Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lack of a grill is what seems to throw people (me included) off a bit. My whole life I have stared at cars with grills. Boring ones, cool ones, classic ones, etc. When I see the Model 3 front end I like it, because I understand why they likely did it.. reduce drag, increase range. I'm in.

Exactly. The nose is different. But it's different for a good reason. It's a good part of the reason why this car will get a minimum 215 miles per charge. Just as you say, everyone's used to seeing cars with grills. That's all this is. Why do you have this big grill on the front of a car that's a pain to keep clean and kills aerodynamics? Only to keep a crappy inefficient ICE engine from melting itself.

It's just a relic of bygone technology. The only reason some here want a grill is because that's what they're used to.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Pug_portrait.jpg
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking too. But I really do like pugs, so that's a plus.

Why continue with a vestigal appendix that serves no purpose? It's time to get people past the point of thinking that cars "need" grilles. I agree it does look a little different, but I applaud Tesla's boldness.
Agreed, but we do want this car to go mainstream and that front end is anything but mainstream. I guess it's really the push and pull between wanting to be different from the crowd, but also wanting the crowd to join you for the betterment of the world.

Reactions: GSP and Charles847
I started this thread because I'm seeing some posts and tweets that aren't raving. I can't say I hate it, but when I first saw it I didn't know what to think. I still don't know. It's not a deal breaker for me, I still want one when they are CPO's in 5-6 years. But, I'm a little, just a little, disappointed.
Just slap some vinyl wrap on it or something (quick and bad PS job, but hopefully you get the idea):
LgTr9NW.jpg

Agreed, but we do want this car to go mainstream and that front end is anything but mainstream. I guess it's really the push and pull between wanting to be different from the crowd, but also wanting the crowd to join you for the betterment of the world.

I know the iPhone analogies have been used ad nauseum, but think of when the first-generation iPhone was unveiled. It was far from "mainstream" now nearly every mobile phone looks like a variation of it.

Reactions: GSP and bigbear