Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1
I even like de clean style of the interior.

I completely agree. That large central display becomes the single point for attention in this design, and it's almost as if the entirety of the rest of the interior design of the car is subjugated to that central display. I very much appreciate the minimalist design ethos here, especially the clean, unobtrusive lines.

To be fair, grills really aren't that necessary on vehicles today. The car cools just fine with the lower air intakes as evidenced in numerous production cars, namely Porsche. Tesla has these same intakes for cooling.

So what's the big deal? Why does everybody seem to think grill = ICE? Isn't it quite obvious that it's used as a style element these days that just so happens to provide a useful function? Like a bonus of sorts. Another bonus is that people like the way it looks. They like cars to have faces and personalities, probably because the drivers have those same things! Sure, you can make the argument that we're conditioned to like grills, but it doesn't detract from the fact that it's a stylistic choice and helps separate from other cars. The way I see it, going grill-less is more of a gimmick that screams "I AM ELECTRIC AND DIFFERENT LOOK AT ME"

You could slap an engine in the 3 and it would likely perform just fine. I guess I don't understand the rabid fanaticism with getting rid of everything on the front entirely. If that's the case, you all should be pushing to remove the bottom intakes as well.

• Love
Reactions: AnOutsider
New old s.gif

A smoother rounder front end would actually be much better for the aerodynamics (Porsche I know). Yes its a little boring but in general that is the direction they should take in order to optimize for range.

Attachments

• tesla-model-3-elon-musk-most-popular-electric-car (1).jpg
    tesla-model-3-elon-musk-most-popular-electric-car (1).jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 51
A smoother rounder front end would actually be much better for the aerodynamics (Porsche I know). Yes its a little boring but in general that is the direction they should take in order to optimize for range.
When I first saw this photoshop version, I thought I preferred it. But actually, it makes the car too plain. It just looks like another mid-90's sports car.
1994_mitsubishi_3000gt_2dr-hatchback_sl_fq_oem_1_500.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

The original front-end has really grown on me in this short amount of time. I much prefer it over people's various photoshopped attempts at improving it. And given the incredibly low CD that Tesla has been stating, it obviously is just fine aerodynamically.

I saw this article on Electrek earlier, and this quote came to mind when I read your post:

A more wedged front end, such as used by rear-engined Porsches, might well be more desirable aerodynamically, but Tesla could be using the grille shape with its rounded edges to control the air flow over the top or round the sides of the car.​

Reactions: Fred Thompson