Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrated with FSD timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if you are in AP and you come up on a slow moving truck and AP does not see it and does not slow down is that not unsafe? Or just confusion on its capabilities?
Excellent question! It's an example of confusion on its capabilities. The driver should be aware and in control at all times.

To support my claims, here is a direct quote from the owner's manual page 67 regarding traffic aware cruise control (TACC):

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed for your driving comfort and convenience and is not a collision warning or avoidance system. It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times. Never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model S. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.

That warning applies to both AP 1 and EAP with AP 2 / HW 2.

It's a confusion on its capabilities. The driver should be aware and in control at all times.

To support my claims, here is a direct quote from the owner's manual page 67 regarding traffic aware cruise control (TACC):
What is the point of AP if you have to keep your hands on the wheel and basically drive the car? So your saying Tesla is false advertising and hiding in its small print that you have to pilot the car?

Enhanced Autopilot
Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

But wait we also paid for Emergency Braking...

Automatic Emergency Braking
  1. Designed to detect objects that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly
So if it does not see an 18 wheel truck and cant brake accordingly I guess its doing what its supposed to do?

What is the point of AP if you have to keep your hands on the wheel and basically drive the car? So your saying Tesla is false advertising and hiding in its small print that you have to pilot the car?

Enhanced Autopilot
Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

But wait we also paid for Emergency Braking...

Automatic Emergency Braking
  1. Designed to detect objects that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly
So if it does not see an 18 wheel truck and cant brake accordingly I guess its doing what its supposed to do?

It is designed to keep with traffic but it's not flawless. As far as AEB it's completely unsafe if the feature is activated when it's not ready. A false positive will lead to an accident. Even when AEB is enabled, the warnings apply (page 86):

Warning: Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to reduce the severity of an impact. It is not designed to avoid a collision.

Warning: Several factors can affect the performance of Automatic Emergency Braking, causing either no braking or inappropriate or untimely braking. It is the driver’s responsibility to drive safely and remain in control of the vehicle at all times. Never depend on Automatic Emergency Braking to avoid or reduce the impact of a collision.

You can read similar warnings about AEB from other manufacturers.

Everything we've been talking about is considered an assistance feature under the umbrella of ADAS. They are not substitutes for a skilled, attentive, driver, but they can certainly make such a driver even better.

Last edited:
It is designed to keep with traffic but it's not flawless. As far as AEB it's completely unsafe if the feature is activated when it's not ready. A false positive will lead to an accident. Even when AEB is enabled, the warnings apply (page 86):

You can read similar warnings about AEB from other manufacturers.

Everything we've been talking about is considered an assistance feature. They are not substitutes for a skilled, attentive, driver, but they can certainly make such a driver even better.

The point is Tesla LIED and AEB was sold as being available in December 2016.. I am so tired of people ignoring facts.

testa-before-and-after.jpg

WILL BE AVAILABLE DECEMBER 2016. This is not a might be. These functions were sold as being available. I am still waiting for my simple Auto High-beams and Auto Wipers.. These are safetly features sold to me which I do not have.

Reactions: oktane and daktari
Its from copies of their website from October through January before they changed it. After they failed to deliver they changed the wording on their website to have begun rolling out in late January.
Ah, yes, you are correct that is a false statement that's still on their website. However, AEB is standard so hopefully people aren't thinking they paid for EAP just for AEB. They would have received it anyway once finished.

It will be standard on Model 3 as well.

Supposedly AEB is high priority for the next release.

Ah, yes, you are correct that is a false statement that's still on their website. However, AEB is standard so hopefully people aren't thinking they paid for EAP just for AEB. They would have got it anyway once finished.

The point is Tesla sold the vehicle with Safety features that are not available. That is what is unsafe about the safety features because they are not there. This is false advertising and quietly changing the text on the website and pointing to the new wording does not change the fact that people like myself purchased a car and expected features that we were promised.

• Love
Reactions: oktane and croman
1. So they operate completely independent of each other. Different dev teams too?
2. So AP2 was just a stop gap? Is this the reason its execution capacity has yet to be reached, and will it ever or is the goal to move to FSD asap? If FSD replaces AP2, does AP2 become unsupported? What if I'm not interested in FSD, but simply enjoy using APx?
3. Both my AP1 and AP2 cars appear to be reading speed limits, fwy & route numbers etc. I've had my car pick up the 110 fwy number as a 110 speed limit for example, and it slows where temp construction zones have reduced speed posted. So if the collective APs are not doing this, what is?
4. Are they actually enhancing AP1, so our AP1 cars can expect future improvements (per HW limitations) while also piggybacking nVidia? Or enhancing the AP1 code for temp AP2 (to be replaced by FSD) or solely for FSD?

I'd also like your opinion on the lifecycle of AP1 and AP2.....in other words, what the intended max capabilities might be, before fully focused on the next best thing, be it FSD or Mars. And lastly, do you view competitors having tech advantages or disadvantages as compared to the circuitous dev process at Tesla? Thanks.

1. This is my assumption based on the fact that Tesla was forced to develop AP2 in a hurry and the people who would be working on Autonomous driving would be more specialized AI/Machine Learning people. There is a lot of overlap with the image processing vision systems, but there is almost no other overlap as AP does not identify things like street signs and read them to know exactly what they mean. AP only sees the lane markings/curb and the car in front of it. As most will note, everything is a car in front of you so they are not wasting time on trying to figure out exactly what class of vehicle is in front of you.
2. Yes, sadly. Elon stated clearly that they wanted to run the development of EyeQ3 in conjunction with HW2. The crash and fall out between Mobileye and Tesla, which in part had nothing to do with the crash but the fact that Tesla was developing a competitive solution. All of this forced them to hack together what we lovingly call AP2 on HW2, when really its AP0.5 as some have noted.
3. Neither read signs, they rely on speed limits from the maps for that area.
4. HW1 doesnt have anything to do wtih nVidia. What nVidia is supplying is raw processing power and some machine learning and vision tech to accomplish AP2.0 features. I dont believe FSD will utilize much of what nVidia supplied but will use its own machine learning algos that have been in the works for sometime. Elon didn't just wake up in early 2016 and say.. wow we can just slap nVidia's GPUs in our cars and make them fully autonomous with nVidia's software. They have been working on this for a long time and since AP1 work started. Remember, they have billions of AP1 miles stored, that can be used for training the machine. Now they have millions of HW2 miles to include the different camera views.

Not quite because all the raw image processing where done by mobileye and on their chip.

There are over 2 million cars with that hardware in it and none have the ability of the 150,000 or so HW1 cars. I dont really know where the line is drawn between what Mobileye has done and what Tesla has done as it relates to AP1, but wherever that line is, its significant. As someone posted, just list me the cars that have AP1 or AP2 capabilities today in production? I will give you a hint, there are none.

This is actually false, while HD maps can be created with lidar AND camera, they cannot be updated by radar. Radar has a very difficult problem reading stationary objects and simply ignores it. Radar is 1D and gives you speed and direction and you can't create a point cloud (like lidar) with it. When tesla start developing their hd map, they will leverage their front facing cameras.

I agree, Lidar is used to create the HD maps and they cannot be updated with Radar, but radar can update and share landmarks that can be shared. An example is how HW2 would suddenly decelerate when you saw an overhead road sign on a freeway. Those landmarks where seen by the radar but not fully baked into the HD maps, probably in places where HD maps had not been completed. Enough cars see the same sign and all the sudden it becomes whitlisted. This could be a person who reviews these situations and manually whitelist the location or it could be learned over time or a combination.

Nothing Reciprocity said suggests that they have any insider information. Instead it's a solid post that summarizes a lot of what someone who clearly has read up a lot on self-driving cars has interpreted it as.

Which is great because it allows others who have done the same to nitpick it.

True, no inside info, just a lot of reading/listening. Everything I have noted is speculation, but its not without reading a lot. I purchased the Model X HW2 because I believed Elon when he said he considers autonomous driving basically solved. I think what he means is that its now just a matter of getting enough miles to teach the machine how to drive and enough data to prove the system is safer then a human. They should be able to process the millions/billions of miles of video data to show that the car would make better decisions then humans, yielding less accidents. They did something similar where they showed a graph of where drivers were in the lane vs AP1 and AP1 was like 4x more likely to stay in the center of the lane vs the human driver. I honestly don't think that is that valuable in terms of safety, because people often give more room to larger vehicles and cement walls. But it could be valuable if you analyze millions of miles and validate that the autonomous car would have made the same decisions as people in most cases and would have avoid accidents in other situations.

I think his timeline is aggressive, but we will see a coast to coast drive that is fully autonomous by the end of the year. My guess is that Elon is actually driving a car with basic FSD features today so he is seeing first hand how far along the software is at this point. Something similar to the Video they put out in Oct. 2016.

Reactions: croman and JeffK
The point is Tesla sold the vehicle with Safety features that are not available. That is what is unsafe about the safety features because they are not there. This is false advertising and quietly changing the text on the website and pointing to the new wording does not change the fact that people like myself purchased a car and expected features that we were promised.

By the way, my Prius doesn't have TACC, autosteer, self parking, any kind of summon whatsoever, and it most certainly doesn't have AEB.

At least your car will have all of those features as a mere software update. You are lucky enough to have the hardware and you have the privilege of driving a very safe vehicle. If we were to both get into the same kind of accident before you have AEB, you are still far more likely to survive than I am.

"Don't confuse critical thinking with merely being critical of everything."

:) a quote I am going to steal.

What is the point of AP if you have to

Whats the point? whats the point?

You can keep asking this zillion times until your ears go blue, and no amount of folks answering how relaxing and great it is, would satisfy you. All I can say is AP1 has reduced my stress levels dramatically in my everyday commute. That is THE point.

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK
:) a quote I am going to steal.

Whats the point? whats the point?

You can keep asking this zillion times until your ears go blue, and no amount of folks answering how relaxing and great it is, would satisfy you. All I can say is AP1 has reduced my stress levels dramatically in my everyday commute. That is THE point.

AP2 requires you to hold the wheel every minute or it will shut down so there is no benefit to it and you might as well just drive it if you have to keep your hands on the wheel all the time. As an AP1 user, You are not experiencing this constant nag so you cant understand it.

AP2 requires you to hold the wheel every minute or it will shut down so there is no benefit to it and you might as well just drive it if you have to keep your hands on the wheel all the time. As an AP1 user, You are not experiencing this constant nag so you cant understand it.

Ok, drive yourself. Your allowed to have your opinion and share it with everyone. Here is my opinion...

I'm pretty happy with AP2.0. Looking forward to being available on state highways.

First long drive this weekend. 50 miles on I-35. Traffic varied between ~25 to ~75mph.

Activated Auto Steer when I got on the highway. Put my arm on the door armrest, lightly held the steering wheel with two fingers. Didn't mention anything to my wife (she doesn't enjoy anything about car shopping, etc, so knows nothing about auto pilot).

After the first 5-10 minutes she stopped her habit of informing me of every traffic slowdown ahead as the car constantly kept a fixed distance.

Priceless.

Yes, I had two fingers on the wheel. Yes, I had my foot ready to hit the brake. Yes, I turned it off during the 2 mile construction zone. Yes, I tried to not follow anything other than a typical car/pickup (just in case). But wow, so much easier.

Ok, drive yourself. Your allowed to have your opinion and share it with everyone. Here is my opinion...

I'm pretty happy with AP2.0. Looking forward to being available on state highways.

First long drive this weekend. 50 miles on I-35. Traffic varied between ~25 to ~75mph.

Activated Auto Steer when I got on the highway. Put my arm on the door armrest, lightly held the steering wheel with two fingers. Didn't mention anything to my wife (she doesn't enjoy anything about car shopping, etc, so knows nothing about auto pilot).

After the first 5-10 minutes she stopped her habit of informing me of every traffic slowdown ahead as the car constantly kept a fixed distance.

Priceless.

Yes, I had two fingers on the wheel. Yes, I had my foot ready to hit the brake. Yes, I turned it off during the 2 mile construction zone. Yes, I tried to not follow anything other than a typical car/pickup (just in case). But wow, so much easier.
I have to say, this was precisely my experience in my overnight demo drive late last week... TACC and Autosteer worked flawlessly within the speed parameters we know they currently have (Autosteer 35 local, and I tested up to 75 highway). TACC slowed coming up on vehicles, all the way down to 0 MPH and started up again. Autosteer did perfectly on straight and curves. I give it a 100% for the day I had it.

Of course it doesn't do everything that has been 'expected' of it, of course it has a ways to go. But do I want it? Definitely. I'm only waiting to be sure the July reveal doesn't reveal something 'we gotta have'.

Edit: BTW, Model X 75D with 17.14.23

Reactions: JeffK

And perhaps even more importantly, that wording "will be available in December 2016" together with EAP "expected in December 2016" that has been pictured many times on this thread certainly made it a reasonable conclusion that while there would be a two-three month pause in Autopilot (October through sometime December), then it would come in an update - and by Elon's word be beyond AP1...

Nobody reasonably could have expected (unless they assumed Tesla told could not be believed) that not even AP1 parity would be here in late April 2017, when much more than AP1 was expected to be available in December 2016... and certainly, as pointed out, many of other related automatic features that were told to be available in December 2016 (not just expected) are not here yet even today.

There is a pattern. And the pattern is Tesla told us one thing and delivered quite another.

Last edited:
There are over 2 million cars with that hardware in it and none have the ability of the 150,000 or so HW1 cars. I dont really know where the line is drawn between what Mobileye has done and what Tesla has done as it relates to AP1, but wherever that line is, its significant. As someone posted, just list me the cars that have AP1 or AP2 capabilities today in production? I will give you a hint, there are none.
We already know what the mobileye eyeq3 chip provided to tesla. It did all the advanced NN processing and gave tesla all the outputs.
This includes detecting roadway markings such as lanes, road boundaries, barriers and similar items, cars (and) identify and read traffic signs and traffic lights.
  • Free Space Pixel Labeling
  • Holistic Path Planning
  • General Object Detection
  • Sign Detection

more: Exclusive: The Tesla AutoPilot - An In-Depth Look At The Technology Behind the Engineering Marvel - Page 4 of 6

There are alot of cars that have level 2 ADAS using mobileye.
For example:
Volvo (IntelliSafe Assist and Pilot Assist) uses eyeq3, My Experience With Tesla's And Volvo's Autopilot - Volvo AB ADR (OTCMKTS:VLVLY) | Seeking Alpha
Audi (Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane Assist and Traffic Jam Assist) also uses eyeq3,
From Audi to Volvo, most “self-driving” cars use the same hardware
Nissan Propilot also uses eyeq3
Japan: Nissan ProPilot uses Mobileye’s image recognition SoC
Nissan's new Serena ProPILOT technology makes autonomous drive first for Japanese automakers
GM's supercruise also uses eyeq3
BMW uses eyeq3
Hands free: Tesla Model S P90D vs BMW 730Ld

Semi-Autonomous Cars Compared! Tesla Model S vs. BMW 750i, Infiniti Q50S, and Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG - Feature

https://www.citi.com/commercialbank/insights/assets/docs/car-of-the-future-v3.pdf

And many other automakers driver assistance are based on eyeq3.
I don't have unlimited time to keep searching.
Audi & Nissan will also release a L3 car in 2018.

I agree, Lidar is used to create the HD maps and they cannot be updated with Radar, but radar can update and share landmarks that can be shared. An example is how HW2 would suddenly decelerate when you saw an overhead road sign on a freeway. Those landmarks where seen by the radar but not fully baked into the HD maps, probably in places where HD maps had not been completed. Enough cars see the same sign and all the sudden it becomes whitlisted. This could be a person who reviews these situations and manually whitelist the location or it could be learned over time or a combination.

Those low resolution maps such as tesla's high precision map using gps logging and car's speed and their whitelist radar map is useless when talking about fully self driving cars. You don't need whitelist when you have hd maps that includes overhead road signs on freeways and bridges. You simply augment your camera based HD map with radar.

I think what he means is that its now just a matter of getting enough miles to teach the machine how to drive and enough data to prove the system is safer then a human. They should be able to process the millions/billions of miles of video data to show that the car would make better decisions then humans, yielding less accidents. They did something similar where they showed a graph of where drivers were in the lane vs AP1 and AP1 was like 4x more likely to stay in the center of the lane vs the human driver. I honestly don't think that is that valuable in terms of safety, because people often give more room to larger vehicles and cement walls. But it could be valuable if you analyze millions of miles and validate that the autonomous car would have made the same decisions as people in most cases and would have avoid accidents in other situations.

This is a myth and one of the BIGGEST tesla myth, there are no 1 billion TB of video sitting at Tesla HQ.
There's no such thing as miles data. There's the high precision map data from gps logging and speed for curves and their radar whitelist added on top and that's it. All of which Tesla has been very public about.

Tesla is mapping out every lane on Earth to guide self-driving cars

Remember, they have billions of AP1 miles stored, that can be used for training the machine. Now they have millions of HW2 miles to include the different camera views.

One the biggest and most ridiculous tesla myth.
This is exactly why i post here, because of illogical myths like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: metier
I believe the point was that although many automakers use eyeq3 chips, Tesla's implementation was widely regarded as the best.\

This is a myth and one of the BIGGEST tesla myth, there are no 1 billion TB of video sitting at Tesla HQ.
There's no such thing as miles data.
I wouldn't say it's a myth per se, but a misconception on how the miles of data are stored. It's likely similar to how MobilEye does it and you're correct it's not a billion TB of video data. Tesla is also interested in disengagements or when a human does something that the machine was not expecting and recording the outcome of the event.

Amnon Shashua described the MobilEye system called road experience management as recording small data packets of under 10 KB per kilometer

We already know what the mobileye eyeq3 chip provided to tesla. It did all the advanced NN processing and gave tesla all the outputs.
This includes detecting roadway markings such as lanes, road boundaries, barriers and similar items, cars (and) identify and read traffic signs and traffic lights.
  • Free Space Pixel Labeling
  • Holistic Path Planning
  • General Object Detection
  • Sign Detection

more: Exclusive: The Tesla AutoPilot - An In-Depth Look At The Technology Behind the Engineering Marvel - Page 4 of 6

There are alot of cars that have level 2 ADAS using mobileye.
For example:
Volvo (IntelliSafe Assist and Pilot Assist) uses eyeq3, My Experience With Tesla's And Volvo's Autopilot - Volvo AB ADR (OTCMKTS:VLVLY) | Seeking Alpha
Audi (Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane Assist and Traffic Jam Assist) also uses eyeq3,
From Audi to Volvo, most “self-driving” cars use the same hardware
Nissan Propilot also uses eyeq3
Japan: Nissan ProPilot uses Mobileye’s image recognition SoC
Nissan's new Serena ProPILOT technology makes autonomous drive first for Japanese automakers
GM's supercruise also uses eyeq3
BMW uses eyeq3
Hands free: Tesla Model S P90D vs BMW 730Ld

Semi-Autonomous Cars Compared! Tesla Model S vs. BMW 750i, Infiniti Q50S, and Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG - Feature

https://www.citi.com/commercialbank/insights/assets/docs/car-of-the-future-v3.pdf

I don't have unlimited time to keep searching.
Audi & Nissan will also release a L3 car in 2018.
I think you missed his point. His point is not that there are no other cars using EyeQ3. In fact he said there are over 2 million (while Tesla only makes up ~150k of that). The point is none of those cars come even close to matching the capabilities of AP1 or AP2 (see your own review link for the BMW for example). This seems to suggest that the success of AP1 is not an inherent part of EyeQ3 (because if it was an inherent part of EyeQ3, then all the lane keeping systems using EyeQ3 should be as good as Tesla's).

Supercruise is pretty much the only system that seems to have a chance (we'll see the reviews when it comes out). However, even that suggests it is not Mobileye that deserves the credit, but rather GM's extensive development (if you are to trust GM's PR).

Reactions: croman