Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Corrected. Here's the updated list:

nkohlimd
tnguywn1221
Jason
dflye
JerryNycom
Leland
swegman
deonb
joefee
hbombdaddy
Gizmotoy
dopdoll
jyc
SteveW25561
simplesolar
DriverOne
KRB
doctrewho
Shumdit
NJ Plugin
Madartist
Snosrep
detlefo
omarsultan
Akikiki
tommyboy808
Robbo
felixtb
nastynate510
joefee
delanman
rekoh
dsmith2189
jpasqua
Hussain
efxjim
gbdesai
tomanik
RNG
kbeckly
Cindy Holland
Thumper
wormhole
drtko147
rcc
kirkp
iconoclast
mcmelch
passion4audio
cgiGuy
Malnodnarb
Klaus Fechner
Electric 1
Eggplant
P5802
harry
pilotSteve
Solarguy01
miamimd
JoshG
teslaguy
jamtek
JayNT
Mahedy
Conger
Bonlaw
michael1800
darthvdr
Ohms.Law
Aviationfw
russberger
rogbmw
jespo27
hybris
walla2
NJ Rob
jayfrost
Stoneymonster
HankLloydRight
Nickjhowe
gnychis
TeslaRumors
hamebone
Chris1howell
nickt
Don_K
scole04
Honolulu MS
Suzieq
big maple1
grand
Suprkar
albietfett
da_benj

I changed my user name from tnguywn1221 to peterspd. Please update mine that second on the list. Thanks

I am very interested in the front camera, but how easy will it be to install, and will it "damage" anything during installation? I checked the link to the first draft of the installation guide, but only found 4 pages and it didn't seem to complete the install. Can someone provide a summary for me?

Rick,
You added my name to the list above, then it disappeared on the following revision.

Sorry, fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

I am very interested in the front camera, but how easy will it be to install, and will it "damage" anything during installation? I checked the link to the first draft of the installation guide, but only found 4 pages and it didn't seem to complete the install. Can someone provide a summary for me?

Those are preliminary instructions to show the camera mounting and cable threading, the most difficult part of the install, which is pretty easy. There is no "damage" to anything and no risk of that.

I was also surprised to only find 4 pages in the installation manual. Not because I expected more or anything, but because it was 180MB!

Looking through, though, I did have a question. Lets say our bumper needs to come off for some reason. That'll require the wire to be pulled back through the car/frunk, right?

I was also surprised to only find 4 pages in the installation manual. Not because I expected more or anything, but because it was 180MB!

Looking through, though, I did have a question. Lets say our bumper needs to come off for some reason. That'll require the wire to be pulled back through the car/frunk, right?

I'll finish up the manual as soon as I have the Chinese cables and the license plate mounting bracket.

The cable coming from the rear of the camera is about a foot long. The three-meter Chinese cable connects to that. So to take the bumper off you just disconnect the two cables and leave the camera in place. Same if the camera is attached to the front license plate frame. No need to rethread or repull the cable that runs into the kick panel. Remember, my car was in an accident that required replacing the front bumper. The camera had to be remounted on the new bumper, but the long cable into the car was left intact.

I'll finish up the manual as soon as I have the Chinese cables and the license plate mounting bracket.

The cable coming from the rear of the camera is about a foot long. The three-meter Chinese cable connects to that. So to take the bumper off you just disconnect the two cables and leave the camera in place. Same if the camera is attached to the front license plate frame. No need to rethread or repull the cable that runs into the kick panel. Remember, my car was in an accident that required replacing the front bumper. The camera had to be remounted on the new bumper, but the long cable into the car was left intact.

That sounds great. I either missed that in the manual or didn't understand that's how it worked. I need to get my other parts ordered!

Here's a link to the first draft of installation instructions. These are not yet complete, as they show only how the camera cable should be threaded into the cockpit, and only for those without a front license plate. But when the camera is mounted on the front plate frame with the custom bracket we'll be offering, the threading will be essentially the same.

Thought I'd post these now so those with the camera can get a head start.

I wasn't able to open the instructions.

Looks like I got dropped... We exchanged emails about this early on...

Sorry about that. Your name is now on the list. I'm also keeping the master list in an Excel file to avoid these mistakes on my part,

- - - Updated - - -

Sign me up

Added.

White P85 should have the final production estimate soon, and then we'll begin taking pre-paid orders.