Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Anomaly leaving/entering highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got FSD today and I noticed issues leaving/entering a highway from a city street. With two left-turn lanes off of the ramp onto city streets, the car attempted to complete a turn from the first lane into the second lane. With two lanes entering the ramp from a city street, the car almost came to a dead stop in the middle of the turn (there were no obstructions/pedestrians AFAIK).

In both of these cases, I had to assume control of the car to avoid an accident. Is this sort of thing typical with FSD or very unusual?

Just another observation: when I'm the first car leaving a red light, the car is VERY slow accelerating, but when there is a car ahead of me the car accelerates nicely keeping appropriate spacing from the car ahead. Thoughts?

When posting about FSD it helps to mention the version you are on. Most are still on V10, but V11 started rolling out over the past 2 weeks or so. Even if you received it today, there's no guarantee you would be at V11.

For your questions, sounds about right. When I am first at a light I typically give it a boost with my foot until it gets going. I just got V11 and both things you listed have happened with V10 and V11.

I had to assume control of the car to avoid an accident. Is this sort of thing typical with FSD or very unusual?
Pretty typical. I never assume it can do complex turns or interchanges and I am pleasantly surprised when it does a simple maneuver well.

I’m on FSD Beta 11.3.6. Been in the beta program since October 2020. Been experiencing the development of autopilot since November 2017.

Thanks for the responses, folks. Sorry about omitting the version - FSD 11.3.6. I also have gone through the growing pains of autopilot since 2015. The new stack does several things better than the old (like lane merges). I just thought that a right turn onto the freeway ramp would be snoother, and that it wouldn't screw up the lane assignments on a left turn off the ramp. Fortunately, I didn't assume that it would work (trust but verify?).