Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, my Model 3 is almost a year old and it's been a flawless ride so far. Today I got this Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault warning on the screen, and wonder if anyone else has seen this and what the outcome was. I've made a mobile appointment for repair, but am curious to learn more beforehand.

Thanks.
Well, I think you are very lucky because mine has a week old and I got the same warning. I went crazy, can you imagine, 1 WEEK OLD. I went to tesla Merritt Island, I wanted to return it. I was not surprised I was not able to return it. So much for the great TESLA!!

I had this message pop up a couple of weeks ago and I scheduled an appointment with Tesla service. The message was persistent for a few minutes when I started driving and then went away. The official concern reported on the estimate (my basic vehicle warranty expired) was "Passenger front seatbelt retractor alerts found" and I was quoted for over an $300 fix to remove and replace the seatbelt.

A mobile technician came today and opened up the seatbelt/adjustor pillar and found no issues and didn't find anything that was loose. He told me he can replace the seatbelt if I wanted but didn't want to charge me for something I didn't need.

Strangely enough, the alert went away with the latest software update.

So we ended up doing nothing and will monitor if the the message comes up again. He did mention that the issue was related to an OCS recall.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Mine was a different error code RCM_a021. Mobile tech came and replaced the seat harness for $160. I am out of warranty. All good now.
1678221931999.png

• Informative
Wife came home today and told me the car is throwing this error.

1689115562793.png

Put in for a service request and was hit in the face with a $605 estimate (removed personal info).

1689115636563.png

Asked if this is would be covered by the Supplemental Restraint System Limited Warranty since my vehicle was purchased in October 2018 and currently has 50,045 miles (falls under the 5 year, 60,000 mile limit for the SRS Limited Warranty) and was told nope.

1689115793107.png
1689115804701.png

So now I am bringing it in this Thursday, where I will likely have to pay $600 for who knows what.

In my case the error goes away when i lift the back side of the up/down toggle all the way up. Once I go down just a little the message shows up. I assumed this means there is either a loose connection or pinched wire somewhere. I cannot seem to find one, though. I pushed all connections I can see from going under from the front in all the way. Not sure if there is something else I should be looking for. Its clearly something physical happening in my case.

Attachments

• 1689115606437.png
    1689115606437.png
    255 KB · Views: 89
  • Informative
My 2019 M3P starting throwing the "RCM_a056" error for "front passenger safety restraint system fault." I've only driven it 3 times since and received the error on 2/3 of those drives. Original warranty just expired a couple months ago but luckily I bought the extended service agreement (still requires $100 deductible). Although, I would hope this is be covered under the supplemental restraint warranty, considering it's directly related.

They quoted me $1180 for the actual replacement of the passenger airbag and looks like instead of replacing the seat like some have mentioned here, they're retrofitting "SBR in OCS Equipped Front Passenger Seat." I'm not sure what that means. Seems like it includes the entire under seat harness and teh occupancy sensor itself. I'm not looking froward them them removing the entire front dash IP Carrier to replace the airbag. I can only imagine the NVH issues I'll have when I get the car back.

Judging by this thread and a google search, this appears to be a relatively widespread issue and the repeated service visits a lot of people are reporting is concerning. I'll update here with any new info regarding my case. It sounds like it could cause the airbag to operate in a less effective or more dangerous manner. If you're US based, I'd encourage anyone who encounters this issue to submit a safety concern to the NHTSA. It appears there are already a number of submissions on this issue. Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 86
My 2019 M3P starting throwing the "RCM_a056" error for "front passenger safety restraint system fault." I've only driven it 3 times since and received the error on 2/3 of those drives. Original warranty just expired a couple months ago but luckily I bought the extended service agreement (still requires $100 deductible). Although, I would hope this is be covered under the supplemental restraint warranty, considering it's directly related.

They quoted me $1180 for the actual replacement of the passenger airbag and looks like instead of replacing the seat like some have mentioned here, they're retrofitting "SBR in OCS Equipped Front Passenger Seat." I'm not sure what that means. Seems like it includes the entire under seat harness and teh occupancy sensor itself. I'm not looking froward them them removing the entire front dash IP Carrier to replace the airbag. I can only imagine the NVH issues I'll have when I get the car back.

Judging by this thread and a google search, this appears to be a relatively widespread issue and the repeated service visits a lot of people are reporting is concerning. I'll update here with any new info regarding my case. It sounds like it could cause the airbag to operate in a less effective or more dangerous manner. If you're US based, I'd encourage anyone who encounters this issue to submit a safety concern to the NHTSA. It appears there are already a number of submissions on this issue. Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
Thanks for the link - although my error seems to have disappeared today (for now) after pushing all plugs in hard under the seat last night, I'm still going to report it.

My issue was resolved by installing an occupant classification (OCS) filter module underneath the passenger seat. A mobile technician came and installed it in within 15 minutes and I have not had the issue since. I was billed almost $400 for it though. My car's original warranty has expired.

1690163866986.png
1690163910374.png

• Informative

I get the same error message and they quoted me 1796. How much did you pay at the end? I have appointment on Aug 13

Mines just had this message pop up (goigling brought me here). Mines uk so rhd, but says its the drivers seat. I'm going to have a good tug 😁 at the weekend but it is quite annoying. I did get caught in a tropical burst a few weeks ago (5 mins and it looked like I'd been swimming fully clothed) so don't know if that's the cause. Might try the seat heater on low trick too.

• Informative
I've got everyone beat! Just got an estimate of $2,064.12 to get rid of this error...
We first received the error on our 2018 when it was under warranty. They came out and installed the OCS. That fixed it for a time, but it eventually came back again. Today I got the error again and set up a mobile appt, and received the $2,064 estimate for repair that includes:
o Trim - Seat Back - Driver Seat(Remove & Replace) - $193
o Trim - Seat Back - FrontPassenger Seat (Remove & Replace) - $229
o Replace Occupant Classification System (OCS) of Front Passenger Seat while ServicingSubcomponents $605
o Update Front Passenger Airbag to Maintain Compatibility with Front Passenger Seat - $972

Seems like if they had fixed this the first time, then I wouldn't need all these additional repairs! I love Tesla cars, but come on man - this is just crazy!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Jedi2155
I've got everyone beat! Just got an estimate of $2,064.12 to get rid of this error...
We first received the error on our 2018 when it was under warranty. They came out and installed the OCS. That fixed it for a time, but it eventually came back again. Today I got the error again and set up a mobile appt, and received the $2,064 estimate for repair that includes:
o Trim - Seat Back - Driver Seat(Remove & Replace) - $193
o Trim - Seat Back - FrontPassenger Seat (Remove & Replace) - $229
o Replace Occupant Classification System (OCS) of Front Passenger Seat while ServicingSubcomponents $605
o Update Front Passenger Airbag to Maintain Compatibility with Front Passenger Seat - $972

Seems like if they had fixed this the first time, then I wouldn't need all these additional repairs! I love Tesla cars, but come on man - this is just crazy!

so they did cover under original warranty? I hope they cover under my ESA.

One of my buddies had this. A partially open water bottle leaked on the seat and it went thru the stitches and wet something in there. While waiting for SC appt. it went away (Prob dried), to never return.
I wonder if it's that's my problem.
Does drying thru the seat heater make error go away faster?

or I'll leave the car out in 103 degree heat out here in PHX and turn off cabin overheat ;)

Last edited:
For all of you that got it fixed under warranty, great. For those that paid for it, join us and file a complaint with NHTSA. They will open up and investigation and if a recall is issued you guys will get reimbursed. Takes 5 minute online or you can call in and let an agent do it for you. They have a call back system too so you don’t have to wait on the phone.

Tesla wanted me to authorize $2,500 for repairs out of warranty. After reading 4 different threads this definetly classifies as a known defect and major safety issue that they should fix for everyone.

NHTSA
Office of Defects Investigation
NHTSA complaints
Agent:

1-888-327–4236

Self File:

Report a Safety Problem: Tesla Front Passenger Restraint System Fault

www.nhtsa.gov

Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

File a complaint with NHTSA if you experienced a vehicle, tire, car seat or equipment safety problem that could be a safety defect.
www.nhtsa.gov
www.nhtsa.gov

Get your hard earned $ back

Add another one with same error (RCM_a021) on M3 RWD 2018. Already reported to NHTSA (thanks for link above)
Tesla wants $1300 to fix it (it's so random that we all get quoted widely different numbers)

Correction: Install Occupant Classification System (OCS) Filter Module
  • Total Parts Amount $125.50 (ferrite and module ocs filter harness)
  • Total Labor Amount $44.10
  • Labor Hours 0.18
Correction: Retrofit SBR in OCS Equipped Front Passenger Seat - Remove and Replace
  1. Total Parts Amount $662.10
    1ST ROW SEAT HARNESS ASSEMBLY - RIGHT HAND ($175)
    FIRST ROW - SBR - BOX - CLIP
    FIRST ROW OCCUPANCY SENSOR
    PASSENGER AIRBAG ($475)
  2. Total Labor Amount $264.60
  3. Labor Hours 1.08
Plus $122.5 for "general diagnostic".

Trying to negotiate with Tesla (hoping they'll agree to just try to install the new ocs filter module.

If it doesn't work, I'll try to fix the cable myself.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and SergeyUser
@Tioneb, how did it go with your repair? My case seems to be very similar to yours, see below.

Error message appeared for a few hours, then disappeared next day (it was a heavier passenger in the seat that day):

"Front passenger safety restraint system fault message (RCM_a056)".

My car: Model 3 2018 MR, Out of warranty, no ESA (Tesla introduced the ESA just after my original limited warranty expired), ~62k miles.

The quote I received from Tesla for this:

#1:
Concern: Customer states: Seats - Front passenger safety restraint system fault message (RCM_a056)
Correction: General Diagnosis
Amount: $112.50 ($0.00 parts, $112.50 labor)

#2:
Concern: Update Front Passenger Airbag to Maintain Compatibility with Front Passenger Seat
Correction: Replace Front Passenger Airbag And Update Vehicle Configuration - Remove and Replace
Amount: $972.52 ($513.52 parts, $459.00 labor)

#3:
Concern: Replace Occupant Classification System (OCS) of Front Passenger Seat while Servicing Subcomponents
Correction: Retrofit SBR in OCS Equipped Front Passenger Seat - Remove and Replace
Amount: $430.10 ($187.10 parts, $243.00 labor)

Total amount to fix: $1,515.12 (subtotal) + $57.82 (tax) = $1,572.94.

My Q&A with Tesla went as follows:

Q1: Why do you need to replace an airbag?
A1: To maintain compatibility with the sensor.

Q2: What will happen if you just replace the sensor?
A2: We will not do one without the other.

My questions:

1. Is anyone paying for the "General Diagnostics" item during your repairs?
2. Is there a way for me to avoid airbag replacement? Tesla seems to be unwilling to help.

• Informative
My own experience. I have an almost 5yr old 2018 Model 3 LR-AWD, with 55k miles. A year and a half ago, I got the warnings, took it in and they replaced a passenger seat harness under warranty:
Image 12-3-23 at 1.29 PM.jpeg

Then, after that I got more errors, so they added the OCS filter under warranty:
Image 12-3-23 at 1.30 PM.jpeg

Now, it's happening again:
IMG_1722.jpeg

Same errors are before. That was 2 days ago.

Seems to be positional in my car. If you move the passenger seat the fault gets triggered. I had moved the seat forward, so I could put some skis in the back. Moving the seat back and down, the fault seems to go away. Earlier in the thread some people had proposed that the harness was being pulled out, causing the faults. I already had the harness changed, presumably the new one is longer, but still get the fault. Having said that, it still feels like a situation where the seat harness gets moved, and triggers the fault.

Submitted a Service Request, and just got a mobile appt for January. My 5yrs is up in 10days, so I thought if this qualifies under the SRS warranty, I'd submit it before it expired. Anyhow, the initial estimate is "$0" for an "auto diagnostics", so I guess the mobile tech will diagnose it for free.
1701629365384.jpeg

Reactions: SergeyUser
Good Day All...Just got alert for the Front Passenger as well. Error code is "RCM2_a636". Happened when passenger exited the car after a 15min drive home, and wouldn’t clear all day yesterday (Sunday). I got a service center appt (which was wonky to begin with anyways) for 12/12. They told me it had to be a service center and couldn’t be a mobile ranger. Estimate is $0 since it’s a 22 with just under 18K miles. They immediately plan to replace the OCS and a harness (based on attached).

Today, I put my messenger bag and lunch in the passenger seat as I do each commute and the alert had cleared and didn’t come back. I’m still keeping the appointment and will push for the free repair. I’m slightly concerned they will turn me away if I show up next week and the alert is cleared. Based on all the posts, I see it’s somewhat inevitable it will go from intermittent to always on. Thanks for this thread. I’ll keep you posted on my repair after next Tuesday.
IMG_9439.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9428.jpeg
    IMG_9428.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Informative
I am still bitter from this bad experience.
I want to share it with everyone and to warn you how expensive it is to do repairs out of warrantly.

Last month my car (Model 3 SR+ , 2019, 90k miles, out of warranty) started showing an RCM_a056 error (Front passenger safety restraint system fault) every time I depart.
A mobile technician came in and tried a fix that didn't work. They sent me to the service center. The original quote grew from $200 to $2000 and once the work is done they arrived at $2,800. After negotiating hard, I managed to lower it to $2,650.
The most rediculous thing is that the new sensor itself costs just $11, it is listed in the invoice.

Here is a bit of technical details for anyone interested:

The sensor detects if an adult or a small child is sitting in the front passenger seat, by meauring the weight.
In a crash, if an adult is in the seat, the airbag in front of him will deploy; for a child, the airbag will not deploy, to avoid killing it.

The old seat sesnor (part 1121234-70-B, see picture below) sits under the passenger seat cussion and connects to a black plastic box ( part 1100036-00-C, I think Tesla calls it OCS, aka occupancy control system) under the seat. From there, it is plugged into the "right seat harness" that goes under the right front door sill to the front airbag. You can see a guy angrily yanking it out from a seat at

A brief research shows that this desigh has given Tesla quite a lot of troubles, like random errors showing up due to interefence from phones);
They used a "OCS filter module", part 1505034-00-B alog with a ferrite ring to try fixing these inteference problems. This is what the tesla mobile technician tried to do for me, but it didn't work, as my seat sensor was faulty.

So sometime in the last few years tesla overhauled their faulty design and started using a different seat sensor (part 099592-00-F). Unfortunatelly, it is not compattible with the front airbag, so replacing he sensor requires replacing the front airbag too, which inflates the repair costs. Strangely, the "OCS, aka occupancy control system" black box under the seat does not need replacement; my car still has the original one.

Here are the 3 repair items in my invoice:
- Retrofit SBR in OCSEquipped Front Passenger Seat -Remove and Replace : $ 187 plus 1 hour of labor.
- Replace Front PassengerAirbag And Update Vehicle Configuration: $995.20 plus 2 hours of labor.
- Trim - Cushion - FrontPassenger Seat (Remove & Replace): $880 plus 1.74 hours of labor.
-----
Total: $2,781.

Finally, mu grudge is: Tesla revamped their faulty seat sensor design which involves replacing more just the sensor. I had to paid thousands of dollars more for that.

Enjoy your Tesla 3, I still like mine after this.

Attachments

• TheOldSeatSensor.jpg
    TheOldSeatSensor.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 24
  • SeatControlModule.jpg
    SeatControlModule.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 20
  • TheNewSensor.jpg
    TheNewSensor.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 19
  • TheOcsFilterModuleThatTeslaUsedToTryFixingTheirBadDesign.jpg
    TheOcsFilterModuleThatTeslaUsedToTryFixingTheirBadDesign.jpg