Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front half shaft replacement instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I called them, and Tesla already replaced the half shaft components but said that the wheel hub is making low subtle sound at speed and that my alignment is not true.

So they want to replace the wheel hub, as well as items that needed to correct alignment.

Asked if these things are related/caused by the half shalf... Tesla rep said he will get more info from the tech for me. As far as pricing goes, I wanted to at least (1) deduct the cost of the half shaft and diagnostic fees (2) whether I can still drive with the hub noise, which is very low and not noticeable until I get funds .

That's about it. Over all everyone was very nice and answered/forwarded my questiojs to the right persons
New axels hubs and aft links. Sounds like it CV joints were shot. Not sure what happened that required hubs to be replaced. Didn’t get the TSB shudder fix pricing.

If you are smart enough to know which end of the wrench to point at the car, you can replace the hubs yourself. They aren't complicated OR difficult on these, and are VERY clean compared to gas vehicles or Jeeps I've worked on. It's not much more than taking the brakes off for a brake job, and then one 36mm nut for the axle and 4 (IIRC) 18mm bolts for the hub.

The CVs are part of the half shafts, that is the whole point of the repair. The hubs are just a carrier bearing in the knuckle behind the wheel, that's what carries the axle to the wheel and keeps the tire on. I've replaced the hubs on my cars b/c after 100k miles it seems like a cheap insurance to good operation, and they are not serviceable / greaseable.

@unfaix - they definitely are NOT properly billing according to the instructions in the half shaft TSB - there were NO parts costs on my invoice, and certainly not $500 each for the shafts plus the extra bits! The $319 looks correct, that was ALL that was supposed to be charged for that. So definitely keep pushing on that side. Give them my invoice and tell them to try again.

Reactions: njhtran
If you are smart enough to know which end of the wrench to point at the car, you can replace the hubs yourself. They aren't complicated OR difficult on these, and are VERY clean compared to gas vehicles or Jeeps I've worked on. It's not much more than taking the brakes off for a brake job, and then one 36mm nut for the axle and 4 (IIRC) 18mm bolts for the hub.

The CVs are part of the half shafts, that is the whole point of the repair. The hubs are just a carrier bearing in the knuckle behind the wheel, that's what carries the axle to the wheel and keeps the tire on. I've replaced the hubs on my cars b/c after 100k miles it seems like a cheap insurance to good operation, and they are not serviceable / greaseable.

@unfaix - they definitely are NOT properly billing according to the instructions in the half shaft TSB - there were NO parts costs on my invoice, and certainly not $500 each for the shafts plus the extra bits! The $319 looks correct, that was ALL that was supposed to be charged for that. So definitely keep pushing on that side. Give them my invoice and tell them to try again.
Thanks reply Geordi,

Tesla got back with me and said the could not use the TSB for my replacement beccause the TSB had already been used once for my car, so it had to be full price. Has anyone gotten multiple replacement under the TSB or is it a one time deal ?

I've been going back and fourth with them and they were able to take off the initial diagnostic fee as they already knew what was wrong from my description.

I know they have to make money and workers need to get paid, but it felt like this should should have been charged at a lowered price. since none of my ICE cars needed axel and hub replacement so far, and theyre 120k miles.

If anything, I'll just replace my hub at home, and take it to an alignment shop.

Thanks all

I would question them again on that - this isn't your choice and wasn't your choice, the TSB has been updated as the parts have changed. It NOW uses supposedly new components that are to fix this design flaw. How was that your choice not to use better components last time? If they didn't use the better design last time, then did they actually follow the TSB - or is Tesla hiding behind not changing the TSB number even as they have altered the procedure AND changed the dates on the TSB paperwork?

They tried something similar on me, and backed off when I hit them with these questions that they clearly would not be capable of answering without lying to me - and they knew it.

Reactions: njhtran
I tried pretty hard to get the TSB done for $350. The runaround they gave me was nuts, and eventually just refused to do it for $350. I had to pay the full $1,800 or so.

At first, they didn't know about the TSB. Once I sent them the info on it, they looked into it and told me that the $350 only applied if it was under warranty. I said that makes no sense. If it was under warranty, it'd be fixed for free. They seemed to agree and they went back to research it again. They had their senior tech reach out to me and tell me the $350 only applies if someone had already paid the $1,800 (out of warranty) once, then if it needed to be fixed again, they'd do it for $350.

All of their answers felt completely dubious. I have attached the messages from the service appointment.

I asked for the Tesla documentation showing what they were telling me, but they said they couldn't show me. Again, the attached messages show most of it and I tried to put in there what was discussed on the phone, though some of the messages skip a bit between phone calls.

Attachments

• tesla1.png
    tesla1.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 53
  • tesla2.png
    tesla2.png
    154 KB · Views: 31
  • tesla3.png
    tesla3.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 27
  • tesla4.png
    tesla4.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 40
Holy sheeit... I hope you didn't pay them $1800, b/c that was a COMPLETE effing lie.

What I was told was the exact opposite: That the $350 was the first time, then if it fails again (even with THEIR supposed new design parts) then I'd have to pay the full price - and that I was ONLY getting the $350 b/c the TSB hadn't been done before.

I'd RUN to another service center, and after it is fixed, ask for the service center district manager's contact info and light his arse up about the abuse and lies they are feeding you. This crap needs to stop.

I went ahead and paid it since they wouldn't do it otherwise and traveling to another service center would have been a huge amount of additional time. I just kept the documentation where they told me if it fails again, the TSB price would kick in and I wouldn't have to pay the full amount again.

I really feel like they either mis-interpreted the TSP billing notes or outright lied. Either option is bad, but it is what it is. All I can do is pass along the information to show what the service center told me and stuck with.

The chances of it resulting in a refund are slim... But I'd still try to loop in the regional supervisor and make them aware of what this service center did to you. They did BOTH misinterpreting the information AND lied to you.... Which sadly is not uncommon AT ALL with this company. I can count on one hand the number of times I have NOT been lied to by a service center person - and have several fingers left over. I don't know if this is an intentional corporate culture or if it is just outright incompetence by management.... But it is too pervasive to be an accident.

So, long story short...my estimates was confirm lowered as they did not have to replace the hub, but states that it was my right rear tire was worn out and need to be replaced....so the total was ~2600 because they charged 380 for a rear tire.

Here's the kicker, after I got it back it ran smoothly no clacking noise but there's rubbing sound as I make a full right or left turn... like something is rubbing against the wheel well... I checked and my front tires are now 275/45R20 instead of 265/45R20 for fronts.

SO now all four of my tires are 275/45R20.... I know i did not buy 275s for the front since a month prior i got two new OEM 265/45R20 from Discount Tire...

Not sure what to make of, but why changed all of my tires ...?

So, long story short...my estimates was confirm lowered as they did not have to replace the hub, but states that it was my right rear tire was worn out and need to be replaced....so the total was ~2600 because they charged 380 for a rear tire.

Here's the kicker, after I got it back it ran smoothly no clacking noise but there's rubbing sound as I make a full right or left turn... like something is rubbing against the wheel well... I checked and my front tires are now 275/45R20 instead of 265/45R20 for fronts.

SO now all four of my tires are 275/45R20.... I know i did not buy 275s for the front since a month prior i got two new OEM 265/45R20 from Discount Tire...

Not sure what to make of, but why changed all of my tires ...?
My point is that...
1. I could have saved 380 on a tire if I got it from Discount Tires, plus,
2. They charged for 1 tires yet replaced all four tires...
3. Now I DO NOT have warranty from Discount Tire for my 1 month old tires....
4. Front tire rub when turning now....so I can assume that it's going to wear the side wall like butter.
5. Felt like they pulled a fast one on me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231208_204213_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231208_204213_Drive.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 41
I tried pretty hard to get the TSB done for $350. The runaround they gave me was nuts, and eventually just refused to do it for $350. I had to pay the full $1,800 or so.

At first, they didn't know about the TSB. Once I sent them the info on it, they looked into it and told me that the $350 only applied if it was under warranty. I said that makes no sense. If it was under warranty, it'd be fixed for free. They seemed to agree and they went back to research it again. They had their senior tech reach out to me and tell me the $350 only applies if someone had already paid the $1,800 (out of warranty) once, then if it needed to be fixed again, they'd do it for $350.

All of their answers felt completely dubious. I have attached the messages from the service appointment.

I asked for the Tesla documentation showing what they were telling me, but they said they couldn't show me. Again, the attached messages show most of it and I tried to put in there what was discussed on the phone, though some of the messages skip a bit between phone calls.
Crazy that you've had that experience also...Mine initially said that it'll be 350 for the TSB.
Then they changed it to 1800 because the half shad had already been replaced once under the TSB and they couldnt apply the TSB again...
Then it jumped to 3500 to replace the hub, but it turns out it was my right rear tire had worn out so it needed to be replaced.
But instead of replacing only the affected tire, they replaced the right rear and two front tires, with the same size as the rear.
Tesla state 265 fron, 275 rear. - https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modelx/en_us/GUID-FDDB10EF-FFA9-46EB-B8CC-03614AE92B6B.html

This also probably voided my warranty for my two front tire that i got from Discount Tires a month before, becuase it isnt the same tire now...

Front is rubbing on the wheel well or something now everytime i make left or right turn...

My point is that...
1. I could have saved 380 on a tire if I got it from Discount Tires, plus,
2. They charged for 1 tires yet replaced all four tires...
3. Now I DO NOT have warranty from Discount Tire for my 1 month old tires....
4. Front tire rub when turning now....so I can assume that it's going to wear the side wall like butter.
5. Felt like they pulled a fast one on me
ya 275 front will definitely rub. there's no margin for error, i speak from experience. just have them change it back out.

$5 says they already "disposed" of your other tires, and someone took them home instead. There is some shady shady things going on at that service center. Nobody swaps out 4 tires for the fun of it, and without the documentation, that's super shady.

This thread helped me a lot, so I figured registering and sharing my experience was only fitting.

Worked for me (mostly).

I had to go back and forth through chat, but that was expected. Once at the service center and after the test drive, they didn't bring up the issue once. The tech that rode with me during the test drive immediately picked up the vibration/noise and passed that info, acknowledging that it was the half shafts.

They initially wanted $2K for the service, but in the end, it was $603, $225 of that being an hour of labor. I inquired about that charge, and they said it was to diagnose before and after. I could have pushed to get that charge dropped, but I didn't want to get too assertive and ultimately accepted because people I understand need to get paid/whatever, and I needed that service more than they could afford by not making an extra $225 on that day.

Thanks to everyone who shared their invoices; hopefully, mine will help more people.

Conversation:

service_chat.png

Original estimate:

estimate-1.jpg

estimate-2.jpg

Final invoice:

invoice-1.jpg

invoice-2.jpg

invoice-3.jpg

Attachments

• estimate-3.jpg
    estimate-3.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 30
That "hour" of diagnosis is just an added profit line by that service center, and is NOT in accordance with the TSB directions, nor is it appropriate "because people need to get paid" as they are being paid by the company for hourly labor - they do not make any more money for that 2 minute test ride and 58 minutes of working on someone else's vehicle. The service center was incorrect in applying that. The manager of the service center should have done better training for the underlings if it is still the gentleman I met at that location who had been sent from Denver to increase the quality for the region.