Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk electric lock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before v7.0, I clearly remember having to push down on the frunk until it latched. When I showed off the frunk today, I only had to use very little force before I heard an electric lock catch and close the frunk.

Am I remembering wrong, or did something change?

I have a 2015 85D built in May.

Tesla downloaded a new latch mechanism to you? Now that is​ impressive! :)

I know right? I can only assume the mechanism was already there but only activated with the latest update. I distinctly remember having to push with two hands until I heard/felt it latch. Now, I just gave a little bit of force and I could hear some electric mechanism activate and take it the rest of the way down.

Do you all have Ds? I think I only have a mechanical latch. I'll be shocked if it isn't.

Yes, one month old 90D why? Agree about the mechanical but a) you can release it electronically (touchscreen or keyfob and b) there's definitely an electrical sound that's simultaneous to closing it. Has to be my imagination or sudden superhuman strength.

2015s moved from a dual latch to a single latch, which was rumored to be electronically controlled. This is also why these newer frunks do not have an emergency release in the passenger footwell like the old mechanical ones do. Thus, it is quite likely they retuned the electronic latch.

2015s moved from a dual latch to a single latch, which was rumored to be electronically controlled. This is also why these newer frunks do not have an emergency release in the passenger footwell like the old mechanical ones do. Thus, it is quite likely they retuned the electronic latch.

Is that only on Ds? I tried out the frunk on a RWD showroom demo in the Newport Beach store two weeks ago and it had two latches. Their D model demo had one latch.

I thought it was all based on manufacturing time, but I have confirmed knowledge of that. All the loaners I've had had dual latches, but we're also late 2014 and RWD.

Found it discussed here Closing the single electronic frunk latch experience

see Firewired's comment.

Cyclone's right although it sounds like it's always been easier for D's and the electronics were already there. Still uncertain if it's easier now than two days ago.

I happened to open the frunk of my 70D yesterday, and I also was surprised at how easily it closed. I was expecting to need to do the 2-hand press, but discovered it was already latched. Since I have only closed it 3-4 times so far anyway, it could have been my imagination, but when I did it, I had installed v7 but had not yet read about this observation by others....

I did a quick before & after video on my 85D built in April 2015:

Verdict: No change for me, maybe my car is too old. It does have the newer style latch though.

Haha! Awesome, thanks for the investigative research! It's probably all in our heads, surreal that there would be multiple, independent thoughts that the frunk changed.

I did have a "wonderful" experience trying to test this out myself: It was nearing 1 AM, and I decided to see if it really felt different or not. I popped the frunk and pushed it down, and similar to your video, it caught a little, but not enough to truly engage. I tried to pull up on it slightly and HONK HONK HONK HONK — whoops, set off the alarm. With the garage door open. And my wife and our 3yo sleeping upstairs... Whoops.

Note to self: make sure the car is unlocked before playing with it after midnight.