Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front seat a bit uncomfortable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The forums tend to concentrate and magnify complaints. We have experienced several Model S loaners and my entire family finds the next gen seats to be very comfortable. I am 5'8", my wife is 5'7", and my son is 5'11" and we all love them. My son commented that the side bolsters do a better job of holding you in the seat on twisty roads when dad drives fast (who me.... drive fast in a loaner??).
One size does not fit all.
I suggest a trial road trip for potential buyers.
It took about 300 miles for my discomfort to manifest.

Reactions: cybergates
i too have the next-gen seats, and my IT bands scream every time i am in the car for more than an hour or so. This was never an issue in any of the previous, mostly ordinary cars i have had.

Are the multi-pattern black seats (now the base config in the MS) any better?

Mine too, although I am in a Model X with Cream seats. I've found that I can fairly easily feel the seat frame across the width of the seat about few inches from the front of the seat.

The pic below shows where I feel the frame and it gets very uncomfortable even on short drives.

I will say that I'm a seating snob, dare I say, I am the Michael Jordan of sitting. I have a lifeform chair for the office, it's one of those million adjustment chairs, and I know how to use it.

Here are my tips:

The faux leather in Tesla is softer and more accommodating and cushiony, and if I had to go without leather, I'd probably do it now, but the ventilated seat option was nice even if it doesn't make a huge difference.

I find that because the seats are the exact same for the model s and x, the height spacer between the two vehicles is the biggest factor in making them feel comfortable.

I have a presaved driver profile labeled "SUV" in my model S where I sit very high in the cabin and have to move my sun visor to the side to see out of the front... It helps on long trips to go between seating options.

Most people don't sit in the correct position, they sit how it first feels comfortable when they first get in a car, and I think this is why a lot of people are fooled into thinking soft cushions are better... this is similar for shoes and mattresses I think.

I think the biggest room for improvement in the model S is in lengthening the thigh support and making a slightly softer bottom cushion.

Until then, try to sit like to this lady... one note, the safest seating position in the car, with steering wheel kind of far, is not ideal for back pain.... 90 degrees is best, because you want to keep your elbows in where you can use your core to steer....

picture.jpg

Hope you guys find this helpful... let me know if you want to book me for motivational speaking.

I think the biggest room for improvement in the model S is in lengthening the thigh support

I agree w/this 100%. I have the classic Model S seats and I wish the thigh support was another inch or two longer. To make up for that I usually have the front of my seat up quite high and the rear low; so I'm still sitting at a 90 degree angle but the whole seat is tilted back.

I find the front seat back to be a bit uncomfortable even after messing around with the settings a lot. The problem is that there's a harder section across the seat just above the lumbar support and below the recessed area in the top half or so of the seat. For me, that hits my back too high. It's not terrible, but on long trips it becomes annoying.

Any thoughts?
I have the same issue on my seats. I feel like it's gotten worse over the past 3 years.

IMHO the seats are the weakest part of the tesla, the seats in my early 14 were unbearable on longer rides, the seats in my late '15 are far more comfortable. too bad a replacement seat isn't made by someone like reccaro. I'd replace my driver's seat if there was an alternative