Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked a police officer in Utah about it and he said they might give you a fix-it ticket for not having a front plate if they have you pulled over for a more serious infraction, but they usually don't do anything about it. They're getting rid of the yearly safety inspection requirement here next year, so fingers crossed my car arrives without the front bracket installed.

How hard is it to put the original plate holder back on (without drilling new holes) if I remove it? I imagine double-sided foam tape would work instead of the glue they use at the factory?
The original plate holder comes with double sided tape, not glue. It is 3M VHB or something similar, which is far superior not only in strength to regular foam tape but also more durable. Regular foam tape I wouldn't trust for very long.

Reactions: rnortman
I asked a police officer in Utah about it and he said they might give you a fix-it ticket for not having a front plate if they have you pulled over for a more serious infraction, but they usually don't do anything about it. They're getting rid of the yearly safety inspection requirement here next year, so fingers crossed my car arrives without the front bracket installed.
I can pretty much guarantee it won't come installed from the factory. All cars being delivered up to this point have been that way. It is possible that service centers may install them in states that require them, so might want to reach out to them before your car gets delivered.

Even if it does get installed, it's just held on with high strength double sided tape. Should be fairly easy to remove if desired.

Reactions: mrongey
The original plate holder comes with double sided tape, not glue. It is 3M VHB or something similar, which is far superior not only in strength to regular foam tape but also more durable. Regular foam tape I wouldn't trust for very long.

Great. 3M VHD is actually what I meant by foam tape, I just wasn't specific. It's easy enough to come by. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making an irreversible change by taking it off, and it sounds like if I keep the original hardware I'll be fine.

My X was delivered without the front bracket installed, but that's been 16 months. I'm asking a friend who take delivery of his X a few weeks ago at SLC if his was installed, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

I have installed the front license plates without drilling any holes. I used couple of toggle bolts, threaded rod cut to length, covered with heat shrink tubing and soldered nuts on one end. Cost me $5. If anyone interested, I can post pictures and some detailed instructions.

I have installed the front license plates without drilling any holes. I used couple of toggle bolts, threaded rod cut to length, covered with heat shrink tubing and soldered nuts on one end. Cost me $5. If anyone interested, I can post pictures and some detailed instructions.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 139
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: Pkmmte and ccutrer
I'm toying with the idea of getting my license plate printed on vinyl and just applying that to the front bumper like paint armor, as described here: Front license plate option Could pass a cursory look.

In San Francisco, you often get tickets if your car is parked on the street without a front plate or with expired registration. I've heard the public lots/garages in Santa Barbara are also places where those tickets are issued. Makes sense from their perspective - not stopping people driving with that risk and traffic tie-ups, and there are people already checking that the cars have paid meters. In CA, it's a "fix-it" ticket with a pretty low "fee," but the hassle of going to a Police station or something to get the fix certified.

The Model 3 I drove (belonging to a friend who is an employee) had no plate or bracket on the front. He said there is a bracket that you attach with glue tape if you want to install a front plate. Here in WA I was stopped a few years ago for not having a front plate on a new car. I was given a warning and told to have it put on ASAP. I did.

So apparently, at least for early-delivered employee cars, the Model 3 comes with a bracket that is not installed and the owner can decide.

I will ask them to install mine so I don't have to do it. Yes, it looks nicer without. But they've shown me that they will stop a car that doesn't have it.

The Model 3 I drove (belonging to a friend who is an employee) had no plate or bracket on the front. He said there is a bracket that you attach with glue tape if you want to install a front plate. Here in WA I was stopped a few years ago for not having a front plate on a new car. I was given a warning and told to have it put on ASAP. I did.

So apparently, at least for early-delivered employee cars, the Model 3 comes with a bracket that is not installed and the owner can decide.

I will ask them to install mine so I don't have to do it. Yes, it looks nicer without. But they've shown me that they will stop a car that doesn't have it.
I know in Model S the front license plate holder is attached using 2 screw holes on the bottom of the front face near the grill and glued on in the middle with a tape. Over time, I noticed that the tape lost its adhesion and the plate holder started to droop. So anything with adhesive product wont last long time especially on the front face as they are against the wind.

I know in Model S the front license plate holder is attached using 2 screw holes on the bottom of the front face near the grill and glued on in the middle with a tape. Over time, I noticed that the tape lost its adhesion and the plate holder started to droop. So anything with adhesive product wont last long time especially on the front face as they are against the wind.

Maybe the bracket has screw holes for those willing to drill??? I don't know. All I know is that the car I drove had no front license plate, and the owner told me that there's a glue-on bracket.

Obviously, Tesla is going to have to provide a permanent license-plate holder. It would not look good if people's license plates start falling off. :eek:

The right tape properly applied won't release and sag on its own. It's common practice to use engineered tapes like 3M VHB in manufacturing. In fact, many cars have structural parts joined to each other with tape. Don't assume that because it's tape it's weak. Typically, the opposite problem is more relevant—it will required concerted effort to remove later should you choose to do so.

Took delivery of a BMW in Germany in 2010. "Temp" front plate was on using that tape - rear had a holder. We got a personalized California set with the same set of letters (& numbers) to match but just installed the rear CA tag. Have seen others do this.

Anyway - front German tag still there - still holding up.

Got hassled by a cop in Fremont one day and got a 'fix-it' for no front tag. So installed (drilled holes in the black plastic) front frame and plate.

(He said "You Tesla people think you can get away with anything")