TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front Bumper Upgrade Offered

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Pinarello, May 9, 2016.

1. Pinarello

Pinarello Member

I came across a vendor offering an upgrade to the Model S front bumper that looks very similar to the redesigned Model S front bumper. I'm wondering how many people would be interested in such an upgrade at a $3,450 plus shipping. Looks nice to me, but can't tell from the photos how the sensors and radar appear. Also don't know anything about the manufacturer or the quality of the build.

This is from a UK company but appears to be offered to owners in the US.
    http://www.teslafacelift.uk/

Thoughts?

2. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Most times aftermarket stuff looks like crap... this however... looks pretty nice :)

3. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

Mostly because those are renders, not photos, which don't include lots of the practical stuff like the parking sensors or front radar.

4. mdevp

mdevp Member

I think I like the retrofit bumper better than the actual new OEM bumper, but are they much different or am I getting faked out? It seems the non-OEM is a little more aerodynamic: retrofit vs OEM. (I used Lloyds pics from another thread)[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

How about this one?

[​IMG]

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 1
  6. Joules Verne

Joules Verne Member

I think they are all improvements over the nose cone.

That Saleen one could have been great if they got the alignment right with the front bumper and hood. Unfortunately they botched the lines.

• Like x 1
  7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Agree. Botched the fluidity of the design -- too many lines going too many places.

BTW, just placed a deposit for the facelift, but won't have it until August.

• Like x 1
  8. Roent

Roent New Member

When a facelift is in place, how does one have access to the battery terminals?

9. mdevp

mdevp Member

Nice that someone is getting this, eager to see it. How does this process work? Do they ship the bumper from the UK and you have a 3rd party install or do they have a shop here? And is it 3k for the bumper and additional install cost?

10. Roent

Roent New Member

According to their advertisement, the front bumper is sold for $3,450.00 and the shipping cost is in addition. They will ship the front bumper to a "qualified body repair shop" of your choosing. This is advised as not a DIY installation. What the qualified body repair shop charges for installation is your negotiation and your expense.

11. Pinarello

Pinarello Member

They said the installation time would be about 4 hours of labor. That shouldn't be too expensive.

12. mdevp

mdevp Member

So I guess it's already paint matched. I always worry about whether the paint matches perfectly on a ~2yr old MS. I've seen white cars have rear bumpers that look off color.

13. cdf3

cdf3 Member

I'd like to know this as well.

14. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

We also need access to the front towing hook.

15. ShadowyS

ShadowyS Member

Where is the towing hook located on the refresh?

16. drewfaulk

drewfaulk Member

Hey, artsi: the Facelift has been reduced to $2,500, and the deposit reduced to $500. I thought you'd want to know so you could reach out to them to be sure you weren't charged the higher price. I just took the plunge as well.

• Like x 1
  17. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

#17 FlatSix911, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    This is good news ... I am much more likely to purchase at this price.

upload_2016-5-17_17-13-53.png

18. DillyBop

DillyBop Member

let's say i take a hammer to my current front bumper. go to a body shop. DON'T involve insurance companies. just say "please replace" and pay cash for it.

would the body shop get the new bumper from Tesla? why don't we do that?

19. drewfaulk

drewfaulk Member

From what I understand, and this is by no means definitive, the new Tesla bumper wouldn't be a direct replacement. The Frunk trim pieces and hood are different, and likely other items we don't yet know about. However, I'd bet at Tesla prices, you'd be around $2,500 after paint anyways (not including the different/extra pieces you would need to make it work). I could be wrong about this, but I think the consensus is that the new bumper will not retrofit without changing a lot of other items as well.