Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 2023 build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely! After all the false promises, price changing, hardware versions, and future speculation, I don’t know why anyone would pay $15K for FSD. Subscription model is the way to go! Isn’t there also a cheaper EAP subscription now?
No. EAP can be purchased for $6000 and then FSD can be subscribed to for a $100/mo as opposed to $200/mo if you don't have EAP.

If Apple treated releases the same way that Tesla does:

Hi! I'm Tim Cook, and I'm excited to tell you about some amazing new features we've been working on!

Starting with an amazing new version of Facetime, available on IOS 16.2.24, which launches between 2 weeks and 12 months from now exclusively for customers with iPhones older than 2022 who are subscribed to full-iCloud. IOS 16.2.24 is our most advanced release to date - not to be confused with IOS 17, which we launched a few months ago. IOS 16.2.24 leverages the cutting-edge features of our oldest phones - it's so advanced that it isn't even compatible with our latest hardware!

Next, we have re-enabled voicemail for customers with 2023 iphones on IOS version 17.2.13! This is the first of three features that used to be available that we are now re-enabling for new customers. If you've ever used visual voicemail on an iPhone and thought "I wish this basic feature that worked on my previous iPhone would work on the new iPhone I just purchased" - well, now it sort of works almost as well as it does on our older phones! The calendar and calculator apps also might be re-enabled at some point within the next few weeks or months. Or not!

Oh... and one more thing.... Later this year - or maybe next year - we will be combining the best features of IOS 16.2.24 and 17.2.13 into a single version available to everyone! <audience gasps> Just make sure you have advanced updates disabled and avoid opting-in to any interim bug fix releases until such time as the yet to be announced version is available, which as previously stated may or may not be released this year or next.

Either way, make sure you are subscribed to full-iCloud to take advantage of all of these new features or none of them, depending on your phone.

Difference really is that Apple is hardware driven and Tesla isn't, so they release using the most widespread software build and release framework in the software industry.

I thought I would put the software on advanced a maybe get 2023.6.15 but I see 2023.12 is also floating out there and I’m guessing if I get that by mistake I can say goodbye to fsd for a while. If an update does show up and it’s not the one with fsd, ill Ignore it, but if that one is pending how will I be alerted when another version becomes available?

I explicitly upgraded to 2023.12.1 today (even knowing the info in this thread) - because I wanted the phone controls with the left scroll wheel. Coming from my previous car, I can't imagine why there were no phone controls on the steering wheel until now.

So, I will not be on FSD (and FSD beta) for a while - but that's ok - I will wait. Tesla's policy is helping me save my money!

Osho

Reactions: jebinc
I subscribed when I saw that 2023.6.15 was coming. I am on 2023.6.11 now and didn't want to risk missing this round of FSDbeta entry, also not sure if maybe they will roll it out to me a little faster since I've been using FSD already. Who knows, I've already decided ill prob keep the subscription for the entire time I have the car so I guess oh well if the first $200 was for auto lane change 😄.

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold
Wow... this thread was such a shocker.

I just bought MX with HW4 couple of weeks ago (my first tesla). And, I am willing to give Tesla $15K more to try out FSD Beta. But, I have no idea when it will be available or it will even be possible to tell that FSD Beta is available for my vehicle when it is actually available.

What a mess. I can't imagine paying for any goods or services such high amount where there is such an uncertainty about actually receiving the said goods or services.

Osho
Welcome to Tesla, the company. The cars are great, but the company is often a bit chaotic, and Elon's statements tend to be more aspirational than they are realistic. Service and parts departments are under stress from rapidly increasing fleet size. So patience is a necessity.

TeslaFi can monitor and record your trips and charges, bu also shows what versions are going out. New releases are often detected there and discussed in various threads here on TMC. So these are ways to know when you may be able to play with FSD beta yourself.

Be forewarned: FSD beta is not FSD. It is an experimental prototype undergoing frequent updates, all of which still have serious flaws. Some folks paid for FSD years ago and are still waiting, waiting, waiting. We bought our Model Y at the end of 2020, including FSD, and started testing FSD beta in the middle of 2022. While it is pretty amazing what it can do, It is not yet ready for prime time. As a technophile ( I think machine vision will soon revolutionize the world economy) I enjoy making my little contribution to the progress toward a true self-driving car.

Beta is in the hands of over 100,000 "testers" in the US and Canada, many of whom populate several threads here on TMC posting countless complaints and praises, and debating details of AutoPilot from torque sensors to zipper merges. A great time sink with lots of speculation and random observations.

One bit of advise, follow the suggestions of Enright above. Installing new versions of the car's software will prevent FSD from downloading. This is because FSD beta "updates" are based on older production version, and Tesla does not let cars upload older version - no down-dating, I call it.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Another question is how HW4 fits into the current upgrade path, and does that mean there will be yet another branch?
If I were the system architect, the FSD software directly associated with the sensor hardware would build and continually update a computer model of the car's world of roads and traffic etc. Quite separate from that software you'd have other software concerned with relating the forgoing model to a model of the mapping and an associated model of the intended route. Other software relate the forgoing to instructions from the driver both instantaneous and stored as driving objectives. The segmentation of software means a great deal of it does not have to talk to the hardware and instead references only what it needs from internal computer models of whatever may be relevant in the world. Those internal models may take essentially equivalent forms regardless of what hardware sensors were used to infer them. That means that somebody with old sensors and an old autopilot computer can potentially still enjoy at least some of the newer software. A big factor is computing power. Old computers are not apt to have the necessary computing power to respond as rapidly to developing situations. So I'd guess old hardware may ultimately lead to less snapy response to evolving traffic situations meaning less efficient driving with lane changing opportunities missed, more turns missed etc. Also the new hardware has higher resolution cameras so distance perception is improved and again a better chance to respond most efficiently to situations. I'm just guessing of course, but my guessing is based on a significant background with what is called real time software - which is a generic software term that applies to FSD.

Also the new hardware has higher resolution cameras so distance perception is improved and again a better chance to respond most efficiently to situations.
I can definitely see a difference in distance perception. The distance that the car displays traffic lights in the binnacle is borderline unbelievable. The lights show up several seconds earlier on a 40mph road on hw4 than 2.5. Don't know if it matters though, based on some other posts I've seen it looks like a majority of stoplight and stop sign interactions come from map and gps data as several folks report the vehicle still slows on previously removed lights.

Well, it looks like 2023.12.x is now running on the majority of vehicles across the entire fleet, the only real exception being cars with FSD beta that are still on 2022.45.X.

I am still on 2023.6.11 dutifully closing the upgrade prompt window every morning for fear that the next wide release of FSD is still 2023.6.15 as previously reported:

On the one hand, it seems odd that Tesla would push 2023.12 out so aggressively (it's the widest / fastest release of any 2023 build to date) right before merging FSD beta to an older 2023 branch - but then again nothing about the release cadence has made much sense so far.

Who else is with me in the 5% (and shrinking) 2023.6.X club?

Well, it looks like 2023.12.x is now running on the majority of vehicles across the entire fleet, the only real exception being cars with FSD beta that are still on 2022.45.X.

I am still on 2023.6.11 dutifully closing the upgrade prompt window every morning for fear that the next wide release of FSD is still 2023.6.15 as previously reported:

On the one hand, it seems odd that Tesla would push 2023.12 out so aggressively (it's the widest / fastest release of any 2023 build to date) right before merging FSD beta to an older 2023 branch - but then again nothing about the release cadence has made much sense so far.

Who else is with me in the 5% (and shrinking) 2023.6.X club?
Me. Funny thing is I haven’t been prompted for the update. I hope it stays that way as I don’t want the chance for something to go awry by accident. Wonder if I wasn’t prompted by design, since I purchased FSD and the mothership knows to not send a higher version update than the one that is coming.

Me. Funny thing is I haven’t been prompted for the update. I hope it stays that way as I don’t want the chance for something to go awry by accident. Wonder if I wasn’t prompted by design, since I purchased FSD and the mothership knows to not send a higher version update than the one that is coming.
I think that is possible - I was stuck on 2022.X factory firmware while subscribed to FSD and opted in to beta. I was prompted to upgrade to 2023.X the very next day after my subscription expired - I don't think that was a coincidence. Had I renewed the sub for another month, I probably would have stayed on 2022.X and would have gotten the beta a few weeks later like most of the other 2022 firmware peeps.

If only there was a way to know how to actually get FSD beta.

Here is the ideal user experience IMHO:

When subscribing or purchasing FSD, a pop-up window appears:

"Important Note - FSD Beta is not yet available for your vehicles firmware. Please choose from the following two options:

- Activate my subscription now and activate FSD Beta when available [NOTE - This will temporarily suspend software updates]

- Automatically activate my subscription when FSD beta is available for my vehicle. [Note- This will temporarily suspend software updates]"

Or Tesla could simply just tell us which version we should be on if we want the best chance of being eligible for FSD beta... Nah, that's crazy talk.

John

I think that is possible - I was stuck on 2022.X factory firmware while subscribed to FSD and opted in to beta. I was prompted to upgrade to 2023.X the very next day after my subscription expired - I don't think that was a coincidence. Had I renewed the sub for another month, I probably would have stayed on 2022.X and would have gotten the beta a few weeks later like most of the other 2022 firmware peeps.

If only there was a way to know how to actually get FSD beta.

Here is the ideal user experience IMHO:

When subscribing or purchasing FSD, a pop-up window appears:

"Important Note - FSD Beta is not yet available for your vehicles firmware. Please choose from the following two options:

- Activate my subscription now and activate FSD Beta when available [NOTE - This will temporarily suspend software updates]

- Automatically activate my subscription when FSD beta is available for my vehicle. [Note- This will temporarily suspend software updates]"

Or Tesla could simply just tell us which version we should be on if we want the best chance of being eligible for FSD beta... Nah, that's crazy talk.

John
The problem with this is FSD Beta is not yet an official product or a feature of the FSD Capability package. The list of features you get are on the website and Autosteer on City Streets (AKA: FSD Beta) is listed as "coming soon". So when you subscribe or buy the FSD Capability package you are not getting FSD Beta. That is something Tesla MAY (or may not) choose to let you try.

The problem with this is FSD Beta is not yet an official product or a feature of the FSD Capability package. The list of features you get are on the website and Autosteer on City Streets (AKA: FSD Beta) is listed as "coming soon". So when you subscribe or buy the FSD Capability package you are not getting FSD Beta. That is something Tesla MAY (or may not) choose to let you try.
Agreed on the beta part, but:

a) It's still not unreasonable to provide clear instructions for how to get the beta if that's the feature of FSD you are interested in - rather than the current "pay and pray" model

b) Most of the features in Enhanced Autopilot that aren't labeled as beta are still not available to 2023 USS-less vehicle owners, making FSD beta the only thing of value to upgrade for. In fact, one feature (park assist) is only available if you do NOT upgrade.

For example, for all USS-less 2023 vehicles:

- Autopark - not available at all, no ETA
- Park assist - only available if you do NOT opt-in to beta
- Summon - not available at all, no ETA
- Smart Summon - not available at all, no ETA

None of the above features have a beta label next to them on Tesla's website:

I have faith these features are coming - but a little more transparency and proactive communication couldn't hurt.

Here comes 2023.12.5 - huge push to 3,800+ cars on TeslaFi - the most I've seen so far:

Am here I am, one of less than 2% holding out on 2023.6.11. Deep down, I am 100% sure that if I upgrade, FSD beta will be released on the 2023.6.X branch the very next day.

Sman_Tesla.jpg