Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like your comment, Eric.
Here in Germany we are required to use HUGE licence plates. I guess so the police can read them while you are speeding along the Autobahn. Even Motorcycles have huge plates (read sails in the wind) albeit only in the rear.

In like the European plates! Besides, Europe is synonymous with fast cars and big plates just make me think German engineering and speed!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

When I locked in my contract, the person I was dealing with said that they would contact us prior to delivery. The choice will be whether to drill holes in the front bumper or not. It was his opinion that we are resourceful enough to find an aftermarket solution for those of us in front license plate states who don't want holes drilled.

When I locked in my contract, the person I was dealing with said that they would contact us prior to delivery. The choice will be whether to drill holes in the front bumper or not. It was his opinion that we are resourceful enough to find an aftermarket solution for those of us in front license plate states who don't want holes drilled.

How hard would it be for Tesla to offer that aftermarket item in their store at launch?

I think the "resourceful enough" line is a wink and nudge from official sources saying that they're cool with people just not mounting a front plate.

I don't think they want to get in trouble for sanctioning leaving off the front plate.

I think the "resourceful enough" line is a wink and nudge from official sources saying that they're cool with people just not mounting a front plate.

I don't think they want to get in trouble for sanctioning leaving off the front plate.

It really depends on what state and city you live in on what they'll do if you don't have a front plate. I'd really prefer a Tesla produced front bracket that doesn't drill holes into the bumper.

Looking carefully at the way the front bumper is set up, it would be reasonable to fashion a bracket to attach to the grille below the nose cone.

In fact, if I were to put any holes anywhere, they'd go behind that grille. I can't imagine where Tesla would put holes if you asked them to, other than at/around/near the air grille below the cone.

/Mitch.

Steve Jurvetson's VIN #1 car is beautiful without a front plate. When I get my Model S perf, there is no way I'm going to put a front license plate on it here in Calif.

My Benz dealer in Calif. just had me sign a form taking responsibility for mounting a front plate on my 2012 ML 350 Bluetec, which I'm not going to do. I never wore a front plate on my 2011 E350 Bluetec -- no problems. Same with the 2007 CLK 550 Cabriolet -- no front plate. The front of my old E320 I used for my son's learner's permit car has a German plate from Euro-delivery. I Scotch-taped the Calif. plate on top of it so he could pass his driving test. LOL. The front of my classic 1983 380 SL roadster never had a front plate, either. I've *never* been pulled over in any of these vehicles just for lack of a front plate.

The last time I got a speeding ticket (before I installed a GPS-aware radar detector), I told the officer I bought the car in Germany and it only has a bracket for a European plate. He just wrote for the speeding.

Talked about front plates with my gas-guzzling Escalade friend (who used to drive Hummers LOL!). He says he *never* installs *ANY* plates on his Calif. vehicles for the first year!

So I asked: "Do you carry the plates in case you're pulled over?"

He says: "No, I just keep the vehicles clean with the paper form on the front windshield. The cops think it's new and I haven't received my plates yet."

I asked: "So what do you tell them if they pull you over, see it's 11 months old and you have no plates?"

He says: "I'd tell them I never received my plates." (He's never been pulled over.)

I guess he doesn't care if his vehicles get stolen?

Anyway, I thought it was amusing. His form of civil disobedience, perhaps?

Neighbor and I got our MSs in last two days. Oregon requires a front plate and we both opted to get the front plate mount. Neither front plate mount was installed when the cars were delivered, and the plastic mounting bracket supplied is contoured to fit nicely with the old SIG nose cone but if installed, would be gappy and look terrible on the new nose cone. I called Ownership Expericned and they will note it for resolution. Others experience?

Any pictures out there with new Sig nose and license plate mounted? I opted for the front plate install as well after much deliberation. Although, I might be happy if they don't actually install it. Wonder how long it would take to get pulled over?

Any pictures out there with new Sig nose and license plate mounted? I opted for the front plate install as well after much deliberation. Although, I might be happy if they don't actually install it. Wonder how long it would take to get pulled over?

It really depends upon how power-trippy your cop is and whether he feels particularly imbued with power on the day he comes across you. Even before I had my permanent plates, I was asked by a local cop where the plate gets mounted, so it was noticed at least.

I just gave in and drilled the 5/16" holes, qty 3. They're easily plugged should I want/need to in the future.

This works great on my Boxster-S and I plan on doing it on the S if it ever gets here. Scan your plate and e-mail it to a sign shop. Have them make a static cling fake plate the same size as the original. Spray the bumper with water apply the fake plate and squeegee the air bubbles out with a credit card. Not "legal" I'm sure but it fools uncle leo. It has not come of even going triple digits.
staticplate.jpg