Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else seen their front camera going blank due to rain?

Twice now I've had my front camera blank out for a day or two after a rain storm. In both cases, it eventually returned to normal.

I assumed these cameras were waterproof, but either they aren't, or I have a defective camera.

What would people suggest as a good way to waterproof the front camera without affecting the image?

Has anyone else seen their front camera going blank due to rain?

Twice now I've had my front camera blank out for a day or two after a rain storm. In both cases, it eventually returned to normal.

I assumed these cameras were waterproof, but either they aren't, or I have a defective camera.

What would people suggest as a good way to waterproof the front camera without affecting the image?
Unfortunately, the cameras aren't sealed as well as one would hope. The camera is housed by two molded pieces, a front & a back, held together by screws on the back, and sealed by a very small gasket:
Tesla-Front-Rear-Camera-Kit-18.jpg

I have experienced water intrusion in both the original camera and in the camera I installed in the front. I've found that adding a very fine bead of sealant, in addition to the gasket, works far better than the just the gasket alone.

I just noticed today that when switching between the front and rear camera, the screen no longer displays the "Camera Unavailable" message. Instead there is a short pause while the screen is black, and then the correct view just comes up on the display. I made a short (low resolution) video to demonstrate this:

I currently have firmware version 6.2.2.4.250 on my P85D. While it's possible that this behavior started with an earlier version of the firmware, my best guess is that it did not.

I'm wondering both how and why this behavior changed.

Anyone think this could be an indication that Model X is going to use both front and rear cameras?

In any case, I'm pretty happy with this change, as I never cared much for the "Camera Unavailable" screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
In any case, I'm pretty happy with this change, as I never cared much for the "Camera Unavailable" screen.

I've actually noticed both behaviors.. sometimes it says "Camera Unavailable" and sometimes it's just blank. No rhyme or reason why it's on or the other.

Also, if the MX has a front parking camera, I suspect they'll use a switching device that's more instantaneous that this kit, so there wouldn't be a blank pause between cameras.

I finally got my front camera kit installed today. (It's a long story) Anyway, it works great but the key fob only works with button "D". Is this normal? It would be more convenient if it worked with one of the larger buttons.

It's most convenient to program the button into Homelink. Then you don't need the remote at all. I actually had three things already programmed into Homelink, but decided that having the front camera switch in Homelink was more important to me than having the third one.

Edit: And to directly answer your question, I actually don't remember, since I don't use it, but I think yes, it probably is normal.

Hi Art

Fully interested in obtaining a couple of front camera kits. Are these still available? I have a friend who has your camera in his Model S and love it!
Thank you

The kits are no longer available but some buyers never installed theirs. I'd post something to see if you can get one. If you do let me know and I'll send you the install instructions.

Apparently the installer that installed my front camera switch for me tapped into the main wiring harness. I discovered this just now when I received a call from the service center manager where my car is having it's first annual service performed. I had asked them to check into a water leakage issue, which turns out to be due to how the installer ran the cables.

I'm looking at perhaps $2000 or more in parts and labor to take care of this, as there is already corrosion of the wiring harness. Because the wiring harness should never have been tapped into in the first place, if I don't replace it, Tesla would void the warranty on the 12V system components.

I am livid.

I know the installer is not going to "make this right", and I'm going to have to sue him in small claims court, which is going to be a royal pain, since he is a couple of hours away.

And after it's all said and done, the front camera switch won't be installed, as Tesla can't install it, since it's third party.

That's a shame. That's one of the reasons my switch is sitting on a shelf, still. I haven't had time to install it, and I don't know anyone trustworthy enough to do it.

I thought Rick's instructions were pretty straightforward. Where did your installer tap the harness and how did it lead to water intrusion? Might be helpful information for anyone yet to install one of these.