Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 11.3.2 on the Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone with the new 11.3.2: How does it handle lane changes on freeways while using navigation? Are they automatic — and annoying — like City Streets while navigating? (I seldom use navigation and FSD together on City Streets due to the excessive and bizarre lane changes.)
I assume you mean - traffic-based lane changes, not changing lanes to take an exit...

I find it much better in the 4 commutes I have had so far. You get three choices: chill, average, and assertive. That selection controls both follow distance and how often it changes lanes for traffic. There's also a checkbox to "minimize lane changes the rest of this trip". On my commute the exit for my work is preceded by another exit about a mile before it. Prior to v11, it would always get in the right-most lane about 2 miles before my work exit is stay there getting me caught up in the off/on-ramp traffic for the exit before the one I needed to take. With v11 on average, it's been staying one lane over to avoid that.

I have not tried "assertive" yet.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
I assume you mean - traffic-based lane changes, not changing lanes to take an exit...

I find it much better in the 4 commutes I have had so far. You get three choices: chill, average, and assertive. That selection controls both follow distance and how often it changes lanes for traffic. There's also a checkbox to "minimize lane changes the rest of this trip". On my commute the exit for my work is preceded by another exit about a mile before it. Prior to v11, it would always get in the right-most lane about 2 miles before my work exit is stay there getting me caught up in the off/on-ramp traffic for the exit before the one I needed to take. With v11 on average, it's been staying one lane over to avoid that.

I have not tried "assertive" yet.
I only have one commute under my belt on 11.3.2 but I too noticed that it was smarter about waiting to get into the right most lane on a 6 lane highway in order to take an exit. Prior to this, it was always getting over too early and getting snagged in bad traffic from other exits/merges, and now it gets into the rightmost lane at the exact "right" time (for my definition of right).

I'm not on FSD yet, but when I'm on NoA here in So Cal, it wants to get into an exit lane or interchange lane way way ahead of time. Traffic is usually so intensely heavy that it can be a long time before any space opens up at all to make the lane change. And that applies to when I'm driving myself as well...!!! Using your turn signal here is like sending out an invitation to all other drivers to close up any space so you can't make the change...

• Funny
Reactions: ChimpledPot
We drove about 700 miles last weekend on 11.3.2. Probably 550-600 miles AP/FSD was engaged, almost all on freeway. I thought I'd offer a few observations. (Remember, we now have the FSD stack running on the freeway.)
  • The behavior when passing trucks (or being passed by them) is much improved. If the truck is in the lane to my right, the car cheats to the left of its lane to give greater clearance. It does this smoothly and gently, and then moves back to center when the pass is done. Much less terrifying than older versions. In fact, not terrifying at all--confidence inspiring. (This applies to motor homes and other biggies too.)
  • Handling curves in the freeway is overly timid, in my opinion. In older software, I often had the impression it was taking a mountain curve too fast, like I half expected it to lose traction, so I tended to dial back my set speed in mountainous freeways. Now it's gone too far the other way, slowing way down entering curves, even being a bit of a nuisance for other traffic. It would even go slower than the yellow safety speed signs. For example, in a 65 mph zone, we might be entering a curve with a yellow 55 sign. The car would slow to 52 or 49 to make the curve.
  • We had four or five instances of phantom braking heading north on I-5. In every instance, there was a car so far ahead as to be no immediate threat (quarter mile?) but that car happened to be in a mirage. I assume the mirage made the car look bigger to the computer, so it assumed it was closer and freaked. Simultaneous with the braking, it would initiate a lane change to a "faster lane" even though it wasn't called for.
  • A new behavior I've never seen before. If the freeway has at least three lanes, and we were in the right lane, it would change to the left, saying, "Changing out of rightmost lane." I often drive that way too, but I've never seen AP do it.
  • It's too wimpy about getting out of the passing lane. Or maybe "inconsistent" is a better word. Sometimes it'd do so promptly when faster traffic approached from the rear, other times not, even when the next lane over was clear. So I initiated many lane changes in such situations.
  • Lane splits were handled with human-like smoothness instead of the panicky indecision it used to exhibit.
  • I don't think there was a single merge lane where the car swerved into the merge to goofily maintain center. Nice.
  • Speaking of merges, I had my first-ever instance where the car saw another car merging even while there was still grassy area between the freeway and the merge lane, and it moved left courteously anticipating the merge. On the other hand, there were instances where it held its ground, creating scary situations.
Since then we upgraded to 11.3.3, but not much to report there yet. I doubt much change--the release notes look the same at a glance.

I don't think there was a single merge lane where the car swerved into the merge to goofily maintain center. Nice.
That’s a great one to be resolved. One of my bigger complaints about autopilot. If nothing else, you just look like an idiot to others when that happens. I drive on one road quite frequently where there are several situations like that. So I have a choice between that behavior, or being in the left lane all the time and irritating all the people that insist on going 80 miles an hour in a 55.

Reactions: CharleyBC
Even when asking FSDb to limit lane changes, it lane changed when getting close to a slow car. One way around it is to tell it to lane change before that happens. There may be an exception to that if an exit is coming up soon, need to test more.
11.3.3 switched the lane to the right with a slow truck when it was approaching a left exit and had to switch the lane to the left. This version of Auto-not-a-pilot is some kind of joke. It's absolutely terrible and undoubtedly unusable.

Does FSD rely on internet? not a tech person. Frequently on state highways in high rolling hills Where internet drops in and out. Also problem yesterday with phantom braking 4X in 306 miles with alsolutely nothing and no other cars. Good lane markings, etc.

Does FSD rely on internet? not a tech person. Frequently on state highways in high rolling hills Where internet drops in and out. Also problem yesterday with phantom braking 4X in 306 miles with alsolutely nothing and no other cars. Good lane markings, etc.
Also one phantom brake the car went from 65 mph to 5 mph very very quickly before recovering with help from my foot on the accelerator after it reached 5 mph. No one else was around so I could just let it keep breaking. Totally weird. And scary. Overall, I like all the driver assist modes but somebody has to fix the phantom.

Also one phantom brake the car went from 65 mph to 5 mph very very quickly before recovering with help from my foot on the accelerator after it reached 5 mph. No one else was around so I could just let it keep breaking. Totally weird. And scary. Overall, I like all the driver assist modes but somebody has to fix the phantom.
Possibly bad map data? Or GPS got confused and thought you were on a different road with a speed limit of 5mph?