your S more than 10 years, then you'll probably want a shiny fresh new one made exactly how you think you want it at the time you buy.

If you plan to let it go and get something else (maybe a Tesla Gen 3) in a few years, the $90K P85 sounds like a better option for you. You get the spunk when you want it (P85), just not the "hug the road cornering" (nor the pricetag) of a +.

Had my P85+ in for some punch list items on Nov 5. Watertown, MA SC loaned me a P85. A nice, sweet, seemingly well-maintained P85.

I really can't remember my test drive -- was it in P85 or P85+? It was just so awesome, details are drowned out. Well... when I purchased the +, it was all about the midlife crisis. I'm an ordinary driver. I've had an enjoyed an Audi A4 Quattro 3.2. Great car, lotta fun. But an @lolachampcar, I'm not. I figured I'd get a friend to take me out onto a track at some point and show me the car's true abilities. But I also figured that I was just gonna go for max fun, no limits on the purchase options, just get everything. My + was delivered on August 7, and I have loved this car to death ever since. Wow, wow, wow!

So Tuesday was my first opportunity for an extended drive in the P85. Based on everything I have read, I figured, should be just as much fun as the P85+. Maybe a little slower off the mark, what with the winter tires instead of the fancy 21s. Maybe a little software-limited velocity (ick). What could *I* possibly do that would ever show off the handling differences between a P85 and a P85+? Me, a little non-professional, ordinary driver?

Oh.

My.

GAWD!!!!!!!!

The P85 is no shabby beast, and I'd happily have that car in my garage compared to anything else I'd been looking at in the last year. Especially with the electric motor, the instant torque, the zero emissions, all the other many wonderful things about the Model S.

But HOLY JEEPERS CREEPERS do I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the handling of the +!!!

Now I understand what people are talking about when they say that the + goes where you point it. Or that the + holds corners so nicely. Or accelerates without any fuss.

The P85 is a great car, but you're gonna hafta take more care with it when you motor through the curves. The first thing I noticed was that even in straight-line acceleration, with traction control, the P85's rear end is loose. I managed to create a nice shimmy without even flooring it. I came back and asked the Service Manager about all this, and asked him whether I was really seeing what I thought I was seeing, and he just smiled and said, "yup".

I am still fantasizing about giving this car to the wife and getting another Model S -- just on safety grounds alone, I'd rather she be in a Model S. I was thinking that I could get myself a P85 and be happy. (By the way, I haven't figured out exactly how I'm paying for the next one, so this may just bubble along as a fantasy for another year.) But now there is NO WAY IN HECK I am going to be happy getting a P85 instead of a P85+.

Alan

P.S. I can only imagine how speeds above 80 (for the sake of argument, not saying that I ever got the loaner anywhere near that software limit) and/or pushing the car on a test track would magnify the apparent handling differences between the two models.

P.P.S. Forgive me, I think I'm going to copy this text and post it in a new thread to solicit some feedback. I don't mean to annoy anyone with double-posting / cross-posting.

P.P.P.S. I got no problem with used versus new. Get a used P85+ if you can!

Had my P85+ in for some punch list items on Nov 5. Watertown, MA SC loaned me a P85. A nice, sweet, seemingly well-maintained P85.

I really can't remember my test drive -- was it in P85 or P85+? It was just so awesome, details are drowned out. Well... when I purchased the +, it was all about the midlife crisis. I'm an ordinary driver. I've had an enjoyed an Audi A4 Quattro 3.2. Great car, lotta fun. But an @lolachampcar, I'm not. I figured I'd get a friend to take me out onto a track at some point and show me the car's true abilities. But I also figured that I was just gonna go for max fun, no limits on the purchase options, just get everything. My + was delivered on August 7, and I have loved this car to death ever since. Wow, wow, wow!

So Tuesday was my first opportunity for an extended drive in the P85. Based on everything I have read, I figured, should be just as much fun as the P85+. Maybe a little slower off the mark, what with the winter tires instead of the fancy 21s. Maybe a little software-limited velocity (ick). What could *I* possibly do that would ever show off the handling differences between a P85 and a P85+? Me, a little non-professional, ordinary driver?

Oh.

My.

GAWD!!!!!!!!

The P85 is no shabby beast, and I'd happily have that car in my garage compared to anything else I'd been looking at in the last year. Especially with the electric motor, the instant torque, the zero emissions, all the other many wonderful things about the Model S.

But HOLY JEEPERS CREEPERS do I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the handling of the +!!!

Now I understand what people are talking about when they say that the + goes where you point it. Or that the + holds corners so nicely. Or accelerates without any fuss.

The P85 is a great car, but you're gonna hafta take more care with it when you motor through the curves. The first thing I noticed was that even in straight-line acceleration, with traction control, the P85's rear end is loose. I managed to create a nice shimmy without even flooring it. I came back and asked the Service Manager about all this, and asked him whether I was really seeing what I thought I was seeing, and he just smiled and said, "yup".

I am still fantasizing about giving this car to the wife and getting another Model S -- just on safety grounds alone, I'd rather she be in a Model S. I was thinking that I could get myself a P85 and be happy. (By the way, I haven't figured out exactly how I'm paying for the next one, so this may just bubble along as a fantasy for another year.) But now there is NO WAY IN HECK I am going to be happy getting a P85 instead of a P85+.

Alan

P.S. I can only imagine how speeds above 80 (for the sake of argument, not saying that I ever got the loaner anywhere near that software limit) and/or pushing the car on a test track would magnify the apparent handling differences between the two models.

P.P.S. Forgive me, I think I'm going to copy this text and post it in a new thread to solicit some feedback. I don't mean to annoy anyone with double-posting / cross-posting.

P.P.P.S. I got no problem with used versus new. Get a used P85+ if you can!

What a glowing review of the +. Yeah, it's that good.

We are actually family with both a Panamera (V6 without air suspension not twin turbo) and P85 (before the plus came out with the required air suspension). Since we're usually driving around with an infant in the back, we don't push the handling limits of the Panamera or the Model S. While the Model S is now our primary daily driver, we miss the handling and planted feel of the Panamera. Recently, we got a P85+ loaner, and have to say that the handling and feel is actually much, much, much close to the Panamera than I ever would have thought. In fact, it's so much closer to the Panamera in feel that I'm seriously considering the price quoted for a retrofit (we've modified the car so much, that's trading in wouldn't make sense). Convincing my wife, on the other hand...

I'd say that if you bought the Panamera Turbo as much for the feel and handling as much as for its speed, you want to consider the P+ as an option. While we don't need the acceleration of the P, the confidence from a well-planted feeling that the P+ has would be something we would appreciate on every drive. It's up to you if that feeling is valuable enough to go performance plus, but with the staggered 21" wheels, you'd probably need a spare set of 19s for winter weather and tires.

I'm coming from a Panamera TT and just put in my order for a Tesla with the following config:

Model S 85 72,400
Blue Metallic Paint 750
All Glass Panormaic Roof 2500
19” Wheels
Black Nappa Leather 1500
Obeche Wood 650
Supercharger
Tech Package 3750
Smart Suspension 2250
Parking Sensor 500
Subzero weather package 750
19” Michelin Primacy

I realize I'm going from a performance car to a non performance however I'm doing this on purpose as I never really ever fully pushed the Panamera to its limits. I was hoping to get some suggestions in configuration . First I was going sans the Panoramic Roof but doing alacantra. Now I'm think Pano Roof and go without Alacantra. What do you guys think?
Entirely a matter of taste. I got neither. I'm allergic to alcantara and don't like the look. Such things are matters of taste.

If you like sunroofs or expect tall people to sit in the back seat, get the pano roof -- it creates more headroom. My fiancee is photosensitive and wanted to minimize the light coming into the car.

If you never use the sunroof and don't have tall people in the back seat, don't bother with the pano roof or the alcantara. The regular headliner is a tight weave, doesn't bleed much, looks fine to me.

Also is the Subzero worth it as I live in Upstate NY?
Yes, get the Subzero, DEFINITELY. I have been trying to get Tesla to offer it as a retrofit to mine and I would pay thousands of dollars for it (it wasn't available when I ordered my car).

You will also want to buy a set of winter tires. Given the low low prices for mounting tires in upstate NY (here in Ithaca I paid $80 for changing to a set of unmounted tires versus $30 for changing to a set of mounted tires, so that's a total of $100 per year to swap...), it is likely to not actually be worth it to get a set of wheels just for the tires.

I would get twin chargers because a bunch of Sun Country 90-amp charging stations are going in around here. By contrast Tesla's Superchargers might arrive... someday.... Anyway, Tesla has seriously price-gouged on the twin chargers recently: you have to get the "High Powered Home Charging" package, which comes with the expensive High Powered Wall Connector along with them, which you don't need at all. But I'd probably get the package anyway, and complain to Tesla about the price-gouging on the bundle. It is pricey though.

You neither need nor want "Performance". Don't get it.

Get the fog lamps. Well, if you ever drive in the parts of upstate NY *I* drive in, get the fog lamps.

Apart from that, seems like a decent configuration to me.

---
The air suspension is debatable. I got it so I could raise it on dirt roads and grass parking lots. If that's not important to you and you are more interested in tight handling on good roads, rather than smoothness on terrible roads, get the coil suspension.

We are actually family with both a Panamera (V6 without air suspension not twin turbo) and P85 (before the plus came out with the required air suspension). Since we're usually driving around with an infant in the back, we don't push the handling limits of the Panamera or the Model S. While the Model S is now our primary daily driver, we miss the handling and planted feel of the Panamera. Recently, we got a P85+ loaner, and have to say that the handling and feel is actually much, much, much close to the Panamera than I ever would have thought. In fact, it's so much closer to the Panamera in feel that I'm seriously considering the price quoted for a retrofit (we've modified the car so much, that's trading in wouldn't make sense). Convincing my wife, on the other hand...

I'd say that if you bought the Panamera Turbo as much for the feel and handling as much as for its speed, you want to consider the P+ as an option. While we don't need the acceleration of the P, the confidence from a well-planted feeling that the P+ has would be something we would appreciate on every drive. It's up to you if that feeling is valuable enough to go performance plus, but with the staggered 21" wheels, you'd probably need a spare set of 19s for winter weather and tires.

Ah HA! I've been confidently declaring that there aren't many sports cars out there with air suspension, but then I saw your post. The Porsche Panamera GTS has air suspension (probably provided by Continental, so same supplier as Tesla). Given this, the speed, utility, and price point, the Panamera is clearly the most comparable.